'A free man': Trump commutes longtime adviser Roger Stone's prison sentence

rooster59

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Odd then that Trump commuted Stone’s sentence rather than pardon his crimes.

Stone remains a convicted felon, his only gain here is he’s not yet going to prison. 

Let's save the discussion of this aspect until January.

14 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Maybe if the water gets to hot for him - He can apply for political asylum in Russia ... On the grounds of political prosecution ... ???? 

In the near future (but not near enough) there could very well be a ghetto in Russia of the detritus of the American infamy of this time, all living well and paying tribute to Big Vlad.  Jared and Ivanka maybe will opt for Israel.

Brazil is known for not having an extradition treaty with the US, but after living there for a bit I've seen that it is actually handled on a case-by-case basis.

• Confused 1

A troll post has been removed.

Posts using videos from unapproved YouTube sources  have been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube  etc.) should always be shown.

11 hours ago, riclag said:

This got me thinkin about how Stone's testimony,could play a significant role in Durham's  criminal investigation of the mueller prosecutors ! And now mueller comes out of hiding to defend the people that are under criminal investigation just when Durham is about to... lol . There below, is the best part ,his quote "the women and men acted with the highest integrity". Mr. Flynn's attorney  is Lhao on that remark.

"We made every decision in Stone's case, as in all our cases, based solely on the facts and the law and in accordance with the rule of law. The women and men who conducted these investigations and prosecutions acted with the highest integrity. Claims to the contrary are false," Mueller wrote.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/11/politics/robert-mueller-defends-roger-stone-prosecution/index.html

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xkxj/bill-barr-picked-a-mueller-like-prosecutor-to-investigate-the-mueller-probe

“punt it until after the election,” Fox News reporting on a possible delay until November, it looks more and more like justice for Trump—and the country—will be denied. oops

https://amgreatness.com/2020/07/09/where-the-hell-is-john-durham/

49 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

“punt it until after the election,” Fox News reporting on a possible delay until November, it looks more and more like justice for Trump—and the country—will be denied. oops

https://amgreatness.com/2020/07/09/where-the-hell-is-john-durham/

I think it will come in October. After Comey in 2016 it will be Barr/Durham this time.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Another point to note is that since Stone's sentence has been commuted he no longer has the right to invoke the Fifth Amendment for questioning with regards to any of the matters covered by his conviction.  That means he could be subpoenaed in the future and if he were to lie again under oath could be indicted for perjury.

I need to correct this part of my earlier post.  While a pardon deprives the recipient of the right to invoke the Fifth Amendment, a commutation does not.  That is probably the reason that Stone specifically requested the commutation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 3:46 AM, Peabody said:

Interesting his sentence was commuted. He was not pardoned. He is still guilty.

Pardoning would have meant that he could be made to testify in court without fifth amendment claims (right to not self-incriminate).

Well pointed out. They're cool with walking around as a convicted felon rather than being free and clear but with a chance that they'd be forced to spill the beans (and no doubt lie under oath AGAIN). 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

Thats nice, and i just had a sandwich. Both have nothing to do with the topic.

Trump cronyism at its best. Fill that swamp.

your funny ! Your acting as if this POTUS isn't entitled to use his office

42 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

What are you even on about?

The office of the POTUS using its pardon and  commutation powers! Is this not allowed for Mr. Trump. Some posters  from distant lands aren't aware that for over 200 years the office  has allowed this right!

In defense of the office it only seems logical to point at past office  holders actions in comparison to this office holder. imop  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

There you go Mr. riclag.

Seems you got me lol !

I won't open a  2019 article that tells me to disable my ad blocker!

Cut to the chase  !

Barr has said it is the...

"ATTORNEY GENERAL WILLIAM BARR: Well, I think it's the president's prerogative.-- it's a unique power that the president has. And it's certainly something that is committed to his judgment. But as I say-- I felt it was-- appropriate prosecution and I thought the sentence was fair".

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/attorney-general-bill-barrs-interview-abc-news-transcript/story?id=71696291

Barr claim ,which I disagree with of "appropriate prosecution" at that time is being determined by investigations currently !

So I have a prerogative of 3 days ago  and a 2019 report  that I can't read that a poster said that Barr said it is a crime for a president in pardoning according to the leahey questions !

I went in the transcripts of Mr. Barrs confirmation hearing with leahey and klobuchar ! Only "pardon's" were mentioned . 

Did Mr. Trump pardon Mr. Stone!

https://www.congress.gov/116/chrg/CHRG-116shrg36846/CHRG-116shrg36846.htm

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, riclag said:

Seems you got me lol !

I won't open a  2019 article that tells me to disable my ad blocker!

Cut to the chase  !

Barr has said it is the...

"ATTORNEY GENERAL WILLIAM BARR: Well, I think it's the president's prerogative.-- it's a unique power that the president has. And it's certainly something that is committed to his judgment. But as I say-- I felt it was-- appropriate prosecution and I thought the sentence was fair".

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/attorney-general-bill-barrs-interview-abc-news-transcript/story?id=71696291

Barr claim ,which I disagree with of "appropriate prosecution" at that time is being determined by investigations currently !

So I have a prerogative of 3 days ago  and a 2019 report  that I can't read that a poster said that Barr said it is a crime for a president in pardoning according to the leahey questions !

I went in the transcripts of Mr. Barrs confirmation hearing with leahey and klobuchar ! Only "pardon's" were mentioned . 

Did Mr. Trump pardon Mr. Stone!

https://www.congress.gov/116/chrg/CHRG-116shrg36846/CHRG-116shrg36846.htm

For all you people from distance lands ! Barr (head of law enforcement in the USA) talks about the office which is over 200 years old,  he doesn't talk about this POTUS in general>

WILLIAM BARR: Well, I think it's the president's prerogative.-- it's a unique power that the president has. And it's certainly something that is committed to his judgment.

• Like 1