What do you wish you had known before you moved to Thailand

IvGeg

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not say they “bad”

Ok, misunderstanding

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

The OP want advice. Other guy talk about sex worker, I say IMO is not good idea

I missed that part, but would say, it's not the job that counts, it's the character of the person and their personality, naturally the sex industry has a bad reputation in any country, but I always look at fear in the eyes and take it by its horns, streetwise enough to know woman as the species, same applies to the male, good and bad people everywhere.

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is not comfortable situation.

eg in Australia you social with sex worker. You take sex worker your new year work party, with your boss?

To your mother and dad house?

Go your freinds wedding? 

What they think? 

Depend on you as a person, I have taken my wife to parties, she (my boss) had met my wife and I am comfortable with taking my wife wherever it is, my mum asked me where in Thailand I met her and I said a bar, call it a brothel if you like mum, got her on the cheap, good for you she said, just be careful, we are an open family, everyone has accepted her, I choose my friends, not my friends me, and all want one like her, but as I said to them when they asked, 'does she have a sister' with my reply being, I wouldn't do it to you, your too good of a friend, they understood.

I am that type of guy that doesn't care what people think, this is my life, my wife, I know Thai people judge my wife because she is with a farang, but I also believe it is because of jealousy, many times they have asked if she can find them one like me, but she tells them that they broke the mould when they made me, lol, I always said that to her about her, now I say to her thank Buddha...lol

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

They think same Yinn, sure. Thankyou be honest your speaking, I be honest same.

Respect

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sex worker word is most polite. Thai men say very rude way about sex workers.  English same. Maybe every language.

Men are hypocrites, will use sex workers service, then stab them in the back instead of being gentlemen and saying things like I enjoyed her, like I say, no, they have to show their ego, I smashed the s-l-u-t, I did this to the w-h-o-r-e, 4myego when asked, says she was nice, good, strong, gentle, will remember her, 4myego doesn't have a big ego, fire only sometimes and is strong ????

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Good luck 4MyEgo return Australia November. Forget what I say.

Plan put on delay for now, maybe 3-5 years, everything ready but forgot have to pay tax in Australia, so will just holiday more around in Thailand if they don't change the bigger plan now with Covid-19 as they will need to recoupe all the money they have been giving to people, so might end up staying here, who knows, as long as I don't have to pay tax and can still make money as I do, will keep eating Thai every now and again ????

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

ps. Welcome TVF. 

We very stranger people. Everyone crazy a little bit.

You are too kind Yinn ????????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

BS!!!

When you crash in Thailand you phone your insurance company. 

They come, take photo. White spray the road. 

Not neccessary police come. Only insurance company. 

Better if police not come. Police want money. Just call insurance company. 

If the other person is wrong your insurance company will say. Sure.

3) get car insurance.

My reply was if he had no insurance.

Yes insurance a MUST.

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Respect

Men are hypocrites, will use sex workers service, then stab them in the back instead of being gentlemen and saying things like I enjoyed her, like I say, no, they have to show their ego, I smashed the s-l-u-t, I did this to the w-h-o-r-e, 4myego when asked, says she was nice, good, strong, gentle, will remember her, 4myego doesn't have a big ego, fire only sometimes and is strong ????

Right on target! Respect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Men are hypocrites, will use sex workers service, then stab them in the back instead of being gentlemen and saying things like I enjoyed her, like I say, no, they have to show their ego, I smashed the s-l-u-t, I did this to the w-h-o-r-e, 4myego when asked, says she was nice, good, strong, gentle, will remember her, 4myego doesn't have a big ego, fire only sometimes and is strong

You must meet some strange men.

I've never encountered a guy that spoke badly about hookers he'd hired.

