Is My O Visa Truly Expired?

I am a regular follower of this topic but now I'm panicking.

My O Visa Extension based on retirement expired on July 9th.

I understood that the amnesty to July 31st meant I could apply for my extension up to July 31st.

Is that true or not?

I would have applied by that date but I needed to renew my passport and only received my new passport on Saturday .

I'm hyperventilating so some advice most gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Headgame.

Edited by Headgame
  • Haha 1

Why do you need to renew your passport first? You could have just applied on your old passport and then transfer the retirement stamp over.

Now your retirement visa has expired and I think you need to reapply again for a new non-O visa. The amnesty mean you won't be penalised until 31 July but after that, you need to go out of Thailand and get a non-O visa.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Why do you need to renew your passport first?

Because they only give you an extension until the date your passport expires.  Many embassies were closed for months.

15 minutes ago, Headgame said:

I understood that the amnesty to July 31st meant I could apply for my extension up to July 31st.

Is that true or not?

Some IOs are refusing to process in this case - putting such applications in the "only with agent money for me" pile (with folks who had a late transfer-payment, used their money-in-the bank temporarily for an emergency, etc). 

I would suggest trying to apply in-person first - explaining the difficulty obtaining a new passport, with embassies closed - and not wanting to spread covid by traveling / queueing, etc - per govt advice, and why said they gave the amnesty in the first place.

If that fails, your only option would be to contact an agent, who will likely be able to "arrange" your extension for a hefty fee (most of which goes to immigration)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If that fails, your only option would be to contact an agent, who will likely be able to "arrange" your extension for a hefty fee (most of which goes to immigration)

Are you encouraging people to feed those corrupt officers and agents?

Were embassies in Thailand closed during COVID for six? I didn't know that.

Anyway, one should renew their passports around 6 months before expiry date.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

Your situation has been discussed many times. The majority of folk think that your annual extension based on retirement should of been done prior to expiry of your current permission of stay expires. 

You did not do that and I for one believe you will need to start over.

Personally I would attend your imm office and ask them. 

Some other experienced members believe you can obtain your annual extension up untill July 31. 

Good luck.

This guy started a thread about your situation. He may update you of latest reports @Peter Denis

Edited by DrJack54

Your permission to stay only expired 3 days ago, and you had a very valid reason for not applying for the 1-year extension sooner, mainly the renewal of your passport.

So I would suggest visiting your local IO ASAP and explaining your situation.

It would be relatively easy for them to 'back-date' your application.  There have been reports of IOs doing that during non-Amnesty times and they simply charged you the 500 THB/day overstay for the couple days you were late.  During the Amnesty overstay isn't fined, but a small token of gratitude when they are willing to provide leniency would probably be appreciated.  Instead of money, bring  a bottle of good whiskey or something of the like (to avoid any 'corruption' claims) well visible in the bag you bring with you...

Also if the lower desk officer you are dealing with is difficult and reluctant to handle your application, firmly but politely ask to talk with the officer in charge to plead your case.  When being polite, apologetic (even if it was not your fault) and respectful, chances are the office will provide leniency.

>> In case they are adamant and refuse to accept your application for the 1-year extension based on your current Non Imm O Visa because of the expired permission to stay - note that there is an escape route when you are married to a thai national or have dependant thai children.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Leaving the amnesty aside, an immigration office would usually still process the extension with such a short overstay.

I'd suggest to go to your immigration office tomorrow, explain the situation (new passport) and don't even mention the amnesty which might or might not apply to your case. Be polite and apologetic, if your papers are in perfect order otherwise you should get your extension.

Read your post just after I posted my response.  Seems we are exactly on the same page on how to handle this...

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Headgame said:

if you are under amnesty on your "O Visa Extension" yes you can re-apply up to the 31st, just wait for annoucement, if nothing happen you can do it the last week before 31st

Edited by jimmyz
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

OP, I just noticed that your extension only expired July 9. 

Extensions are often granted (pre covid times) with only few days past until date.

Good advice from Caldera.

Take some extra cash for few days overstay. (yes I realize amnesty) but still may need 500/day post July 9

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyz said:

yes you can re-apply up to the 31st

Some offices stated that they would not accept your application for a 1-year extension of stay if the permission to stay of your Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa expired during the Amnesty.

Their reasoning being that by choosing for the Amnesty extension and not applying for the 1-year extension of stay when your permission to stay was due to expire, that you accepted having to leave the country at the end of the Amnesty.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your situation has been discussed many times. The majority of folk think that your annual extension based on retirement should of been done prior to expiry of your current permission of stay expires. 

You did not do that and I for one believe you will need to start over.

Personally I would attend your imm office and ask them. 

Some other experienced members believe you can obtain your annual extension up untill July 31. 

Good luck.

