Thai govt confirms extension of visa amnesty to 26 Sept

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Extra, Extra Read all about it.  Extension to do whats needed by the 26th of Sept. Just a strange date is all.

It's 6 months out from the original start date, which was announced April 6 but backdated to March 26.

13 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

How will people with Multi Entry type visas deal with borders still being closed? Nobody nearby seems to have any plans to allow visitors.

I refer to those that have already used the 60 day extension for their current cycle.

Various parts to that equation.

Has the multi 0 gone past use by. local Imm' office only can answer.

Do they have 400,000 or income to convert?

If have the cash can they get an Elite?

Will any borders open with no hassle out/in. ( Very unlikely ).

It's not an easy one to answer.

Edited by overherebc

10 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

How will people with Multi Entry type visas deal with borders still being closed? Nobody nearby seems to have any plans to allow visitors.

I refer to those that have already used the 60 day extension for their current cycle.

Try an immigration office that will issue a 1-year extension from the amnesty. Some reports on here of offices doing it. If one office causes "trouble" ask for a supervisor and plead your case. Obviously in doing so, make sure you meet the financial requirements.

Alternatively, stay another two months and relax, but be prepared to leave on or before Sep 26 with no certainty of when you can return.

Assuming this goes ahead as planned there will be a lot of people buying one way tickets from Thailand to their home country.  I guess that is going to mean a lot of very empty planes making the other leg of the journey unless the Thai Government relaxes who it lets enter Thailand.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So with an expired Non-O Multiple Entry Visa, and planning to get a 60 day extension based on wife/family, I guess I don't need to apply for the 60 day extension until before the 26th of September? 

That is how I look at it as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

So with an expired Non-O Multiple Entry Visa, and planning to get a 60 day extension based on wife/family, I guess I don't need to apply for the 60 day extension until before the 26th of September? 

If the amnesty is extended you can do indeed the 60 day family extension as late as possible in September to get another 2 months out of it.

Phuket immigration is still waiting for the official notice from Bangkok about the amnesty extension ????

• Like 1

Good news but I can see no reference to this extension on the Thai Immigration official website apart from a garbled message in Thai in the 'Announcement' section.  Last time they produced a useful poster explaining the new rules for visa holders and 90 day reporting which I printed off and put with my passport but I cannot see an updated version of it yet.  If anyone has found an update or a more useful and descriptive official webpage on this story can they advise me and everyone else please?

1 hour ago, Adelphi said:

Assuming this goes ahead as planned there will be a lot of people buying one way tickets from Thailand to their home country.  I guess that is going to mean a lot of very empty planes making the other leg of the journey unless the Thai Government relaxes who it lets enter Thailand.    

Airlines are already anticipating to that by coming to Thailand with cargo  (even when needed on the seats ) and taking passengers out by returning to …. , not ideal situation but a solution 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Good news but I can see no reference to this extension on the Thai Immigration official website apart from a garbled message in Thai in the 'Announcement' section.  Last time they produced a useful poster explaining the new rules for visa holders and 90 day reporting which I printed off and put with my passport but I cannot see an updated version of it yet.  If anyone has found an update or a more useful and descriptive official webpage on this story can they advise me and everyone else please?

That kind of things take time, Just wait a few days.

Even the local immigration offices are official not informed yet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, padthaininja said:

Why the 26 and not the 30th? Does WW3 start the 27th? ????

Because it's a Saturday ... So on the 27th of the foreigner without visa will start to be on.... OVERSTAY !

Then on Monday, the cash machine will start back to work ! :D :D

Clever, no ?

PS : No WW3 might start in the 4th of November.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rv Hawee said:

Because it's a Saturday ... So on the 27th of the foreigner without visa will start to be on.... OVERSTAY !

Then on Monday, the cash machine will start back to work ! ????????

Clever, no ?

PS : No WW3 might start in the 4th of November...

unless you go to immigration friday.

Edited by n00dle

20 hours ago, coastguard said:

How about we just accept some good news? We are all good for two more months. No crowding into Immigration rooms. Maybe they will even give up on 90 day reporting altogether. They don't want to have anything to do with dirty farang anyhow. I just hope they don't kick us out. I think we are safe as long as tourists are gone. We are the only game in town now.

"I think we are safe as long as tourists are gone. We are the only game in town now."

How much more deluded, conceited and pompous can some folk be on this forum.???

The ingratitude abounds that somehow, certain foreigners deserve a special entitlement to remain there as privileged people.

As if they are the most important entity to this nation. 

That somehow "tourists", are so different to them.

That Thailand owes them a massive debt, because they chose to make Thailand their long term or permanent dwelling.

You're  tolerated guests at best, with the same parameters as any other foreigner that sets foot there. Whatever your length of stay.

" We are the only game in town now"...

Yeah Right.

You are all fair game... And if the Thai's want to make those foreigners remaining a turkey Shoot... then good luck to them. No need to wait until Xmas either.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, asiacurious said:

I'd guess (and my guess is as good as anyone else's) that it was a preemptive move by immigration in an effort to persuade the government not to do an automatic extension (i.e. with a larger area to handle the crowds (plenty of space for social distancing) there's no good reason to automatically extend).

Of course, there ARE good reasons to extend automatically.  Here's one.  Assume the 50K expat estimate is correct.  Let's say each one one of those people spends THB 60,000 over the extra 57 days of the extension.  (Roughly 1000 per day for food, lodging, doing things.)  Many (most) will spend more, quite a few will spend a lot more.  Some may spend less (hard to do for people on tourist visas, but ok, it's a nice round number to work with).  That's an extra THB 3B into the economy.  Not an enormous sum, but not nothing either.

