Non-Immigrant Visa type "O-A" (For Retirement long stay) ??

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Only if you're male.

There is no requirement to work or have income if you're a foreign female married to a working Thai male.

I didn't take that into consideration when I wrote my post.

I would not think that would immediately happen and she would need to be on a non-o visa or extension of stay to apply for it and be able to stay here until it's approved.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That means you do not need insurance since you did not enter using a Non-OA visa.

There is not quota for applying for a Thai nationality. The quota if for a applying for a permanent residency at immigration under the immigration act. Thai citizenship is done under the Nationality Act and is applied for at the Special Branch police office.

Thai is due to immigration not having anything to do with applying for Thai nationality. Immigration only processes permanent residency applications.

Both require you to be working with a work permit and paying taxes.

Thank you very much, Ubonjoe. 

I will check for the Permanent Residency Status. I am a retired Canadian Citizen of Indian Origin. I wish to stay in Thailand for a long time. Only visits to India and Canada , every year. My Danish friend in Kalasin Province says to me that I should live , retire and die in Thailand. I said to him " Yes. That is my plan and I wish my ashes be immersed in the Mighty Mekong River ."  Hope it will work out for me. 

Please take care.

Thanks . Regards, 

Ken Sundaram.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, Talung66 said:

i just reread his email dont know how he is ok till may 2021. might have got his 2 year extended in thailand. dont think he left the country this year

I have permission to stay until 2 may 21. it's almost 2 years. Back to 30 day TV if i leave and return b4 then. 

Must be an error, maybe he meant March. Borders were closed in May it would have been impossible to get the one year stamp on arrival at that time, and immigration won't provide a stamp in-country on a visa that's still active. 

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Must be an error, maybe he meant March. Borders were closed in May it would have been impossible to get the one year stamp on arrival at that time, and immigration won't provide a stamp in-country on a visa that's still active. 

Indeed, the post he quoted mentioned March 2021 for his permission to stay. 

Hello!

Thank you all, that is a very informative thread!

I have a question about the mandatory insurance. One of my friend is a Belgium national and he is 83 years old. He never subscribed yet to any insurance in Thailand, but it seems that he will have to in a few months. The problem is that he is already too old to subscribe to the insurance mentioned previously as, apparently, you must have subscribed before your 75th anniversary.

Is there any other insurances that may accept him as a new customer and that provide the mandatory insurance requested by Thai authorities for his future extension request? 

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Edited by PaulHisson

12 minutes ago, PaulHisson said:

Hello!

Thank you all, that is a very informative thread!

I have a question about the mandatory insurance. One of my friend is a Belgium national and he is 83 years old. He never subscribed yet to any insurance in Thailand, but it seems that he will have to in a few months. The problem is that he is already too old to subscribe to the insurance mentioned previously as, apparently, you must have subscribed before your 75th anniversary.

Is there any other insurances that may accept him as a new customer and that provide the mandatory insurance requested by Thai authorities for his future extension request? 

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Did he enter on an O-A visa or is he here on extension of a non-O?

No insurance requirement for non-O, only for O-A

if he is on an O-A then it is indeed a problem as there is no provision for people unable to get insurance.

Is he married to a Thai?

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Did he enter on an O-A visa or is he here on extension of a non-O?

No insurance requirement for non-O, only for O-A

if he is on an O-A then it is indeed a problem as there is no provision for people unable to get insurance.

Is he married to a Thai?

He is on an O-A and not married to a Thai.

49 minutes ago, PaulHisson said:

He is on an O-A and not married to a Thai.

This is a problem. As far as I know none of the companies on the approved list will issue a new policy to someone over age 75.

I have heard that some (not all) Imm offices seem nto to be enforcing the insurance requirement on OA extensions. Which IO does he use?

And when is his extension due? Best option would be to leave the ocuntry and return viusa exempt and change to a non-O, but that of course is nto currently possible to do.

Otherwise options are:

1- talk to his local IO and see if there is any flexibikluty

- if not try using an agent

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

have heard that some (not all) Imm offices seem nto to be enforcing the insurance requirement on OA extensions. Which IO does he use?

Correct Sheryl. I have read 3+ reports regarding this where io did not require the insurance. One was for a fella in similar situation 80+. The others from different imm offices. Can't recall, think one was Phuket. 