This guy started a thread about your situation. He may update you of latest reports @Peter Denis

Thanks for the input.
And to answer other comments about why I waited so long?
The answer is quite simple - stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

he is on amnesty anything that he was on before amnesty still count, that being said you can do your extension of any kind on the last day before it is expired, does not have to be 1 or 2 week ahead of time

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Read your post just after I posted my response.  Seems we are exactly on the same page on how to handle this...

Thank you Peter.
I'll be there at 8:30am, locked and loaded.

Over the past 10 years I've had a number of minor issues that have always been resolved so hoping for the best.

Now off to 7-11 to get my token of appreciation.

I will post a report on my visit to Phuket Immigration.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Everyone entitled to opinion. 

I believe your wrong. I suggest to anyone that has an extension make sure you renew it prior to its expiry. 

I asked you to mention ONE report you have read of someone on extension (retirement) attending immigration well past POS expired and having no issues.

Yes, Very good advice.

Unfortunately, some of the ¨experts¨ here have been recommending no problem, just wait.

Why? I got mine done this month all good for another year.

If suggest if you can go, then go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Hi, this is what happened to me so maybe it will be your answer:

i was planning to get a new passport in my summer holiday. I was waiting to do this for my holiday because i was not sure how long it will take to get it and also holiday is a good time to do these things. My non-o multi was going to expire in may. so great timing. Anyway, then this covid happened and all countries went to lockdown and of course my embassy here in bangkok too. So.. as you can see no new passport. My passport valid date will expire in 8-9 months. Then amnesty.. And waiting. My embassy just opened like 2 weeks ago and i was the first one there. Now 3rd week starting and im told i can get it in this week any time. So now i can go to IO for 1 year extension.. but.. my visa expired also.. and now i dont know they will do it or not. But the worst i can get another 60 days which i will because ther wont be any more amnesty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I am saying that is what IMMIGRATION is Definitely Encouraging - including the "clear out" remarks of the spokesman, a few days ago.  I suspect he has an eye on a new car, or house.  I have read many reports of "payoff only" for things that should be done w/o issue from agents, accountants, etc. 

Barrow on twitter is saying "don't do it," and I am planning to leave the country if nothing changes - already had to give notice on my lease, since they could not even give us 30-days warning of "what's next."

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Many embassies were closed for months.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

For a 1 year extension, you need to renew further ahead, though.  I never wait that long either - and something like this unprecidented situation is a good reason not to wait.  But I can understand folks not anticipating it.

43 minutes ago, jimmyz said:

well mr. Headgame is heading down to immigration tommorow to do his business, let see what he have to say after, in your opinion you think it is too late for him, i say he still be able to do it

You were with absolute confidence stating that you can do extension untill July 31. Zero mention of 4 or 5 days after expiry on current permission of stay.

You now shift to OP situation as a smokescreen.

The amnesty has been going on for quite some months. 

Simple question for you. If someone on extensions (retirement) had their permission of stay expire say April 10, can turn up to immigration tomorrow and obtain new annual extension. That was your initial post.

The OP is only few days late. He imo will be ok. As posted by others this happens pre covid. Few days late. Pay overstay.

Your posting dangerous info and have not posted one example of a report to back up what your presenting on a serious forum.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Headgame said:

So, more to follow tomorrow.

I'm rationalizing to myself that if I was really screwed, I would have been told that this morning.

Still hyperventilating but cautiously optimistic.

Thanks for the report and update.

I am sure it will work out for you.

Relax, and awaiting the Herald of Coming Good tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report and update.

I am sure it will work out for you.

Relax, and awaiting the Herald of Coming Good tomorrow.

Haha, thanks Peter.
I think you're right and I will update tomorrow.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jimmyz said:

well mr. Headgame is heading down to immigration tommorow to do his business, let see what he have to say after, in your opinion you think it is too late for him, i say he still be able to do it

Wow, you're really trying to shift the goal posts now, aren't you? If he gets it, it's because his extension just ran out a couple of days ago, not because of the amnesty. Plenty of people have reported being able to extend their stays on a few days for overstay in the past, without any amnesty in place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myran said:

Wow, you're really trying to shift the goal posts now, aren't you? If he gets it, it's because his extension just ran out a couple of days ago, not because of the amnesty. Plenty of people have reported being able to extend their stays on a few days for overstay in the past, without any amnesty in place.

he was 3,4 days overstay, you think immigration wouldn't collect the overstay fee, he did not pay any overstay fine did he now

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

A question for Ubon Joe. 

A have a multiple Non-O Visa which will expire in February 2021. Can I extend this within the country with my school ?

1. A have a valid passport & visa.

2. I have a valid work permit.

3. School contract.

Many thanks.

( Only replies from Ubon Joe ) 

1 hour ago, Stimo said:

A question for Ubon Joe. 

A have a multiple Non-O Visa which will expire in February 2021. Can I extend this within the country with my school ?

1. A have a valid passport & visa.

2. I have a valid work permit.

3. School contract.

Yes you can apply for a extension of stay based upon teaching with your non-o visa entry.

But some offices may incorrectly say you need a non-b visa entry to do it,