Netflix cancels TV series over pressure from Turkey to remove gay character

snoop1130

Netflix cancels TV series over pressure from Turkey to remove gay character

BY JUSTIN HARP

ece-yorenc-1-1595353670.jpg

ANADOLU AGENCY / GETTY IMAGES

Netflix has cancelled plans to film series If Only in Turkey following objection from the government over a gay character in the series.

The streamer has opted to completely pull out of producing the series from writer Ece Yorenc just before it was due to begin filming with Turkish film star Özge Özpirinçci, according to The Financial Times.

Yorenc told Turkish news outlet Altyazi Fasikul that Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government wouldn't grant Netflix a filming permit for If Only unless the writer agreed to cut out a gay character in the series.

Netflix executives reportedly declined to bow to censorship orders, choosing instead to shut down the series entirely — a decision that has also proved controversial, since there are other locations where the series conceivably could have been produced with the gay character included.

Full Story: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a33382315/netflix-cancels-turkish-series-gay-character/

Sounds a reasonable reaction by NetFlix; don't produce the show in Turkey. Maybe produce the show in some other country or not at all, the result is money not spent in Turkey. I personally can't think of any film that would want me to visit/tour Turkey, I seen enough of Turkey in Lawrence of Arabia.

56 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Sounds a reasonable reaction by NetFlix; don't produce the show in Turkey. Maybe produce the show in some other country or not at all, the result is money not spent in Turkey. I personally can't think of any film that would want me to visit/tour Turkey, I seen enough of Turkey in Lawrence of Arabia.

Midnight Express was enough for me not to visit.

• Like 1

There may be Gays in Turkey, but the promotion of such is proscribed. Ooh, just like alcohol in Thailand.

Should film it in Greece, really priss off the Turks. Especially in the area of Greece that Turkey invaded. Or maybe in Northern Cyprus...or just Cyprus.

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Midnight Express was enough for me not to visit.

Oh but you should still visit. 

Their whirling dervishes are to die for. 

Don't get me started about the Turkish baths. What happens in Constantinople stays in Constantinople. 

Edited by Jingthing

NetFlix, Google, Nike the NBA just pick one. They have no problem with forced labor camps, persecution of gays. Pick a woke subject, they have no problem jumping on the band wagon and telling the western world how woke they are. But let their masters in China or any other place call them out and they bend over and take it .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Chicken!

Good on Netflix for not kowtowing to censorship

if Turkey, or certain parts of the Muslim world for that matter,

can't be tolerant of different orientations, they are free to remain in the Stone Age.

Edited by varun