Pattaya: Major school closed after ten students infected with dengue fever, three with chikungunya

webfact

Pattaya: Major school closed after ten students infected with dengue fever, three with chikungunya

10pm.jpg

A large school in Pattaya that has 4,200 students has been shut for five days after ten students came down with dengue fever and three tested positive for chikungunya, also caused by mosquito bites. 

Director Arunrat Sawatchutitrakun went online to announce the closure of Sawang Boriboon Wittaya from Wednesday until Sunday.

The whole school is being sprayed to kill mosquitoes and places where the insects breed are being cleaned up. 

The school is also taking the opportunity to spray against Covid-19 after incorrect rumors circulated online that there had been an outbreak.

10pm1.jpg

Sophon Cable TV reported on Facebook that the director, teachers and other staff were actively engaged in the clean up.

The school teaches from kindergarten to M6 (the end of sixth form) and also has vocational training. The school had only reopened for two weeks after the coronavirus lockdown.

Thaivisa notes that according to Wikipedia dengue patients develop symptoms about three to fourteen days after infection and can be a very serious condition especially if it proceeds to dengue hemorrhagic fever. 

Chikungunya symptoms appear two to twelve days after being bitten and can be severe in the very young and old. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

places where the insects breed are being cleaned up.

They breed in even a tiny upturned bottle top,  it would be a good idea to try and instil in the kids a 100%

no litter policy ,empty bins every day and spray ( maybe at weekends)  during the rainy season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I’ve had Chikun Gunya. 

Think it was served with rice.

When I had chikungunya I actually thought I’d had my chips.I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, it hurts and if you are an older person it lingers for ages. Cover up !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johng said:

They breed in even a tiny upturned bottle top,  it would be a good idea to try and instil in the kids a 100%

If they can breed in something as small as that Thailand has no chance of stopping them, considering the general cleanliness of the country it's an impossible ask !

• Like 2

For reference and similar to coronavirus but without the loss of smell/taste and severe lung infection:-

Symptoms

• Most people infected with chikungunya virus will develop some symptoms.
  • Symptoms usually begin 3–7 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito.
  • The most common symptoms are fever and joint pain.
  • Other symptoms may include headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash.
  • Chikungunya disease does not often result in death, but the symptoms can be severe and disabling.
  • Most patients feel better within a week. In some people, the joint pain may persist for months.
  • People at risk for more severe disease include newborns infected around the time of birth, older adults (≥65 years), and people with medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart disease.
  • Once a person has been infected, he or she is likely to be protected from future infections.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, johng said:

no litter policy ,empty bins every day and spray ( maybe at weekends)  during the rainy season.

Overflowing Flower pots are a major contributor