What is the Thai national character?

Logosone

11 hours ago, smutcakes said:

i could not give a toss about what their perceived national character

But  thats  not what the Op is  asking all nations have a perceived character whether you like it  or  not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Just adding to the Brit who made fun of all others except themselves

Nah I  dont know  how Brits are perceived by other nations so I deliberately  left them out especially by Asians. The French would say we are soap  dodgers but  I think the Dutch like us due to the war?

7 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Beside the fact that I am German and don´t like Bratwurst so much, is eating Bratwurst (or garlic as the French do how you wrote) really a kind of a character? 

of  course, if I ate Cow pie you'd  know I was British.

download.png

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

I notice one year play TVF already that a lot of Brits like criticizing a lot. The most.

But very sensitive if recieve it. The most. IMO 

I believe they not see themself. 

TVF Thais criticism everyday. No problem for Transam, but if something about UK, is very sensitive. 

This OP is stupid, thai people south, north, Deep South, central, Issan north and south, all have different culture, music, dance, language, food etc.

Even in a region, the people different. North Issan (Laos) different South Issan (Khmer), Ranong culture different than Satun culture.

Somebody say is for another thai bashing thread. I think so. 

ps I not know German famous for dreaming.

i know..

1)Famous for Hitler.

2)And in tourist area is famous for stingy. 

And Dutch people famous for be very tall. Similar to Netherlands people. And Holland people.

Every country have good and bad and wonderful people.

Thais famous for  trolling, even a moderator told me this once.

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Transam makes a very good point. You do seem entirely unable, in any debate involving the UK, or more particularly England, and especially if you are arguing or commenting on the posts made by someone who is English, to resist indulging your somewhat stereotyped and often frankly offensive opinions on England and the English. I have for some time considered they you take a balanced approach to any topic involving the United Kingdom, England or the English. Balanced, as you appear to have a chip on both shoulders!

Blimey you need a  bigger  "pinch" to read  this thread.

6 hours ago, bodga said:

Nah I  dont know  how Brits are perceived by other nations so I deliberately  left them out especially by Asians. The French would say we are soap  dodgers but  I think the Dutch like us due to the war?

Not sure the Dutch like you guys because of the war, its been so long we hold no grudge against the Germans anymore either. (except some old people who might think about the war).

Lets put it this way the Dutch don't see you as any better or any less of other countries around us. Just a bit easier to understand.

And no it truely is the English who are soap dodgers its in the urban dictionary.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bodga said:

It's  his  stiff  upper  lip and quiff holding him  back, us  Brits aren't over  keen on  American spellings of "English"

Its confusing i just call it all English. You guys might have invented the language but the Americans have adapted it and there are more of them. So in a way your English is slowly loosing ground because its spoken by a minority. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Transam makes a very good point. You do seem entirely unable, in any debate involving the UK, or more particularly England, and especially if you are arguing or commenting on the posts made by someone who is English, to resist indulging your somewhat stereotyped and often frankly offensive opinions on England and the English. I have for some time considered they you take a balanced approach to any topic involving the United Kingdom, England or the English. Balanced, as you appear to have a chip on both shoulders!

Yes because i have found its often the English who do the most Thai bashing. So then I even it a bit out. Had it been Americans (or whatever nation) I would have done the same. I don't have a problem with people from the Uk I have a problem with Thai bashing. So i often point out the difference between the comments on topics where a Thai does something and a Brit. For some reason you guys are often in the news negatively (probably because there are many of you in Thailand)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Maybe he not like English people. 

Not have Dutch law “You must like English people.”

Up to him. 

Some not like Thai people.

Up to them.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure the Dutch like you guys because of the war, its been so long we hold no grudge against the Germans anymore either. (except some old people who might think about the war).

Lets put it this way the Dutch don't see you as any better or any less of other countries around us. Just a bit easier to understand.

And no it truely is the English who are soap dodgers its in the urban dictionary.

Being Dutch and 75 and worked lived near Coventry for 14.5 happy Years i make little sense of anything he posts !. Typical Young Me Me sprouting popular rhetoric beloved of Facebook types..

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe he not like English people. 

Not have Dutch law “You must like English people.”

Up to him. 

Some not like Thai people.

Up to them.

I can't understand why the English stay in Thailand if all they do is bash Thainess. Seems they should go somewhere they like. But, on the other hand maybe they don't like anything including themselves. Maybe they think they are clever or superior, but to me they are pathetic. 
I was told that many British pensioners came to Thailand when the pound was strong and now they are poor and disgruntled. No one's fault but their own.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes because i have found its often the English who do the most Thai bashing.

Sure. 

First three month play TVF, is shocking me, they say that.

But it not because “Thailand”. They do it for everyone, especially Chinese, India, Pakistan, Russia, women, gay people etc.

And some Australia, USA etc. 

Even do with Scotland. (Confusing me). Now Scotland want to divorce?

Now not shocking. Make me laughing. 

Trump also like criticize. So much.

But sensitive same baby criticize him. 

Some Thais not like foreigner. But not talk about it much.

Is not big problem same as UK and USA. Fight to much about racism. Fight the statues etc.

very sensitive.

is stupid IMO, especially NOW covid time.

thailand not have leftys or hard right. 

98% thai ok about foreigner.

Try be freindly, happy you choose thailand for visit. Want you to enjoy your stay. 

Happy to be freind if the good guy.

Can be freind with any, farang, Chinese, Pakistan IF the person good, polite, country NOT important.

Thai National character not complain, criticize everything, everybody. Boring to listen. 

Enjoy your stay. Be polite. Have a good time.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Not puffing.. Trans guess you have no sense of humor. Brits are often called soap dodgers and Dutch stoners. So im not doing myself any favors either. Just adding to the Brit who made fun of all others except themselves. You really have thin skin Trans. 

So its ok for Brits (the guy i responded to is a Brit) put others down.. but then when someone else makes a small jibe at a Brit and his own nationality you start to cry.. strange.

Was that 'once a year' whether they needed it or not?   PML

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Being Dutch and 75 and worked lived near Coventry for 14.5 happy Years i make little sense of anything he posts !. Typical Young Me Me sprouting popular rhetoric beloved of Facebook types..

I don't use facebook.. sorry. 

30 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

So you think we as Dutch like the English more. Must be your age that your close to the second world war. The younger generation has no such idea's. I have no problem with Germans or English.  I might prefer Brits over Germans but only when the Germans don't speak good English. Otherwise there is no difference for me. For me its all about communication and finding like minded people. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I can't understand why the English stay in Thailand if all they do is bash Thainess. 

They “bash” everyone same. If this is “Burma Visa Forum” they will do it for Burmese.

They also bash each themself. (Many about Liverpool people?) 

i know who they not like. Especially China, India, Russia etc. 

Still I not know who they like? 

They like anyone?

12 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I often wonder why British Nationalists seem so thin skinned. Surely the nation which brought us the worlds biggest empire and Dunkirk would be made of sterner stuff.

Try reading some books on the subject....????

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

They “bash” everyone same. If this is “Burma Visa Forum” they will do it for Burmese.

They also bash each themself. (Many about Liverpool people?) 

i know who they not like. Especially China, India, Russia etc. 

Still I not know who they like? 

They like anyone?

"They like anyone?"

I'm British - sure, anyone with a good sense of humour. However, most posts are way off topic. Have lived in Thailand and married with a Thai for 20+ years, for me as a generalisation of some Thai national characteristics are, in no particular order:

Greng jai

Tough

Sanook

Superstition

Respect for family elders