10 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Some are just presenting another side of living here.  I can't remember how many times I've read something along the lines of "anyone with money wouldn't choose Thailand as a place to live".  For example, just a few days ago someone said that no one with over a million pounds would live here.  I beg to differ.  If you have money then Thailand is a great place to live, not least of all for its tax laws on money earned outside the country.  There are also still many very nice beach and hill resorts, and, on the whole, you are free to do what you like as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.  The other thing with money is that you can always hop on a plane (though not recently) and go somewhere else for a while.  There are many places in other countries that I love to visit, but no way would I live there full time.  Then there is also the case of those who came here when young, settled down and then made their money, which is the category I fall into. 

As I said in an earlier post, I chose to live here based on frequent work visits.  My first years were spent in rented accommodation paid for by the company.  I could have left at any time, but chose to remain, and, after I met a girl through work and got married, used my housing allowance to buy a condo.  I had little money when I first came, being just 23, but once I did accumulate some, (alright, a lot), saw no reason to move elsewhere, and plenty of reasons not to.

An example of a happy guy in Thailand.

He not marry a sex worker, and he speak thai. Sure. 

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

The problem is that Yinn is constantly pretending her opinions are shared by a great majority of Thais, with never any proof to back up this statement. 

In her latest post :

"99% Thai people will think you idiot if do that."

Of course, no pro

of of this presented. 

Her opinions are welcome, and interesting, like from anyone else here.

Pretending she is the voice of the Thai people may has for effect to been considered as an arrogant/unreliable young lady.

Yinn has a better understanding of what Thais think and feel than falongs that post on Thai visa, especially those who haven't made an effort to learn the language. She doesn't need proof to report what she sees and hears every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IvGeg said:

What about Thai people as friends guys or girls? Are they honest with you from the beginning or see you as a person they can get some benefits with? If I need a help would they help just because of we are mates? For example if I have a problem with my car I can ask here me mate, shout him a beer and fix it together on a weekend, have a drink and chat. Next time he might ask me to help him move to another house and I'll do it as mutual respect thing. Or just pop up for a tea and chat when you have free time?

People are the same the world over. You can have Thai friends and family that will go out of their way to help you in any way. Then there are the self centered, self indulgent ones (eg my BIL) that will use you only for their own purposes.

Choose your friends wisely.

11 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Good morning Ego and Gene. 

People in Thailand “look down” on sex workers. Men especially. Women same.

I can not change that everybody opinion.

The OP want advice about live in Thailand. 

IMO he will have more social if not with sex worker. Is true. I think good advice for him.

Gene, is not wealthy people look down on sex worker. Poor people do same. If you be a sex worker you will not receive respect. Is true. 

If a foreigner marries sex worker, he will not receive respect same. Is true. 

I think same in every country. Say very impolite about them.

I see them before, I never say impolite to them, make loose the face, but i think. 

AND 

on TVF member say bad thing about sex worker everyday. Nobody care. A lot laughing sticker.

But Yinn say something, some member very angry. 

Everyone hypocrazy. I can not change that one.

Respect ????

35 minutes ago, Yinn said:

A lot.

Different food, dance, music, language, culture. 

There is “4 regions in Thailand” but I think it really six.

1) The north (CM, CR etc) 

2) central (Bangkok etc)

3) Issan North East. - south (Burirum, surin) is Cambodian people a lot

- north Laos people a lot

4) The south - (Buddhist) 

- the Deep South (Muslim)

Generally speaking 

“They say”

-south people are ruthless. Not lie much, responsible, not so freindly, not lazy, dark skin. Be careful.

-north people beautiful white skin, freindly, speak beautiful way, very lazy and lie

- central people are fat and selfish, not so freindly, bad drivers, high fashion

- north east people very freindly, best music, fun, lie a lot, dark skin

everywhere have good and bad people.

I have to say I met mostly nice and friendly people in Thailand from south to north to east! 

While in Krabi I actually made some Thai friends and good friends and they where muslims. But we had climbing as a common playground, thats where you find friends or trough work. I have made some few more contacts trough touring with motorbike, but I would not call them friends, since we only meet when driving, and not social outside that enviroment. . 

