U.S. swoops down on Portland protesters after Trump order to protect monuments

rooster59

14 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Donald Trump threw in the towel, fighting the pandemic, the last weekend of June 2020. He just gave up. Maybe those bone spurs acting up again.

So if you have given up doing anything about wuhan pandemic, why not create a new reality TV show in Stumptown?!  

The USA went over 70,000 new infections a day, this week. Arizona and Florida will run out of ICU's and hospital rooms in the coming weeks. The Ship is going down and Trump not only refuses to lead, he spends his time, creating a dog and pony show to entertain his base. New estimates have over 2 million infected and 750,000 dead by Christmas. It will soon go beyond an excrement show, into a real life disaster epic.  This is how China becomes the dominant power in the world; by default. If I wasn't watching it happen, I never would have believed it. 

I keep hearing how bad it is here in St Petersburg, FL but only know of one person who was infected and he is fine now after a week of coughing and sneezing. I tested negative which I took as a precaution since I had spoken to him at the mailbox one day. Life goes on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Up to the state, not feds, to do what they find necessary.

Afraid not.

“Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State or Territory by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.”

10 U.S.C. §§ 332, 333. The provisions were invoked by President Eisenhower when he dispatched troops to Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1957. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-2/section-3/the-president-as-law-enforcer#fn748art2

The Rosenblum woman will fail and the delicious irony, she will fail on the precedent set at Little Rock.

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Afraid not.

“Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State or Territory by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.”

10 U.S.C. §§ 332, 333. The provisions were invoked by President Eisenhower when he dispatched troops to Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1957. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-2/section-3/the-president-as-law-enforcer#fn748art2

The Rosenblum woman will fail and the delicious irony, she will fail on the precedent set at Little Rock.

Not applicable I think, 'impractical to enforce the laws of the US' seems not the case here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heppinger said:

So fascist's have been living right next door to communists for the last 100 years to no consequence?  I think your confused.

Thats because communists tend to hide under peoples beds and play dominoes .........apparently??

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Unless you can point me to where I mentioned the names of the 'other countries' no, I did not go there.

Come on nice try,  but read your own sentence, you werent referring only to "other countries" so you did go there lol!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not applicable I think, 'impractical to enforce the laws of the US' seems not the case here.

Read it again. It's at the discretion of the President of the United States. Whenever the President considers "unlawful obstructions or rebellion" against the authority of the United States make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State he may call such of the armed forces as he considers necessary to enforce those laws. 

It's not a subjective test. It's purely at the discretion of the President. Do you think Trump considered the inaction in Portland an obstruction? Do you think he considered the violent protests a rebellion? It doesn't matter. It matters what Trump thinks. It's his discretion.

“Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State or Territory by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.”

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

Just now, i84teen said:

"Customs and Border Protection said in a statement its agents had information indicating the person in the video was suspected of assaulting federal agents or destroying federal property."

https://tinyurl.com/guardian-daftbpunk

And on that basis, the suit goes nowhere, not even out the door.

U need to understand the difference between state and federal. The feds can do what the f they want in America.

That daft guv and mayor should be S**T-canned for dereliction of duty, they are just sabre rattling, puffin out their pigeon chest's. Laughable bunch of tree huggin hippies spaced out on oregon green.

As said before I’ll trust the attorney generals thinking over yours. 

1 minute ago, i84teen said:

Well then, I'll say it's too bad then that you STILL can't think for yourself. Some things never seem to change.

Yep, I’ll always trust those who are qualified to make decisions like these over such as yourself. 

21 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Thank you Mr President. Rather odd the headline photo doesn't show the destruction to the park the protesters caused. The gov and major should face charges of dereliction of duty. 

Not odd at all, IMO. Most of the news media in the western world is biased to the side of the protestors, and most, IMO, hate Trump. Even Al Jazira is biased against him, and they are the only, IMO, decent news organisation left. 80 years ago it would have been the BBC as the torchbearer for truth, but they went over to the, IMO, dark side years ago.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Exactly. 

45 is testing the limits of his authoritarian ambitions.

Not just this.

Many other instances.

If he "wins" in November the American democracy is over. 

May as well be Russia, Turkey, or Hungary. 

Mussolini - - "If you pluck a chicken one feather at a time nobody notices." 

If that's true then the "protestors" are playing right into his hands by rioting and destruction of public property.

However, I don't think it's true. I think certain people misread the situation and unleashed their disruptors too soon.

The vast majority of any civilized society would be appalled by a tiny group of thuggish vandals being allowed to run amok, and wish for the authorities to put them down. If anything, by standing up against the forces of darkness, Trump is going to profit in the election by taking a strong stand now, though he should have acted earlier, IMO. There is, apparently, only one side standing for law and order.

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

Read it again. It's at the discretion of the President of the United States. Whenever the President considers "unlawful obstructions or rebellion" against the authority of the United States make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State he may call such of the armed forces as he considers necessary to enforce those laws. 

It's not a subjective test. It's purely at the discretion of the President. Do you think Trump considered the inaction in Portland an obstruction? Do you think he considered the violent protests a rebellion? It doesn't matter. It matters what Trump thinks. It's his discretion.

“Whenever the President considers that unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States, make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in any State or Territory by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, he may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to enforce those laws or to suppress the rebellion.”

I think you're wrong, but let's wait and see.

The main thing here is that, again, Trump is testing how far he can go. I always thought jingthing was overdoing it with his dictator accusations, but more and more it looks like he could be proven correct. And again the GOP is awfully quiet on one of their own issues, separate powers of state and feds.

8 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Come on nice try,  but read your own sentence, you werent referring only to "other countries" so you did go there lol!

So you think you know better than I what I was referring to.

Sure mate.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The double standard and hypocrisy here is incredible.  The first issue that comes to mind is the   clear separation of duties udner the US Constitution and the federal government has certainly  violated that principal.  The Governor had the matter in hand. the mayor of Portland says that his police department had calmed the situation and that the crowds were dispersing on their own, that is until one of these  units shot a person in the face.

Trump sent border agents and prison guards.  Not the appropriate people to send.

Ok  a small amount of  municipal property was damaged. We all agree that is  wrong. However, since when has the the federal government responded to the vandalism of municipal property in this manner? Anyone?

Who are you to claim that the legally appointed governor and mayor have been derelict in their duty? If that's the case, then the Republican mayors of some of the crime ridden  US cities should see US federal agents running their cities.

No one  is arguing in favour of  criminal activity, but the Trump action is an attempt to distract from  the mess the country is in. It is also questionable as to whether it is even allowed.

No one said it was. However, the US Constitution requires federal laws to be broken and a situation where the local authorities are unable or unwilling to respond. Municipal vandalism is not a federal crime, and the local police  had responded. 

The UK    has different rules and regulations. In the USA there is a separation of powers between states and federal governments.

But the thugs are all the same...

• Thanks 1