[Opinions?] Pacific Cross Health Insurance

rexall

Hi all.  My BUPA is expiring soon (Sounds dirty, don't it? ???? ) and I am considering changing to Pacific Cross.  I am not crazy about BUPA for a number of reasons, but I have been with them for 10 years, and making a change, particularly at age 70  is a big consideration.

Any of yooz guys been with them or have any experience with or info you can share?

Thanks, lah!

Will PC take you on at 70 without a massive surcharge?

As we age the risks of changing insurers increase exponentially, and the insurers know it!

I'm currently swapping to PC (from a $$$ corporate Aetna policy), or at least trying to. 

I'm only 61 and was completely truthful on my application, treatment for gout and cellulitis (so I'm expecting exclusions), but they now want all my medical records for the last 10 years.

I presume your request for info has nothing to do with the thai IO-approved health-insurance which is now mandatory for retirees applying for a 1-year extension of stay from their original Non Imm O-A Visa.

But that you are looking for REAL health-insurance that will meet your actual needs in case of catastrophic illness/accident.

@Sheryl for sure would be able to give you some good advice on the latter.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I presume your request for info has nothing to do with the thai IO-approved health-insurance which is now mandatory for retirees applying for a 1-year extension of stay from their original Non Imm O-A Visa.

But that you are looking for REAL health-insurance that will meet your actual needs in case of catastrophic illness/accident.

@Sheryl for sure would be able to give you some good advice on the latter.

Well, none of the available coverage will do what you are describing.  But, yes, my preference is something more along those likes than meeting the bare IO requirements.  I am on an "O" visa anyway.  The one thing the agent told me was that new regs that if you leave and re-enter LOS on a retirement extension,  the new Covid-19 provisions require you to demonstrate USD100,000 in coverage.  Can anyone confirm that is the case?

2 hours ago, rexall said:

Well, none of the available coverage will do what you are describing.  But, yes, my preference is something more along those likes than meeting the bare IO requirements.  I am on an "O" visa anyway.  The one thing the agent told me was that new regs that if you leave and re-enter LOS on a retirement extension,  the new Covid-19 provisions require you to demonstrate USD100,000 in coverage.  Can anyone confirm that is the case?

At the moment you can't re enter on a retirement visa period. Some retirees who are married to Thais are able to get a "Certificate of Entry" on that ground but retirement alone does not let you back in.

The US 100,000 cover is one of several special requirements for a COE during the COVID period. It is not a routine imm requirement. 

You would in any event need more than US 100,000 in cover to be adequately insured here.

Do not limit your thinking to Thai companies. International expat policies are usually better not least because the insurer will not raise your rates based on claim history (Thai insurers including Pacific Cross will). 

I suggest you contact AA brokers for detailed optipns. At 70 choices are limited but Cigna Global is definitely an option. I am not certain but I think April (which is what I have) will issue a bew policy up to age 70 so you might just make it. 

www.aainsure.net

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It cost me over 7000 Bht for tests/examinations to be able to apply to Pacific Cross last year, and because it was one of their 'cheaper' policies, it was not refundable. They would exclude ANY prostate cover and one year for high BP, even though I did not have at 71 yrs old. Needless to say I refused, lost the 7000 but at least I knew I was OK. 

Eventually settled with Cigna Close Care @ £3230 a year for up to Bht 12M cover. I made 2 claims totalling Bht 40k, out patient only so they would not pay for the meds I took home. 

Since then I have talked with my local University Hospital who tell me they will look after me whenever needed, for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stouricks said:

It cost me over 7000 Bht for tests/examinations to be able to apply to Pacific Cross last year, and because it was one of their 'cheaper' policies, it was not refundable. They would exclude ANY prostate cover and one year for high BP, even though I did not have at 71 yrs old. Needless to say I refused, lost the 7000 but at least I knew I was OK. 

Eventually settled with Cigna Close Care @ £3230 a year for up to Bht 12M cover. I made 2 claims totalling Bht 40k, out patient only so they would not pay for the meds I took home. 

Since then I have talked with my local University Hospital who tell me they will look after me whenever needed, for a reasonable price.

Thanks for you story Stouricks. Many things to think about. The agent I spoke with also said mandatory physical paid out of pocket. However, company will reimburse up to 10% of the premium of policy. Now, you have got me thinking.  Will they reimburse even if I am rejected or I choose not to go ahead with the policy?  It's on my list of Q's.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, rexall said:

The one thing the agent told me was that new regs that if you leave and re-enter LOS on a retirement extension,  the new Covid-19 provisions require you to demonstrate USD100,000 in coverage.  Can anyone confirm that is the case?

I have the long-stay retirement visa insurance with Pacific Cross now.  I asked that question of the PC representative I've been dealing with and he said yes, if they eventually let retirement visa extension folks back in and the current insurance requirement stays in place, I would need to change my current long-stay policy (that now covers a bit more Baht 700K) to one that covers US$ 100K.

32 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I have the long-stay retirement visa insurance with Pacific Cross now.  I asked that question of the PC representative I've been dealing with and he said yes, if they eventually let retirement visa extension folks back in and the current insurance requirement stays in place, I would need to change my current long-stay policy (that now covers a bit more Baht 700K) to one that covers US$ 100K.

Emirates has just announced that when you fly with them that you will be automatically covered with covid-19 insurance for 100.000 Euro (more than 100.000 US $).

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/covid19-cover/

A bit unclear how that would work, but obviously it is in the Airlines' interest that that obstacle posed by destination countries is taken care of.