However I felt the south had more dedication and respect than other places I have been in Thailand, but that could be because of common interests.

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Good morning Ego and Gene. 

People in Thailand “look down” on sex workers. Men especially. Women same.

I can not change that everybody opinion.

The OP want advice about live in Thailand. 

IMO he will have more social if not with sex worker. Is true. I think good advice for him.

Gene, is not wealthy people look down on sex worker. Poor people do same. If you be a sex worker you will not receive respect. Is true. 

If a foreigner marries sex worker, he will not receive respect same. Is true. 

I think same in every country. Say very impolite about them.

I see them before, I never say impolite to them, make loose the face, but i think. 

AND 

on TVF member say bad thing about sex worker everyday. Nobody care. A lot laughing sticker.

But Yinn say something, some member very angry. 

Everyone hypocrazy. I can not change that one.

Again Yinn cuts through the BS and goes straight to the facts. However, where I live in the North the people aren't lazy and always looking for things to do. I would like to hire someone or two to help around the house and/or garden but almost everyone but the very old are busy. Not a lot of unemployment and most of the young people are off studying at a university. In fact it's strange that you only see the 18 to 25 year olds during school breaks or long holidays, when after 25 you don't see them because they are always working. Some work multiple jobs. So my home is full of us old people and young kids. 

Working moms often send young children home for grandma to take care, but return when they start school. 

• Like 2

most foreigners dont work here, is not part of any social group, does not speak thai,

that seriously limits the chances of meeting potential partners,

whats left is bar girls.

another factor is sheer laziness, and lack of incentive,

why make an effort in the first instance ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Yinn has a better understanding of what Thais think and feel than falongs that post on Thai visa, especially those who haven't made an effort to learn the language. She doesn't need proof to report what she sees and hears every day.

Fair enough she is Thai,

bu we  still  need the proof that what she sees and hears every day correspond to her opinions.

In 20 years Thailand I have met different people, primordially in Bangkok ( Thonglor ) Korat and Pattaya, they had different opinions about everything.

My Thai wife have 3 sisters, they are all  married to a Thai, despite  being sisters they all have their own opinions.

We ( my wife and myself ) traveled to different countries in Asia and Europe, she and I have different opinions than her sisters and husband who never left Thailand.

So I still refuse to believe when Yinn claim that the majority, even sometimes 99% of the Thai, think the same, add to that, that it strangely correspond to her opinions.

When she can provide evidence of what she is pretending,, I will change my mind.

Others are of course free to believe her claims just like that.

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Fair enough she is Thai,

bu we  still  need the proof that what she sees and hears every day correspond to her opinions.

In 20 years Thailand I have met different people, primordially in Bangkok ( Thonglor ) Korat and Pattaya, they had different opinions about everything.

My Thai wife have 3 sisters, they are all  married to a Thai, despite  being sisters they all have their own opinions.

We ( my wife and myself ) traveled to different countries in Asia and Europe, she and I have different opinions than her sisters and husband who never left Thailand.

So I still refuse to believe when Yinn claim that the majority, even sometimes 99% of the Thai, think the same, add to that, that it strangely correspond to her opinions.

When she can provide evidence of what she is pretending,, I will change my mind.

Others are of course free to believe her claims just like that.

Yinn is making a personal observation that I personally think is valid. She didn't say 99% or at least that's what I read, but Thais have strong opinions about things if you can understand what they are saying (in Thai). If they are speaking in English they aren't likely to express the same opinion because they want to respect your feelings.

Years ago I was at my friend's house socializing. He had graduated from the Thai military academy but was working as a pilot. His friends were all mid level active duty Thai military officers. They started criticising American forces for some reason. I reminded them I was American also. They corrected me that I was Thai like them, and we all laughed. I took it as a compliment and acceptance. 

They freely talked in front of me because they knew I understood. 

When I went to the US with my wife they were all their to see me off and many visited our home when they visited the US. 

