Motorbike taxi driver riding on wrong side of road apologises over death of woman

webfact

Motorbike taxi driver riding on wrong side of road apologises over death of woman

pm_VI.jpg

Clear CCTV footage from two angles showed the moment a woman in yellow and a motorcycle taxi rider were travelling at speed the wrong way down a road in Pak Nam, Samut Prakan. 

Their illegal riding caused Nuchanat, 38, and her relative Benjawan, 37, riding pillion to swerve and collide with a parked car. 

Nuchanat died and Benjawan was severely injured, breaking her left arm. 

After social media coverage of the accident the motorcycle taxi rider or "win" - Somask, 54, - surrendered to the police yesterday. 

He claimed he had no idea he had caused an accident and had gone back to the Sri Samut rank none the wiser.

He said he had just taken a customer to a soi 500 meters away. He always went the wrong way down the road back to the rank as the U-turn is too far away.

He apologized to the dead woman and the injured lady. 

He was charged with four offences including negligence resulting in death. 

The female rider on a Honda Wave is being sought. 

Chalerm, the husband of the dead woman, said he was coming to terms with what happened. 

His wife had just started chemotherapy for stage two cancer.

He appealed for help from those who caused the accident for medical and funeral expenses.

He said he would let the law run its course. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-20

WARNING: The following video may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe you should read more... they are looking for the lady. Its all in the OP not that hard if you read.

Of course the win was the cause and yes maybe a better driver would have avoided it. But the fact remains it has been caused by the bikes driving on the wrong side of the road. Had the win (and perhaps the other lady) not driven there the other bike would not have to make a movement to avoid them. 

That's just daily driving 101. Still say the MB had lots of time to correct and avoid.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

That's just daily driving 101. Still say the MB had lots of time to correct and avoid.

Maybe yes maybe no. But seeing that you make mistakes like not even reading an article well its ok to assume that others make mistakes too. 

IMHO the win driver caused it but some extra CCTV would be nice. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe yes maybe no. But seeing that you make mistakes like not even reading an article well its ok to assume that others make mistakes too. 

IMHO the win driver caused it but some extra CCTV would be nice. 

Get over yourself, so self righteous. ahahaaa

I'd be crashing everyday if this was such a bad situation. RIP to the driver.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JusticeGB said:

An apology doesn't help her family for their loss or funeral expenses. Hope he gets a long prison sentence

"An apology doesn't help her family for their loss or funeral expenses".

Neither would a long jail sentence.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

43 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

But he's apologised!  Case closed!!

No, that's nothing like what is happening.  The case is very much open and he's been charged with four offences including causing her death.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Get over yourself, so self righteous. ahahaaa

I'd be crashing everyday if this was such a bad situation. RIP to the driver.

Your probably a good driver, im ok on my bike too. Id probably would not have crashed. But that does not mean that the win is not the cause of it. 

If a dog runs over a road and you can avoid it because your a good driver but someone else cannot because they are a bad driver does that make the dog innocent. Just that you would not have crashed in that situation does not mean there is no problem.

Its still an illegal act and contributed to the crash. I have had a few times that i almost hit one of those idiots on the wrong side of the road. I know they are there but you cant always see them (U turn under the road so i cant always see them coming). I really dislike idiots like that so if one can made an example im all for it. 

So im a bit bias too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"An apology doesn't help her family for their loss or funeral expenses".

Neither would a long jail sentence.

True.. fact is that this does happen a lot. You see it everywhere the motorcyclists usually are too lazy to drive on the correct side of the road. Around my place once in a while a few cops enforce it and hide at the U turn and catch a few of them. But it does not happen often enough to deter anyone. 

It looks as if the woman is maybe in tunnel vision mode whipping across the 3 lanes perhaps just after a uturn trying to get closest to the curb side and then realizes oncoming bikes coming at her, swerves with bad decision and tanks into the car. Cost her her life for not being aware. This happens even in CM periodically and bare facts are you just have to be aware of all and anything. I sometime gets the occasional pigeon at my head and have to duck. Sorry she lost her life though. Senseless pain for her family.

And what is going to happen to him? Is he still on the road eyeing up other opportunities to inflict pain on others by his driving. Will he get a massive 500 baht fine for killing this woman? No way too stiff! How about loss of licence? Too stiff he's a taxi driver and would have to change his job. What about jail time? Well he is poor so he stands a good chance of a suspended sentence as the jails are all full of yaba users.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Study the film and while win shouldn't have been riding against traffic the other Motorbike had plenty of room to maneuver. And what about the other motorbike just ahead of win, why weren't they questioned.

Yes a tragedy but not sure it was win's fault.

Yes, the tailgate wasn't latched on the load of marbles I was transporting and dropped but it's not my fault the following motorcycles and cars crashed when they hit them. 

16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Study the film and while win shouldn't have been riding against traffic the other Motorbike had plenty of room to maneuver. And what about the other motorbike just ahead of win, why weren't they questioned.

Yes a tragedy but not sure it was win's fault.

Read the OP, the police are looking for the female on the Honda Wave also.