Checklist for 1 year extension marriage

I found this official list from Thai Immigration Bureau. It's a high level list so it doesn't have all the details but was useful for me so I thought I share.

One interesting and super useful note for me was that they would accept an "income tax return" as part to fulfill the financial requirements.

I plan to do a 40k baht transferwise this month and August, and my USA tax return for tax year 2019, which I filed in 2020 (I worked in 2018 and 2019 but took time off to be with family in Thailand this year). Do you think Bangkok IO would accept this to fulfill the financial requirements?

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

Item 18. Visa Extension - family member of a Thai national:

Criteria for Consideration

1. The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. The alien must have proof of relationship.
  3. In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or
  4. In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children,
    or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not
    be over 20 years of age; or
  5. In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
    than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
    400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
    For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
    is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
  6. In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
    of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
    Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form
  2. Copy of applicant’s passport
  3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate,
    registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration
    certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency
  4. Copy of evidence proving the Thai nationality of the spouse, parents, children, or adopted
    children, such as a national ID card, copy of household registration certificate, or other evidence
    issued by the government or relevant agency
  5. Only for Criteria (5) and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a
    bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien
    husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as
    any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving
    retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other
    funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s
    marital or parental status with a Thai national.

To piggyback on @phungo's question... for the 400k baht in the bank does anyone know how the immigration offices (specifically CW) count 2 months? Will 60 days suffice? July and August both have 31 days in the month and I transferred the 400k baht into the bank on July 10th. By the two month rule, the money has to be there until September 10th, but if they "accept" 60 days, then the seasoning requirement is met on September 8th. Then, of course, your current visa or official extension (not amnesty) must have 15 remaining days of validity to process the Non O 1-year marriage visa. I'm trying to make sure I time everything correctly. Sorry if this is old hat or addressed elsewhere that I did not see. 

1 hour ago, phungo said:

One interesting and super useful note for me was that they would accept an "income tax return" as part to fulfill the financial requirements.

That is only for those using income from working here or investment income earned here that meets the 40k baht requirement.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PiMi said:

By the two month rule, the money has to be there until September 10th, but if they "accept" 60 days, then the seasoning requirement is met on September 8th.

The rules state 2 months and they will not accept 60 days if it is less than 2 months.

• Like 1

I've paid taxes for all of this year with 40k +, so maaaybe I might be able to avoid the 400k in the bank?

Salaries have NOT been transferred through banks, its been cash direct so far - but the reporting has been done by my lawyer every month.

What would be the exact criteria for documenting income inside of Thailand? Maybe this is where some people meet with problems for any type of reason...

59 minutes ago, EbhB said:

What would be the exact criteria for documenting income inside of Thailand? Maybe this is where some people meet with problems for any type of reason...

Proof by way of tax payments and a annual tax return and proof it was earned legally. The could be a work permit and proof you are employed. Or if from investments something to prove it.

• Like 1

I don't have a Thai bank account,so for the 400,000 visa requirement will they accept the funds being sent via Transferwise into my wife's account?

I'm going to be good here till end of Oct.,but no telling if borders will be open and entry requirements relaxed by then. If I can avoid it, I'd rather not leave.

15 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

I don't have a Thai bank account,so for the 400,000 visa requirement will they accept the funds being sent via Transferwise into my wife's account?

I'm going to be good here till end of Oct.,but no telling if borders will be open and entry requirements relaxed by then. If I can avoid it, I'd rather not leave.

For Immigration purposes, the 400K on deposit has to be into a Thai bank account in YOUR name.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For Immigration purposes, the 400K on deposit has to be into a Thai bank account in YOUR name.

Each office or officer may interpret these as they see fit.

Here only single accounts

Dollar account acceptable as long as it nver below 400k bahts and every page of savings book

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Each office or officer may interpret these as they see fit.

Here only single accounts

Dollar account acceptable as long as it nver below 400k bahts and every page of savings book

The prior poster was asking about having the deposit go into an account in his wife's name... He didn't say anything about joint accounts or foreign currency accounts AFAIK.

13 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

Is it possible to apply for a single-entry Non-O marriage at CM Immigration?

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant (category O) visa at any immigration office if on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

You have to show 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply or proof of 40k baht income.

Requirments are here: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The prior poster was asking about having the deposit go into an account in his wife's name... He didn't say anything about joint accounts or foreign currency accounts AFAIK.

UbonJoe included a link (Thanks) to the full requirements; about stating evidence of income: ** (Documents under 7.1 and 7.2 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Applicationand all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

Oh well, just thought to throw out a silly what if?...For the last 20yrs I've been spared having to traverse Thai Immigration since I get my Non 'O' in Canada each year,no questions asked.... during these silly times I now have questions!

Edited by HaleySabai

19 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

Oh well, just thought to throw out a silly what if?...For the last 20yrs I've been spared having to traverse Thai Immigration since I get my Non 'O' in Canada each year,no questions asked.... during these silly times I now have questions!

If you already have a non-o visa you do not need to apply for a visa at immigration.

You can apply for a a 1 year extension of stay based upon marriage as mentioned in the OP.

22 hours ago, PiMi said:

To piggyback on @phungo's question... for the 400k baht in the bank does anyone know how the immigration offices (specifically CW) count 2 months? Will 60 days suffice? July and August both have 31 days in the month and I transferred the 400k baht into the bank on July 10th. By the two month rule, the money has to be there until September 10th, but if they "accept" 60 days, then the seasoning requirement is met on September 8th. Then, of course, your current visa or official extension (not amnesty) must have 15 remaining days of validity to process the Non O 1-year marriage visa. I'm trying to make sure I time everything correctly. Sorry if this is old hat or addressed elsewhere that I did not see. 

It's normally 2 months,not 60 days,but it will depend on the IO if they are ok with 60 days.