Som nam na , is basically laughing at you at your exspense/misfourtune,

the western equilivent would be regarded as WHAT A **** you are ,

sorry. what have you done? :o:D

my gf is sayin this like its goin out of fashion

anyone know what this is ?

better yet, anyone got a witty reply

cheers

stu

สมน้ำหน้า=1.เหมาะสม,สม(MOH-SOM or only SOM)=suitable+2.น้ำ(NAHM)=water+3.หน้า(NAH)=face

Might have something to do with tears and crying!? :D

You get exactly what you deserve!Suitable punishment for what you've done.

You didn't study for the exam so it's good you failed you lazy bastard! :o

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Its a bit "like serves you right", if you wake up in the morning with a hangover your GF might say "Som Nam Na" cos it was your own fault. thats not the exact translation, but it gives you an idea of the meaning.

I know a Thai guy who was screwing any girl who had a pulse and as you can imagine his wife was not totally over the moon about the whole business.

Whether she had anything to do with the fact that he got taken out in a "motorcycle drive by" is not known.

He finished up though as a quadraplegic only able to open his eyes and whisper words.

A female friend (of mine) said "som nam naa" when I told her the story.

I think it really fits with serves you right, particularly getting the punishment that one deserves

Theres a bit more to the original tale (relating to the "screwing" bit) but I won't enlarge on it.

:o

my gf is sayin this like its goin out of fashion

anyone know what this is ?

better yet, anyone got a witty reply

cheers

stu

Another witty reply (apart from tum dee dai dee, tum chua dai chua) which is appropriate could also be:

ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง

wah tae khau, I-nao pen eng

I-nao (a famous irresponsible prince) always accuses/blames others but it’s I-nao himself (who’s in the wrong).

It might shut her up!

Its a bit "like serves you right", if you wake up in the morning with a hangover your GF might say "Som Nam Na" cos it was your own fault. thats not the exact translation, but it gives you an idea of the meaning.

I know a Thai guy who was screwing any girl who had a pulse and as you can imagine his wife was not totally over the moon about the whole business.

Whether she had anything to do with the fact that he got taken out in a "motorcycle drive by" is not known.

He finished up though as a quadraplegic only able to open his eyes and whisper words.

A female friend (of mine) said "som nam naa" when I told her the story.

I think it really fits with serves you right, particularly getting the punishment that one deserves

Theres a bit more to the original tale (relating to the "screwing" bit) but I won't enlarge on it.

:D

I wonder what he whispered. Probably, I won't do that again. :o

• 14 years later...
On 8/3/2018 at 3:23 PM, stud858 said:

And google translate gives the meaning as "deservedly"

May all you hoochie mammas have a great day today 

I clicked answer by error sorry

Edited by Tchooptip

Since this thread in spite of it dating from 2004 is not dead, so some people are still reading it,  and it's true we read many time on the various forums Som Nam Na.  So I will allow myself to rectify post number 4 where it is said:

สมน้ำหน้า=1.เหมาะสม,สม(MOH-SOM or only SOM)=suitable+2.น้ำ(NAHM)=water+3.หน้า(NAH)=face

it is not right, in this sense น้ำ does not mean water , but the essential characteristics of what is being mentioned.

like in น้ำหนัก :to weight  

like in น้ำ :generosity, kindness 

like in น้ำเสียง :the tone of the voice

and many more examples, since Som Nam Na is heard very often I hope my rectification will avoid some people to repeat the same false explanation telling นำ in this expression means water.:smile:

It seems from this; นำหน้า น. หน้า(ใชัในความแดกดัน รังเกียจ หรือ ดูหมิ่น เป็นต้น) เช่น นำ้หน้าอย่างนี้ทำไม่สำเร็จดอก - these types never do well.
That we can just think of น้ำหน้า as a pronoun showing negativity; สมน้ำหน้า appropriate for him/her. ชังนำ้หน้า do not like him/her

Would people agree that นำ้ is negative in น้ำหน้า , whereas in นำ้ใจ it is positive, and in น้ำเสียง น้ำคำ นำ้หนัก it is neutral?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect