Wiring spec for kitchen power and lights.

Andycoops

I am a total novice on matters electrical, advice please on the cable I need to buy at the local DIY store.

I have a kitchen with 5 power double power sockets and 3 light switches, 1 is a double light switch.

What is the correct electrical wiring/cable I should buy for the electrician to install.

The appliances are the normal stuff of fridge, washing machine, toaster, kettle etc.

I have a safe t cut box to run the cabling from with 8 circuit breakers, 1 is for the kitchen.

2.5mm2 3 core (or 3 singles in conduit) on a 20A breakerfor the outlets 

1.5mm2 2 core on a 10A breaker for the lighting, most sparkies here don't bother with ground for the lighting.

If you have extra positions for breakers I would run two circuits for the kitchen outlets, you can soon approach 20A with a table-top oven, microware and kettle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you don’t have an electric oven or cooker then 2.5mm for power and 1.5mm for lights, if you think you may use electric cooking in the future then 4mm for power is going to be safe.

Unless you are going to have a special "cooker" point I wouldn't bother with 4mm2. The unfused Thai plugs are only good for 16A or so and you don't really want them on anything much bigger than a 20A breaker.

I would let your sparks supply the cable if you don't know what you are looking at. Just verify that he's using 2.5 on power and 1.5 on lighting.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would let your sparks supply the cable if you don't know what you are looking at. Just verify that he's using 2.5 on power and 1.5 on lighting.

of the right  colours  not what he has lying  around

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

1 is a double light switch.

Do you mean 2 switches in one box or 2-way switch?  (3-way in the states)

If a 2-way switch there would need to be another 2-way switch somewhere else.

In either case (and if not carrying N through the box) there will be 3 wires going to the box.

If you are want to wire it "American" style, I'd run two or possibly 3 circuits using 2.5mm2 on 20 amp breakers and run the lights from one of those circuits and forget about the 1,5mm2 wire. 

5 minutes ago, wayned said:

If you are want to wire it "American" style, I'd run two or possibly 3 circuits using 2.5mm2 on 20 amp breakers and run the lights from one of those circuits and forget about the 1,5mm2 wire. 

The US NEC calls for at least 2 kitchen circuits using L1 and L2 with a shared N.  Lighting is usually on separate circuit.  Nothing wrong with your suggestion but I would argue that it's not "American style".