Anyway your suggestion of approach the io and also have fall back for agent assisted is the way to go.

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This is a problem. As far as I know none of the companies on the approved list will issue a new policy to someone over age 75.

I have heard that some (not all) Imm offices seem nto to be enforcing the insurance requirement on OA extensions. Which IO does he use?

And when is his extension due? Best option would be to leave the ocuntry and return viusa exempt and change to a non-O, but that of course is nto currently possible to do.

Otherwise options are:

1- talk to his local IO and see if there is any flexibikluty

- if not try using an agent

He usually reports at Nong Khai immigration. I don't know exactly when is extension due, but it is probably at the end of this year or in early 2021 as my friend told me that it is not currently a urgent matter. But it seems that it might be much more difficult than what he thinks!

2 hours ago, PaulHisson said:

He usually reports at Nong Khai immigration. I don't know exactly when is extension due, but it is probably at the end of this year or in early 2021 as my friend told me that it is not currently a urgent matter. But it seems that it might be much more difficult than what he thinks!

The potential problem will only turn up by the time his 1-year extension of stay is due for renewal.  That's end of this year or early 2021 according to your post.

Options:

1 - Enquiring at his local IO whether they would provide leniency, because an over 75 year old cannot get the thai IO-approved health-insurance as none of the thai insurers will provide it to him.  Providing leniency in such case would be sensible.

2 - When the land-borders are open by the time his 1-year extension of stay is due, he can do a simple border-run to 'kill' the permission to stay from that original Non Imm O-A Visa.  After returning Visa Exempt, he can then apply at his local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And in the last 30 days of that 90-day permission to stay, he can at that same local IO apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  The requirements/conditions for a 1-year permission to stay are exactly the same for a Non Imm O or a Non Imm O-A extension for reason of retirement, but the Non Imm O does NOT require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive Guideline Document outlining all options/details to apply for such a Non Imm O Visa (for reason of retirement).  And it is written from the perspective of those currently on a Non Imm O-A Visa and wanting to get rid of that health-insurance scam.

> In order to access your PM messages just click the letter icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulHisson said:

I suggest that 30-45 days before he needs to extend he go to Immigration and ask for a list if what he needs. If insurance is listed, explain that he cannot get it due to his age and see what they say. If insurance is not listed (and assuming a written list was provided) then I'd keep silent but come in for the extension 30 days ahead of time in case it comes up then.

If unsuccessful at IO directly then contact an agent.

the above is assuming land borders stay closed. Should they open before his extension is due,. leave and return visa exempt and then convert to non-O.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I suggest that 30-45 days before he needs to extend he go to Immigration and ask for a list if what he needs. If insurance is listed, explain that he cannot get it due to his age and see what they say. If insurance is not listed (and assuming a written list was provided) then I'd keep silent but come in for the extension 30 days ahead of time in case it comes up then.

If unsuccessful at IO directly then contact an agent.

the above is assuming land borders stay closed. Should they open before his extension is due,. leave and return visa exempt and then convert to non-O.

Thank you! I will explain that to my Belgian friend.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

The potential problem will only turn up by the time his 1-year extension of stay is due for renewal.  That's end of this year or early 2021 according to your post.

Options:

1 - Enquiring at his local IO whether they would provide leniency, because an over 75 year old cannot get the thai IO-approved health-insurance as none of the thai insurers will provide it to him.  Providing leniency in such case would be sensible.

2 - When the land-borders are open by the time his 1-year extension of stay is due, he can do a simple border-run to 'kill' the permission to stay from that original Non Imm O-A Visa.  After returning Visa Exempt, he can then apply at his local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And in the last 30 days of that 90-day permission to stay, he can at that same local IO apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  The requirements/conditions for a 1-year permission to stay are exactly the same for a Non Imm O or a Non Imm O-A extension for reason of retirement, but the Non Imm O does NOT require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive Guideline Document outlining all options/details to apply for such a Non Imm O Visa (for reason of retirement).  And it is written from the perspective of those currently on a Non Imm O-A Visa and wanting to get rid of that health-insurance scam.

> In order to access your PM messages just click the letter icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

Thank you, Peter!

Yes, I just read your private message. I will transmit and explain that to my Belgian friend.