UK-born Islamic State recruit can return from Syria to challenge citizenship removal

webfact

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I know how the UK court system works. That's why I'm glad she's had her citizenship removed, and I'm glad the UK authorities are making it as difficult as possible for her to appeal. 

Because if she wins her appeal she'll be back in the UK and facing judicial and penal systems that are not equipped for protecting the public against the IS terror threat. 

Yes, those systems need to be fixed so they do protect us. But while we wait for that I'll settle for what we're doing now, i.e. keeping her well away from our streets. 

P.S. no need for the insults - this is not the Brexit thread. 

The UK’s police, security services and judicial system have already dealt with the return of hundreds of people returning from fighting with and against ISIS.

Now a young woman has you shaking in your slippers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

What has the EU got to do with it? Unless you are saying that you think the EU forced this decision upon the Supreme Court!

If so, you are totally wrong. 

Although prior to Brexit decisions of the UK's Supreme Court (or Law Lords before that) could be appealed to the European Court of Justice, that was only if the case involved EU rules and regulations. Which this case obviously does not.

I don't know if Begum can appeal to the ECtHR; but that is not an EU organisation and never has been. It was established by the Council Of Europe of which the UK was a founder member in 1949.

Supposition.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, tribalfusion001 said:

Disgusting, should be shot, ISIS traitor.

Yes, but the decision should be made by the courts... and that is in the UK since he was a citizen by birth.   I am against removing citizenship by birth as that is a dangerous route to go down... I am fine with charging someone and remanding them if they are a danger and be given their date in court (and if the country still has execution as a punishment then so be it)... but I suspect that the treason laws might have not been updated to include this case (not knowing the UK law on it - many countries have it be a war-time only charge of treason - i.e. a declared war and supporting the enemy; espionage though is not limited to wartime in any country I know of).  Guess you should have dropped a bomb on him while he was there - like the US does ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

ok, if that is the pronoun they want to use then who am I to argue...

bombs work just as well for shes....

You could argue both ways with people here who say she should return saying the UK is unjust.

Then again like you say bombs work just as well for she's and just as well when there strapped underneath what Muslim women wear.  

How does anyone know her mind and what she might do when she returns. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

You could argue both ways with people here who say she should return saying the UK is unjust.

Then again like you say bombs work just as well for she's and just as well when there strapped underneath what Muslim women wear.  

How does anyone know her mind and what she might do when she returns. 

Well, to be quite honest she is small fry - you have a lot more to worry about people that already are in the UK and have been radicalized.   So far she has shown no inclination to be an active combatant.  If she broke UK law, then she should face a court for those charges - but I view citizenship by birth as something that is an inalienable right.  If you gained citizenship by naturalization by violating the law then citizenship can be revoked.

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

she is small fry

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Well, to be quite honest she is small fry -

you have a lot more to worry about people that already are in the UK and have been radicalized.  

So far she has shown no inclination to be an active combatant. 

If she broke UK law, then she should face a court for those charges -

but I view citizenship by birth as something that is an inalienable right. 

If you gained citizenship by naturalization by violating the law then citizenship can be revoked.

Everyone has there view.

Mine is I'm glad the court made there decision.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You back on your fixation again.

As has been explained, this woman’s case has absolutely nothing at all to do with the EU or the UK’s membership of/exit from the EU.

And as its been explained to you,she had no respect or loyalty to the laws of her country, ( past tense )shes s**t her bed,now she has to lie in it,the uk is now independent of the eu ( a fact it would appear some sections of society have difficulty accepting )also i am not " back on my fixtation" i initially asked a question on here regarding a hypothetical scenario,which was answered.consequently the uk can now make its own long overdue laws up regarding safety and security.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The UK has always been able to make its own laws regarding safety and security.

The UK’s membership and/or the UK leaving the EU has absolutely no bearing on this woman’s case.

Which has been explained to you a number of times.

On your first point how could the uk have made its own laws while we had freedom of movement in operation? The majority of the uks mps loved the eu as they could sit scratching theirselves,dreaming about their future in a well paid position in the eu,instead of actually doing the job they were paid to,this was proved by the antics following the peoples vote when the gravy train hit the buffers..i am obviously trying to flog a dead horse regarding trying to reason with you,so in future won,t bother.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1