How to replace rear bulbs on Honda scooter?

pookett

Yes, I know, before everyone shouts at me, we do not know the exact model of the scooter! It's definitely a Honda 125 semi-auto with a sidecar attached. We"ve "borrowed" it from an elderly family member who had no papers for it. All the the usual decals are long gone and we haven't yet found the VIN number anywhere on the 'cycle. After google-dredging my top possibility is an old "Future" or possibly a Wave or Innova of well over 10 years vintage, most likely somewhere around 20.

Front lights are now all working but the rear single cluster is confounding me. As far as I can see the cluster is held by two vertical bolts on rubber bungs, these are beneath the tail plastic and inacessable. There are no screws passing through the cluster itself either horizontally or vertically. This leaves me to think I need to remove rear sidecar mount bolt, remove grab rail bolts, remove one or both side panels and finally have access to the rear cluster. Just for a bulb!

I could take it to the local repair/bodge man and watch how he does it but would be admitting defeat!

Any insights?

Couple of piccys...

From above      The centre panel has mount screws to the adjacent side panels which are also inacessible (vertical, heads down)

From behind     the screws you see only hold the relector to the main cluster body.

Edited by pookett

It seems to be a 125 cc "Tiger", a Honda copy, pretty old.

Either the whole light is held by two bolts, usually 6 mm- use a 10 mm nut, or wrench, or the light is held under the side panels. Very difficult to say when you don't see more than your photos show. 

If you don't see bolts with nuts that go through, you'll have to remove the side panels.

Be aware that it's often not just the bulbs, water gets in and the seat of the bulbs is corroded and often very difficult to clean, or get the bulbs pout in one piece.

Your photos are not good enough to see relevant parts to tell you more. 

Edited by teacherclaire

Thanks for the further messages.

The bike is definitely not a Tiger, bearing remains of Honda logos and the proper Honda embossed engine panels.

However, on asking a local bodger, he confirmed the rear plastic cowlings must come off to access the tail light and bulbs. Just seems very poor design.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Aren't you able to rip out the whole light? "the cluster is held by two vertical bolts on rubber bungs" but it is and open-ended holes. At least at mine.

2020-07-23_162900.png

This is the worst photos ever.