Tyson to return to ring for exhibition against Roy Jones Jr

webfact

2020-07-23T174052Z_1_LYNXNPEG6M1MB_RTROPTP_4_BOXING-HEAVYWEIGHT-WILDER-FURY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Boxing - Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - WBC Heavyweight Title - The Grand Garden Arena at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, United States - February 22, 2020 Former boxer Mike Tyson before the fight REUTERS/Steve Marcus

(Reuters) - Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson will make a much anticipated return to the ring when he faces four-division world champion Roy Jones Jr. in an exhibition bout on Sept. 12, Triller, the virtual social media and music platform, said on Thursday.

The eight-round fight will be part of a three-hour pay per view event shown on Triller, which has also obtained streaming rights to a 10-part docuseries featuring behind-the-scenes, pre-fight footage leading up to the bout.

The program will also include a "significant" undercard as well as musical performances.

Tyson teased fans about a possible return to the ring in May when the 53-year-old boxer posted videos of himself training.

One video showed Tyson, the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles, hitting the pads with ferocious power before signing off with the message "I'm back".

Tyson later said he was interested in returning to the ring to raise money for charity and potential opponents immediately began to line up for a crack at the fighter known as "Iron Mike".

Old rival Evander Holyfield and New Zealand rugby great Sonny Bill Williams were among those reported to be in line for the fight before Jones Jr. was chosen.

The 51-year-old Jones, who has simultaneously held a record seven belts, last fought in 2018.

Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion of all time when he defeated Trevor Berbick in 1986 aged 20. He won 50 of his 58 professional fights before retiring in 2005 after a loss to Kevin McBride.

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto, Editing by Ed Osmond)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-24

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

I like the Rogue/Pit bull  Iron Mike. I wouldn't like to get hit by him no matter how old he is . 

He's a dangerous fighter/Street fighter. That means He will gives his All .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoff65 said:

They spent their retirement money,it be a joke fight, first one to be hit will drop to the canvas and stay down for a count out. Easy money.

Maybe Jones, but Tyson has a massively flourishing organic weed business in the US that makes him way more money every year than this exhibition fight ever could. 

On top of that he has a very successful podcast as well that makes him money. 

Edited by pacovl46

• 1 month later...

I think everyone is basing this off of Roys post heavyweight chin. We're talking prime for prime here. I don't know that anyone runs through Jones punches that easy and lays him down. Tyson was great but he did struggle with guys in spots and got frustrated easy. I don't know that i see him missing too many punches without it letting mess with him. Not saying Jones wins, but its definitely not the slaughter you guys are envisioning. https://tysonvsjones.wordpress.com/2020/07/25/mike-tyson-vs-roy-jones-jr-fight-date-time-tv-channel-live-and-boxing-rules-announced/

3 hours ago, saniashindet said:

I think everyone is basing this off of Roys post heavyweight chin. We're talking prime for prime here. I don't know that anyone runs through Jones punches that easy and lays him down. Tyson was great but he did struggle with guys in spots and got frustrated easy. I don't know that i see him missing too many punches without it letting mess with him. Not saying Jones wins, but its definitely not the slaughter you guys are envisioning. https://tysonvsjones.wordpress.com/2020/07/25/mike-tyson-vs-roy-jones-jr-fight-date-time-tv-channel-live-and-boxing-rules-announced/

Just read the entire thread again and I dont see a single post saying Jones will get slaughtered.

The way I see it is that technically Jones is the more skillful boxer but Tyson will still have the power if not the speed. Tyson could win fights just using body shots but if that left hook connects to the head its goodnight Vienna.

I think its going to be an interesting competition. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 8:26 AM, JonnyF said:

I have a feeling this won't end well for Roy. He's been brutally knocked out so many times that a stiff breeze would probably render him unconscious these days.

Even though Tyson is the older man, it's well known that the last thing a boxer loses is his power.

Let's hope it's a relatively friendly exhibition, for Roy's sake. 

Roy is already regretting that he agreed to this fight.  Tyson in his prime was a beast.  Most likely he still is....

["If anything, I made a mistake going in with him. He's the bigger guy, he's the explosive guy. He's going to have all the first-round fireworks, not me. I do have first-round fireworks, but he's known for more first-round fireworks than anybody to ever touch boxing, other than maybe George Foreman...."]

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/roy-jones-jr-says-he-may-have-made-a-mistake-in-taking-exhibition-boxing-match-against-mike-tyson/