Thai govt confirms extension of visa amnesty to 26 Sept

Jonathan Fairfield

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Sorry I should have made my reason for asking clear.

I should have mentioned it was ref- money in the bank timing.

Got the answer just now.

60 days.

Isn't the amnesty more about tourists stuck here than long stayers on retirement and other annual extensions?

20 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

I think the point is, a lot of people were complaining there was no way to leave, so there MUST be another visa extension for those who live on tourist visas.

They are now arranging flights out - so come September there can be no crying, no wailing, no moaning that its impossible to leave and so another extension must happen...........  its quite clear that the 26th September is the final date. 

If you have not left by then and still on a tourist visa, you will likely be in trouble.

I think people from certain places (Europe especially?) who extended tourist visas BEFORE the 31 July amnesty might have an issue.They will have to prove their flight out of Thailand was cancelled and will surely be asked why they haven't taken one of the many flights that have been available in the interim. Maybe the excuse that the airline they were booked on still hasn't resumed flights or refunded their fare may wash? Personally I doubt it!

• Confused 1

I just checked prices for single KLM  flight out of Thailand BKK to Amsterdam in ….Sept. up to 37000 Bht.....!! now in Juli /Aug. 17500/25000 Bht only ,...seems they expecting  many to be in  need of then booking ! Better keep some Baht in reserve ,as EVA same range ....."Airlines C19 losses compensation tax " probably

Edited by david555

16 minutes ago, david555 said:

I just checked prices for single KLM  flight out of Thailand BKK to Amsterdam in ….Sept. up to 37000 Bht.....!! now in Juli /Aug. 17500/25000 Bht only ,...seems they expecting  many to be in  need of then booking ! Better keep some Baht in reserve 

9,310 THB with Finnair on most Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturdays in August, goes up in September but can still be had for less than 11,000 THB... http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-flights:research=BKKAMS;out=2020-09-26;stay=0

Appreciate it's not direct (change in Helsinki) but it only takes 2 hours longer & personally I prefer to travel FInnair over KLM/AF

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

No, on 27th the hunt will begin. 

BMW Smart cars onboard computers will be loaded with the last known addresses of the now undesireable and expired foreigners.  The search will be began with many wails, screams and gnashing of teeth, and the Obligatory "But Why Me?"

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

9,310 THB with Finnair on most Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturdays in August, goes up in September but can still be had for less than 11,000 THB... http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-flights:research=BKKAMS;out=2020-09-26;stay=0

wow , and does they fly ?  good to now for some in need because longer stay (read spend money ) in Thailand .

I just check random direct common airlines I use (as all those medium booking sites are most time attracting whiteout able to deliver ….), not in need as a ret.ext. 1 year  but never know sudden call could come..

Good to put here some better keep it in record for later 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Reports on Oz news where airlines have become creative. They have limit of how many passengers on flight and people with booked tickets being bumped from flights by people being prepared to buy first/business class tickets. Solution buy one of these tickets and your right to go. 

Edited by DrJack54

31 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Isn't the amnesty more about tourists stuck here than long stayers on retirement and other annual extensions?

I would say yes.

Just that some are getting their heads around the rules etc to change over from 30 days to married/retirement extensions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Used your search any airline , direct no stopover and …..look here  as I don't need to be in Finland …. Finns are lucky seems 

2020-07-22_112625.png

Good news. I'll wait for the Gazetted version on Friday to see if anything might change for the better for me as regards a 1 year extension by marriage at Kalasin.

But my thinking is to get an exit strategy sorted now. By 26 September there might be more travel restrictions in to the EU than at present! Possibly more lockdowns there. I only ever wanted to secure the next 12 months of stay here then leave for several months anyway. So far: told would be denied if I actually applied.

Anyone else had this at Kalasin? To recap: On Savanakhet issued non O multi based on marriage. Entered and given 90 days. Visa then expired. Extended the 90 day permission by 60. By then not possible to cross to Savanakhet. Start of amnesty shortly after. The 60 day extension expired on 9 June. Kalasin 10 say they want seasoned 400k in bank then I can apply no problem. Not able to do that. Income method? They started raising hurdles. So they advised I go to Savanakhet again when I can. I haven't been back.

And I don't want to wait 30 days under approval even if they accepted my appication!

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

Why is your friend stuck? (or for that matter anybody who actually wants to leave for their home country)

There are flights out of the country with seats available daily, anybody who WANTS to get to Europe for example can.

True, there are folks stuck here from more local countries, Vietnam, PI etc. that do have a problem getting home as they must get on a repatriation flight (to their country) and the wait lists are long, anybody from Europe does not have those flight issues.

Yes. There are flights and at the other end EU it's easier now. Will that last? 

The real problem if you do leave is getting back in at the moment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Appreciate it's not direct (change in Helsinki) but it only takes 2 hours longer & personally I prefer to travel FInnair over KLM/AF

Are you sure the currency was correct in the search as even when I click your link for airline in your post  I come up with the 34000 approx. quote ….. or something is computer link messing up ...strange 

Edited by david555

18 hours ago, padthaininja said:

Why the 26 and not the 30th? Does WW3 start the 27th? ????

They work to a strict 30 day month, so add days for Feb and deduct a day for all the 31 days/month.

Heaven knows why, by TIT

14 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Good news. I'll wait for the Gazetted version on Friday to see if anything might change for the better for me as regards a 1 year extension by marriage at Kalasin.

