Trump says 'more white people' than Blacks are killed by U.S. police

webfact

While I seldom agree with Trump, the question by the reporter was badly put: "Why are black Americans dying at the hands of law enforcement in this country" is bad reporting. Imagine if you ask the same question about native Americans, Asians or whites?

The real question that should be asked is "Why is a disproportionate number of black Americans dying at the hands of law enforcement?" or "What is your plan to deal with the disproportionare number of black Americans dying at the hands of law enforcement?"

Asking the way the reporter did was to let Trump to reply that white people are dying at the hands of law enforcement too - and Trump does not have to lie or use one of his many rhetorical devices to escape answering the question as he did and answered it truthfully (even though we may not like the implicature of his reply!).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

This is obviously due to the fact that blacks committ 53% of homicides and 60% of robberies. They should actually be 4 times more likely to be shot, not twice as likely, when one controls for the likelihood of armed black criminals encountering a police officer.

The problem is that the police is not shooting enough, hence the discrepancy. 

Police officers should always patrol with gun in hand, instead of keeping it holstered as if it was just for show... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The problem is that the police is not shooting enough, hence the discrepancy. 

Police officers should always patrol with gun in hand, instead of keeping it holstered as if it was just for show... 

Forgive me, but as a Brit, I though that they did that anyway. How else are they going to be able to shoot someone in the back as they run away?   I've seen the movies, or was that John Wayne with his Winchester?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

The only way to address an issue is to be honest about it

Well said, same in other countries  too, never  hear much about Chinese /Japanese having these sort  of problems with "harrassment"

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

While I seldom agree with Trump, the question by the reporter was badly put: "Why are black Americans dying at the hands of law enforcement in this country" is bad reporting. Imagine if you ask the same question about native Americans, Asians or whites?

The real question that should be asked is "Why is a disproportionate number of black Americans dying at the hands of law enforcement?" or "What is your plan to deal with the disproportionare number of black Americans dying at the hands of law enforcement?"

Asking the way the reporter did was to let Trump to reply that white people are dying at the hands of law enforcement too - and Trump does not have to lie or use one of his many rhetorical devices to escape answering the question as he did and answered it truthfully (even though we may not like the implicature of his reply!).

Agree with your observation of a poorly articulated question. If you read the question sequence it was obvious to what the reporter was referring, but gave an opportunity for trump to deflect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crime statistics in usa

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/table-43

The overview makes for interesting reading. 
For example

”In 2017, 68.9 percent of all individuals arrested were white”

Another article on guns and crime

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/08/gun-deaths-affect-more-white-men-than-black-men/?outputType=amp

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Good post and a set of stats that many liberal minds don't seem to grasp, or want to acknowledge. We also know that abject poverty among the black communities, terrible housing in the hoods, low educational attainment and significant gang culture also contribute and in the execution of the law, the Police come across some very bad situations.  

The reasons why liberals (and anyone who is functionally numerate) has a problem with Logosone’s ‘statistics ‘ is because they are fabricated nonsense.

I’m not accusing Logosone of being the person who fabricated the numbers that he presents as statistics but he is disseminating fabricated nonsense.

For real traceable statistics, that also knock holes in Logosone’s claims refer tge data linked by Bluespink at #91.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The reasons why liberals (and anyone who is functionally numerate) has a problem with Logosone’s ‘statistics ‘ is because they are fabricated nonsense.

I’m not accusing Logosone of being the person who fabricated the numbers that he presents as statistics but he is disseminating fabricated nonsense.

For real traceable statistics, that also knock holes in Logosone’s claims refer tge data linked by Bluespink at #91.

I will, thanks 

Looking at statistics from Bluespunk for violent crimes, it appears for some violent crimes for black and white have similar numbers.   Some violent crimes blacks commit only half as many as white peoples. 
The conclusions are open to interpretation when you factor in the percent of population that is white and black.

My former job as an engineer employed about 85% white and Asian engineers. The wall of Manager’s was 70% black 20% Hispanic and 10% white. You’re open to interpret this as you prefer. 
At least at some universities in Los Angeles, free tutoring is available to non-white students. Are we all equal?

Further confirmation from the US Department of Justice:

During a period of 29 years ON AVERAGE blacks were 52.2% homicide offenders, with only 13% of the population.

I have absolute confidence that the US Department of Justice does not "fabricate" its statistics. An outrageous accusation.

See page 62.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

Hom by Race 2.jpg

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

During a period of 29 years ON AVERAGE blacks were 52.2% homicide offenders, with only 13% of the population.

But, we don't want to use that "13%" statistic in that context! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FBI Statistics:

In 2017 Blacks charged with robbery 54%, Whites 43%, even though Blacks are 13% of the population and whites 60%.

So Chomper, I take it this is a grand conspiracy by the US Department of Justice, the FBI, the BBC, The Wall Street Journal and Yale University to "fabricate" crime figures, is it?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/table-43

FBI stats 2.jpg

• Like 2