Water Pump Stopped Working - Any Suggestions on What is Wrong?

Thomas J

We have a Hitachi Pump and suddenly it has stopped working.  I have checked the electric outlet and there is electricity but the pump does not function at all.  1. Is there a ruse or circuit breaker that is also part of a home water pump?  2. The pump had been cycling recently, is it likely the motor has burned out? 

Hitachi water pump - help please

Difficult to say if the pump motor is done in, it doesn't look old.

I found pumps usually very simple to fix.

The cover section behind the prime filler cap has an adjuster at sometime ours needed adjustment could be that.

I not aware of a fuse or circuit breaker.

All of the previous posts are spot on. I will add he should put a voltage meter to test the actual voltage at the socket. Water pumps will stop working if the voltage drops or is above a certain voltage. This is built into a quality water pump such as that Hitachi water pump. That is why so many pumps that do not work at a consumers home work perfect at a repair shop. The voltage is wrong at the cunsumers home, and it is sufficient at the repair shop. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, Thomas J said:

We have a Hitachi Pump and suddenly it has stopped working.  I have checked the electric outlet and there is electricity but the pump does not function at all.  1. Is there a ruse or circuit breaker that is also part of a home water pump?  2. The pump had been cycling recently, is it likely the motor has burned out? 

I have 2 of those pumps both about 5 yrs old. not really any problems, just a bit fiddly from time to time.

as already posted,

check water is flowing to the pump. 

remove the cover above the motor, tighten the connections first with the power off, look for corrosion, water ants etc etc.

then if you are capable measure the voltage carefully with the power switched on, if that is ok 210V or above or whatever your voltage is in your house.

open the filler cap/ with the water on. these pump can get airlocked quite easily, ideally with the power on after having replaced the terminal cover removed for testing voltage.

can you see water in the chamber? if not you need to work out why. there is a non return valve on the inlet which Hitachi advice to remove in some situations ( check you install manual available via a quick google) it may be fouled. the pipe work is simple to remove and check for blockages, 13mm socket from memory, whilst its not working worth looking at the gaskets and clean the tubes. Remove any debris / dirt, and replace as you found it.

so potentialy your non return valve may have got stuck, blocked pipe, or no voltage.  the next item to check is the pressure switch, small grey cylinder with 2 wires coming out and a small water connection. remove the cover with the power off, inspect and replace if req'd, it should be dry inside. there is a label on the side which gives you the tech info with the correct pressure range to buy. if you need.

basically you need to ensure the fundamentals are operational before removing for repair which are water flowing, electricity and a functional switch.

personally  regret my purchase as the pressure tank on my pumps is so small the pump start straight away as you open the tap. i have a friend who after having one of these pumps for years replaced it with a multistage pump and is over the moon with the performance, so i am waiting for mine to die before i replace them with a similar unit. i have multiple sources of water and have to change supply from time to time and if a tank runs dry or the village supply stops then i get issues, nothing major just tuning issues, my pumps have had days when they have run dry etc and haven't really suffered from a drop i performance which is a testement to the build quality. so for your to stop so suddenly, you will have to investigate.

Shameus

• Thanks 1