Edited by checkered flag

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Yinn is making a personal observation that I personally think is valid. She didn't say 99% or at least that's what I read, 

You are of course entitled to consider someone's else observation as valid, just as some others will consider it as invalid, it doesn't make it automatically right or wrong.

Have a look at Yinn's posts, you will find out that she often pretend that the majority think like her.

In this topic she even pretend that for a case 99% of the Thai have the same opinion about it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Even before the end of the first page the focus became sex/women/marriage despite the fact that the OP is planning to live/work here for a period of time

Haha. Thank you for pointing it out. Yes, I'm planning for a some time and not planning to retire. For me it is just exciting opportunity to explore something new, improve my career, get valuable experience. I would like it to be as trouble less as possible. Big thank you guys for sharing your experiences and opinions. Probably it is good for a young person to know little bit about building relationship with other gender. Also I would really appreciate if you can express your thoughts about your daily life. Get a shot of some malaria vaccine? Don't run at night because of the abandoned dogs? Use a full face helmet instead of a soup bowl? If you want to find a smart gf go to a library not a bar? We all learn something from our own mistakes or right steps. Everything will be helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvGeg said:

Don't run at night because of the abandoned dogs? 

Sure it depends where you live but in general dogs are one of the big issue here. When it's getting dark the dogs are coming out because it's too hot for them during the day. Same if you would like to make sport outside. At 35 degrees Celsius in the middle of the sun you can't run so you have to wait until it's getting a little bit cooler. I have a time frame around 2 hours before I have to beware of the dogs. ???? It happens 3x that a dog was crept up close behind me and tried to bite me. I'm very surprised that it didn't happend already. I saw a lot of other tourist bitten by dogs. And swollen legs because of bad infections by a bite. And then you have to get the rabies injection. It's the same if you cycling. Many people are taking a stick with them. I think they can sense us falangs by smell or by our behavior. And they don't like us ???? The best reaction is to show no fear even if you scared and raise your hands because then they think you have something in your hand and you want to beat them. I'm beware if a dog passes me I often time have to look behind me if he didn't decided not to follow me. Of course you can go to Gym or into a sports stadion where you can avoid them but if you want to enjoy a walk or sport outside during the evening or night, be prepared to fight ????   

1 hour ago, IvGeg said:

For me it is just exciting opportunity to explore something new, improve my career, get valuable experience.

Don't run at night because of the abandoned dogs? 

If you want to find a smart gf go to a library not a bar?

I'm not sure Thailand is a place for career advancement.

Some western companies wouldn't employ you after such a declaration in your CV.

I've never had a problem with dogs, and I cycle 10Km every morning and evening.

Walking, pick up a rock or stick and they're off, on the bicycle kick their head if they get close.

If you want a smart gf, Thailand probably isn't the place to be looking.

If you're looking for a girl that bangs on the first date, you've come to the right place.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure Thailand is a place for career advancement.

Some western companies wouldn't employ you after such a declaration in your CV.

All companies tend to prefer their local experience more than foreign. However it still counts. Plus if your position and responsibilities might be higher if you decide to step up I don't see anything wrong with it. It is something like "let's see what you can and if you'll do it well then you'll go to the next level". 

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

You are of course entitled to consider someone's else observation as valid, just as some others will consider it as invalid, it doesn't make it automatically right or wrong.

Have a look at Yinn's posts, you will find out that she often pretend that the majority think like her.

In this topic she even pretend that for a case 99% of the Thai have the same opinion about it.

When people say 99% , they do not literally  mean 99%

Its usually mean as meaning  *most people, *nearly everyone* , it isnt meant as literally being 99 out of a 100 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

When people say 99% , they do not literally  mean 99%

Its usually mean as meaning  *most people, *nearly everyone* , it isnt meant as literally being 99 out of a 100 Yin

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

When people really mean 99%, what should they write ?

• Haha 2