Thai govt confirms extension of visa amnesty to 26 Sept

Jonathan Fairfield

I hope they keep extending this amnesty till the end of the year and longer. If the world is getting hit with 2nd,3rd wave of Covid as by the looks of things its getting bad again and if countries are forced to close their airports and boarders again across the world how can they not keep extending it.

Edited by time2093
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, padthaininja said:

Why the 26 and not the 30th? Does WW3 start the 27th? ????

According to former US president in his rare brighter days WW3 started decades ago. A trade war between the Global North and the Global South - and the Global North (lead by the USA) lost it. In Vietnam. 

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Can anyone give a clear answer?

Must your visa/extension be approved before 26 Sept or does it mean you must have the application submitted before 26 Sept'

No details released yet So everybody is just speculating. Wait for the official announcement?

• Like 1

WRONG

I did not do my 90 day check in may because of the 90 day check amnesty. 

Went to immigration yesterday and did the late 90 day check

immigration told me that if I had not completed the 90 day check yesterday or buy July 31,  I would be fined the 2000 baht fine for lateness.

Now they say it September amnesty and don’t need to do it until 26th.

Something ain’t right in Denmark and Thailand? 

16 hours ago, Calvin1976 said:

Pay for your stay or prepare to go home. 

How much on the visa income reduced for the past few months??? ????

If there is 100,000 people covered by this amnesty spend 1000 baht a day who would have been gone from Thailand more than makes up for the visa fees lost and keeps the Thai economy ticking over. Must sad day for people who are upset that amnesty continues please get a life?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

The sound of 50,000 sighs relief heard across the country. An extra 55 days to get your visa sh *t together or plan an exit strategy. 

Or lean back again, relax, doing nothing and start asking for solutions on several forums with "experts" from September 23rd on?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Is 60 days 2 months or is 60 days 1 day short of two months?

Aug'+ Sept' is 61 days.

Just askin?

I think it is because it's the end of the last full week of September. If they used September 30, that would be Wednesday.

16 hours ago, padthaininja said:

Why the 26 and not the 30th? Does WW3 start the 27th? ????

26 is the last Saturday in September.
1. IOs don't want to start the new week with desperate and grumpy foreigners who are begging for a solution what they didn't care about since April ?
2. Less traffic jam to Swampy on Sunday 27th ?

16 hours ago, coastguard said:

How about we just accept some good news? We are all good for two more months. No crowding into Immigration rooms. Maybe they will even give up on 90 day reporting altogether. They don't want to have anything to do with dirty farang anyhow. I just hope they don't kick us out. I think we are safe as long as tourists are gone. We are the only game in town now.

You contradict your own positive starting comment from lane 2 on ?
And who's US and WE ?

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Extra, Extra Read all about it.  Extension to do whats needed by the 26th of Sept. Just a strange date is all.

It's not a strange date. It's 6 months from March 26 when the "amnesty" kicked in. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I think it is because it's the end of the last full week of September. If they used September 30, that would be Wednesday.

Sorry I should have made my reason for asking clear.

I should have mentioned it was ref- money in the bank timing.

Got the answer just now.

60 days.

16 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Bad news for some TV users. Good news for the rest of us. Looks like one more time the Immigration bureaucrats were silenced by some higher authority in the government. 

Agree with sentence 1 and 2. 3 might have a different reason. ???? 

17 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Try 300,000-400.000.

There aren't that many here who are really able to extend their extensions. Expats can apply for their extensions as usual. Stranded tourists have to leave. 

1 minute ago, RR2020 said:

I think the point is, a lot of people were complaining there was no way to leave, so there MUST be another visa extension for those who live on tourist visas.

They are now arranging flights out - so come September there can be no crying, no wailing, no moaning that its impossible to leave and so another extension must happen...........  its quite clear that the 26th September is the final date. 

If you have not left by then and still on a tourist visa, you will likely be in trouble.

I agree, except there is no basis at all to say there would not be an amnesty extension for those who are not tourists - which is the majority. If borders are still closed then those on any long-term visa would be in the same position they were when the first amnesty was granted.

My guess is that by 26th September local borders might be open again as long as long distance visitors are still banned from entry. Or, they might decide that's too difficult to control and so keep the borders closed. But that date is a very long way off, the way the situation is evolving, ebbing and flowing, second waves etc.

• Like 1