But my thinking is to get an exit strategy sorted now. By 26 September there might be more travel restrictions in to the EU than at present! Possibly more lockdowns there. I only ever wanted to secure the next 12 months of stay here then leave for several months anyway. So far: told would be denied if I actually applied.

Anyone else had this at Kalasin? To recap: On Savanakhet issued non O multi based on marriage. Entered and given 90 days. Visa then expired. Extended the 90 day permission by 60. By then not possible to cross to Savanakhet. Start of amnesty shortly after. The 60 day extension expired on 9 June. Kalasin 10 say they want seasoned 400k in bank then I can apply no problem. Not able to do that. Income method? They started raising hurdles. So they advised I go to Savanakhet again when I can. I haven't been back.

And I don't want to wait 30 days under approval even if they accepted my appication!

Not sure if the refusal is because you have already used the 'one allowed' 60 day extension.

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

Are you sure the currency was correct in the search as even when I click your link for airline in your post  I come up with the 34000 approx. quote ….. or something is computer link messing up ...strange 

I get the same result as @Mike Teavee, and confirmed it on the Finnair website - see photo. Interestingly, the actual "fare" for the flight is only 885 baht, but the "carrier-imposed surcharge" (often called a fuel surcharge) is 7285 baht ????

Screenshot_20200722-114613.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I am in exactly the same situation. I was told (in Mukdahan): Have 400K in your bank before end of July. We will then give you 60 days extension.
After the 60 days extension, your 400K is seasoned, and you can apply and get 12 md.

(After the 60 days seasoning, you are free to withdraw the 400K, as soon as you have got your 12 Md.)
My problem is that I can not get the 400K by the end of July.
As I see it; now I have until 26 Sep. to try to get hold of the 400K.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, khunjeff said:

I get the same result as @Mike Teavee, and confirmed it on the Finnair website - see photo. Interestingly, the actual "fare" for the flight is only 885 baht, but the "carrier-imposed surcharge" (often called a fuel surcharge) is 7285 baht ????

Screenshot_20200722-114613.jpg

Would like to see the final price …., but it is anyway a very low price , but calculate an overnight in it....

I guess my clicking on miketavee link and made so my search changed the link from him to my search, apologies for that I did not knew that could happen …..computers and internet 

Anyway it proves that flights in emergency are possible …. and be sure immigration knows that too ….if it comes to that matter later eventually 

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Hey maybe we should keep the tourists that are actually here!"

"Good idea. What's for lunch?"

true ....the govnt. cronies could care less,,,they arnt effected. they live in a bubble. 

17 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Total foreigners currently in some kind of limbo, probably, but the great majority of those are laborers from neighboring countries who are waiting for the land borders to reopen. For the "foreigners" that we typically picture (westerners, Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Indians, etc.), I would agree with @Captain_Bob that the number affected by this announcement is probably more in the range of 50,000 (or fewer).

‘And with the efficiency of the Immigration Department, don’t you think they could hit F9 on their computer and come up with the exact number, .... or add up all those A4 sheets of paper. Even adding up the A4 paper two months off adding should have been plenty of time for an exact count. ... 300k - 400k sounds like a TAT count figure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s a rare day when we have an opportunity to praise this government 

Praise ??? lol come on. IMO the 400,000 of us are the only hope for the tourist business.LOL our money is more than needed in this time of PLANdemic BS HOAX. However, they could of made us purchase a visa until Sep so...I guess I would say they are kind of caring about the economically hit Thai Citizens ????

22 minutes ago, david555 said:

Yes, as @khunjeff has confirmed it's < 10K with Finnair changing in HEL (1 hour layover), unfortunately the 34K is the price for flying directly - What always makes me smile is it's only 32K to get the same flight but then go onto London... 

You can get the direct flight cheaper by "Skip Lagging"... https://skiplagged.com/flights/BKK/AMS/2020-09-24 - I work it out to be around 20,700 THB with Eva AIr (I would imagine you'd be on the KLM flight as a codeshare) - but this is only really possible if you have hand luggage only as you're not using your connection flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, flynn said:

If you are on a extension of stay based on retirement do you still have to do the 90 day report or can you wait till sept ? Question for a friend who is on koh Samet , 

He has options of email, post or in person.

Only his local Imm' can advise.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Yes, as @khunjeff has confirmed it's < 10K with Finnair changing in HEL (1 hour layover), unfortunately the 34K is the price for flying directly - What always makes me smile is it's only 32K to get the same flight but then go onto London... 

You can get the direct flight cheaper by "Skip Lagging"... https://skiplagged.com/flights/BKK/AMS/2020-09-24 - I work it out to be around 20,700 THB with Eva AIr (I would imagine you'd be on the KLM flight as a codeshare) - but this is only really possible if you have hand luggage only as you're not using your connection flight. 

Now at the end of July  KLM  you can have a 17500 baht  hand luggage only , but a direct KLM flight 

my original point was only that flights ARE available if looking for them …. this for later knowledge...as immigration shall wipe away the "no flight" excuse …. unless solid own proof ….and even then it is a ?? case

And the no money for flight ?  ...is the same if you have a few or even 1 baht too low on your needed seasoning money in Th.bank , or 1 day short.....no mercy….! unless …..Bht 

Edited by david555
  • Like 2