People are more likely to contract COVID-19 at home, study finds

snoop1130

By Sangmi Cha

2020-07-21T124404Z_1_LYNXNPEG6K0XE_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SOUTHKOREA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A man and children wearing masks to protect against contracting the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) take a walk at a Han River Park in Seoul, South Korea April 4, 2020. REUTERS/Heo Ran

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean epidemiologists have found that people were more likely to contract the new coronavirus from members of their own households than from contacts outside the home.

A study published in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on July 16 looked in detail at 5,706 "index patients" who had tested positive for the coronavirus and more than 59,000 people who came into contact with them.

The findings showed just two out of 100 infected people had caught the virus from non-household contacts, while one in 10 had contracted the disease from their own families.

By age group, the infection rate within the household was higher when the first confirmed cases were teenagers or people in their 60s and 70s.

"This is probably because these age groups are more likely to be in close contact with family members as the group is in more need of protection or support," Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) and one of the authors of the study, told a briefing.

Children aged nine and under were least likely to be the index patient, said Dr. Choe Young-june, a Hallym University College of Medicine assistant professor who co-led the work, although he noted that the sample size of 29 was small compared to the 1,695 20-to-29-year-olds studied.

Children with COVID-19 were also more likely to be asymptomatic than adults, which made it harder to identify index cases within that group.

"The difference in age group has no huge significance when it comes to contracting COVID-19. Children could be less likely to transmit the virus, but our data is not enough to confirm this hypothesis," said Choe.

Data for the study was collected between Jan. 20 and March 27, when the new coronavirus was spreading exponentially and as daily infections in South Korea reached their peak.

KCDC has reported 45 new infections as of Monday, bringing the country's total cases to 13,816 with 296 deaths.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-21

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Just put the wife out into the garden with tent.

I explained it is for both our sakes. She looks <deleted>. ????

... ????, you mean she doesn't look like a 'happy camper', 555

You're right of course, just tell her it's for the cause, covid victory and all that - and that she's a hero now ... 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

That's only true if one or more persons go OUT and bring the Virus Home. 

If people don't go out  like they have been told then No one Can bring the Virus Home, Right.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

That's only true if one or more persons go OUT and bring the Virus Home. 

If people don't go out  like they have been told then No one Can bring the Virus Home, Right.

You are being sarky or ironic, right. If not, do yourself a favour and watch this. Pretty Polly is smart as well as easy on the eye. I shall listen hard for the sound of a penny dropping.

45 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

You are being sarky or ironic, right. If not, do yourself a favour and watch this. Pretty Polly is smart as well as easy on the eye. I shall listen hard for the sound of a penny dropping.

This is not only total drivel but dangerous anti-medical propaganda.

5 minutes of this was enough. Equating the various responses to COVID-19 to torture is as bad as  Trump's 'let them die for my re-election' stance.

Twisted minds will love it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Are you Serious? 3 min , couldn't listen to that .    Not dropping my Penny bud ????

5 hours ago, khunken said:

This is not only total drivel but dangerous anti-medical propaganda.

5 minutes of this was enough. Equating the various responses to COVID-19 to torture is as bad as  Trump's 'let them die for my re-election' stance.

Twisted minds will love it.

Sorry, forgot we live in the age of the soundbite.

• Thanks 1

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-news-live-true-uk-061042266.html

An expert has said a new mutation of Covid-19 is helping outbreaks spread faster around world.

Professor Nick Loman, from the University of Birmingham, who is also part of the Covid-19 Genomics Consortium, said the new strand, known as D614G, has become the most dominant across the globe.

In Scotland, deputy first minister John Swinney said “something has gone badly wrong” at a test and trace facility in Motherwell after 19 people tested positive for Covid-19, including 14 staff members and five other people “connected” to the centre.

Hm, 2 out of 100 infected people had caught the virus from non-household contacts, while 10 out of 100 had contracted the disease from their own families. So, who infected the remaining 88 out of 100? Their cats? Or am I missing something?