Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine can train immune system

anchadian

It seems that a lot of people who test positive for the antibodies, yet were not hospitalized, are reporting symptoms months later.

They can test the vaccine on other folks and come see me in a year or so when they understand the side effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

It seems that a lot of people who test positive for the antibodies, yet were not hospitalized, are reporting symptoms months later.

They can test the vaccine on other folks and come see me in a year or so when they understand the side effects.

If people test positive for antibodies right now, that means they have been infected by CoVid-19, so it's possible they can continue to show symptoms some while later although as I understand it, it's mostly those who had severe cases, that experience lingering after-effects.

However when people develop antibodies after receiving a vaccination, they have not been infected with the disease, they've simply had their immune system primed to react if they do contract the disease. So it's highly unlikely they would suffer symptoms of a disease they've never had. In the several months since trials began, no serious adverse effects have been experienced by any of the Oxford trial participants.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

Here's a link to the full Lancet article on this:

Lancet article on Oxford and CanSino vaccine trials

As it states, when it comes to the Oxford vaccine:  

"Neutralising antibodies were generated in more than 90% of participants."

Also, both the Oxford and CanSino vaccines elicited a T-cell response, which is another important component of the immune response. Neither vaccine produced any serious adverse effects, just the usual mild ones you get with any vaccine (slight soreness, mild fever etc).

A couple of caveats - as pointed out in various reports, it is not known if the level of antibodies produced would be sufficient to actually prevent infection with CoVid-19 (though even if they don't prevent it, they would almost certainly minimize the effects). We would need the results of phase 3 trials (currently ongoing in Brazil and South Africa) to know that. It is also not known how long these antibodies will persist.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

6 hours ago, impulse said:

They can come see me in about 40 years or so
once they understand the long term side effects
and if i am still alive, i would still politely decline????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, innosiem said:

If I'm alive in 40 years time, I'll buy beer for everyone on tvf.

57 minutes ago, innosiem said:

I don't believe any currently-used vaccine is implicated in causing long term side effects. In fact if anything, vaccines have the opposite problem. One of the main issues with vaccines is that their effects don't last long enough. In virtually all vaccines, the effects wane over time and in many cases, periodic booster shots are required, precisely because the effects of vaccines usually diminish (and in some cases disappear) with the passage of time.

8 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't believe any currently-used vaccine is implicated in causing long term side effects. In fact if anything, vaccines have the opposite problem. One of the main issues with vaccines is that their effects don't last long enough. In virtually all vaccines, the effects wane over time and in many cases, periodic booster shots are required, precisely because the effects of vaccines usually diminish (and in some cases disappear) with the passage of time.

Under normal conditions, I may not disagree.  But currently, there's a mad grab for $$$ billions of dollars which will go to the first entity that brings a vaccine to market, tremendous societal and economic pressure to get shops, factories and airplanes up and running, and put people back to work, and a US administration that I have no doubt would pressure the FDA to approve a placebo (or worse) if it enhanced their chances of being re-elected in 3 months. 

I'm afraid we're going to see a blurring of the lines between good science, financial pressures, societal calm, and election year politics.  Hardly instills faith in just about anything I'm seeing from various entities.  Sadly, that includes testing results.

Terrific news. The Asian markets went nuts today and the US S&P500 is up 0.7% already US morning time. People are beginning to believe. Certified vaccinated should mean work and play like its 2019 again. And free and easy travel across borders.