So now will Immigration/Gov't realise that we are of some use after all, and spend less time making it more and more difficult for us to get Marriage/Retirement visas/extensions, and treat us more like responsible adults rather than kids that haven't done their homework properly? 

• Like 2

I'll add my experience yesterday as an alert for others.

I have an O-A retirement visa and yesterday would have been my 12th extension. But I was denied.

I was denied because I do not have medical insurance from a Thai company. (I have US insurance that is accepted by both Bumrungrad & Mission hospitals for inpatient care. Outpatient care I pay hospital 100% then insurance reimburses me.) The officer told me US insurance does not satisfy requirement - only a Thai company.

My predicament is I doubt any Thai company will insure me at 74 years old with heart problems and diabetes. Before seeing officer I was chatting with another O-A Brit a couple years older than I who said he tried 3 years ago to buy from a Thai company but turned it down when they quoted him a yearly premium of 480,000 baht. BTW - he saw an officer before I did and was given extension; he said they never asked him about medical insurance. Go figure.....

I was almost denied for the 65,000 baht monthly income requirement. Here's how stupid they were regarding that: I receive a monthly direct deposit from US Veterans Affairs (deposited on 1st of month) and another direct deposit from US Social Security (deposited on 3rd of month. Together these 2 deposits far exceed the 65,000 requirement. But..... When either the 1st or 3rd falls on a Saturday or Sunday, my deposit is made on last day of previous month. Meaning in some months I show Veterans deposits on 1st, 3rd and 31st with the Social Security deposit on 3rd of following month. Yesterday, for first time, they said that the sole deposit on 3rd did not meet 65,000 requirement and they were going to deny my extension. I tried explaining for quite some time when the officer finally said they would overlook this year but next year I would be denied extension due to income. Idiots!!

As soon as she she said that she pushed my application fee back to me and said to put back in my wallet because she was denying me due to no insurance.

Today I have retained an agent and she is looking for insurance. But I think it will be prohibitively expensive, especially since I don't need it.

Anyone know how living in DaNang might be.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

This is just a blanket free for all amnesty,  right?

No Embassy letter or visit to immigration required. What was then the purpose of relocating part of immigration to Muang Thong Thani?

Wish full thinking on the part of immigration officers 

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

So you’re one of these conspiracy theorists. I prefer to deal in truth and facts rather than crackpot ideas.

I have a question what does conspiracy mean? The definition of it?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Isn't the amnesty more about tourists stuck here than long stayers on retirement and other annual extensions?

More complex than just tourists . People married to Thais have many problems with the borders being closed . Foreign workers also have problems from closed borders 

1 hour ago, barney42bb said:

"I think we are safe as long as tourists are gone. We are the only game in town now."

How much more deluded, conceited and pompous can some folk be on this forum.???

The ingratitude abounds that somehow, certain foreigners deserve a special entitlement to remain there as privileged people.

As if they are the most important entity to this nation. 

That somehow "tourists", are so different to them.

That Thailand owes them a massive debt, because they chose to make Thailand their long term or permanent dwelling.

You're  tolerated guests at best, with the same parameters as any other foreigner that sets foot there. Whatever your length of stay.

" We are the only game in town now"...

Yeah Right.

You are all fair game... And if the Thai's want to make those foreigners remaining a turkey Shoot... then good luck to them. No need to wait until Xmas either.

I think what he was trying to say was, as long as tourists are not being admitted we are almost the only source of income in the resorts. 

And that those on amnesty (or whatever) have another 8 weeks grace. 

Edited by rott

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Appreciate it's not direct (change in Helsinki) but it only takes 2 hours longer & personally I prefer to travel FInnair over KLM/AF

100 percent agree.
after AF, on a Moscow - Brasil connection cancelled a daily flight on us for not having enough passengers, and let us sleep on the floor (for not having EU visa), no more AF for me.

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Airlines are already anticipating to that by coming to Thailand with cargo  (even when needed on the seats ) and taking passengers out by returning to …. , not ideal situation but a solution 

Thai are advertising one way "repatriation flights" to London for three dates in August, from 29,250 THB in Economy and from 92,085 Baht in Business Class, I received details in a mailshot and they went on sale yesterday, I suspect they'll be bringing Thais and other eligible passengers back.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/book/offers/special_offers/bkk-lhr.page?insNltCmpId=1469&isInsNltCmp=1&utm_campaign=click-bkk-lhr_TH&utm_medium=email&utm_source=insider

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Thai are advertising one way "repatriation flights" to London for three dates in August, from 29,250 THB in Economy and from 92,085 Baht in Business Class, I received details in a mailshot and they went on sale yesterday, I suspect they'll be bringing Thais and other eligible passengers back.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/book/offers/special_offers/bkk-lhr.page?insNltCmpId=1469&isInsNltCmp=1&utm_campaign=click-bkk-lhr_TH&utm_medium=email&utm_source=insider

It was mentioned in Thai parlaiment many Thais awaiting repatriation still...hence minister of foreign affairs like postponing the tourist bubles to come Thailand

1 hour ago, bill1369 said:

Today I have retained an agent and she is looking for insurance. But I think it will be prohibitively expensive, especially since I don't need it.

Anyone know how living in DaNang might be.........

Pay an agent to change you to a Non-O VISA, then you can extend without insurance.

DaNang is great, was there last year, fantastic beach, clean sea and a very nice promenade.

• Like 2