Steps required to enter Thailand

webfact

21 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Is it far fetched to assume that someone who really wants to enter Thailand does the following:

take a test today,

wait for the results

Create a pdf of the results

Change the dates of the test on the pdf to show 72 hours before arrival

Print the "doctored" results 

I doubt that any airline staff or IO will call the lab/ doctor to verify dates on the piece of paper. We are not talking a passport or notarized document here..

When there are problems, there will always be solutions found

Wow! You are brillianter than me.555  If have any other tips for entry please PM me!

I guess I'm too straight arrow to have thought of that. You have bent me. 555

On 7/24/2020 at 3:37 PM, webfact said:

Day of travel

Travellers are required to carry a certificate of entry, health insurance, certificate of a Covid-19 test taken within a 72-hour period with a negative result and a fit-to-fly certificate. 

....this may be the new norm for air travel...beyond the foreseeable future?

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm in, currently in ASQ...  (hence why I’m filling half my day on this forum !).

There are no additional costs beyond what I have quoted - I’ll spend nothing for two weeks in Quarantine. 

Submission and application for the CoE costs nothing - it is only once the Embassy confirm approval of CoE that the allocated Repatriation flight is paid for, the ASQ booked. At this stage the CoE is issued and the Covid-19 tests can be booked.

There is a lot of paperwork involved with the application, there are a lot of hoops to jump through; we can either get on with it, sort ourselves out and get back, or we can complain.

It’s seems you have decided that returning is an insurmountable problem. Don’t give up, it's frustrating, but it's possible to get back - there were plenty of guys (married to a Thai) on the repatriation flight I was on.

Thanks Richard - Re-member ... Thanks for the Information and +++ on that.

Yes I hope to be giving it a go in a month or two ... I AM hoping the situation improves ? …. But well, I am not holding my breath.

Where did you get your repatriation flight from ? … And how easy was it ? …  Like how long did you wait, and did you get it through the Thai Embassy as their on line application form Implies. ?

The only way from here in Australia I think ? As NO commercial flights in to Thailand ? .... And well I am in South Australia so ??? .... Maybe SIA, Adelaide Singapore Bangkok .... But well though they list the flights ... Double price at $1500 about Aud now (Was $650 I think ?) … Even though they list flights ... they told me last time that they would probably be canceling them all, as Thailand was still not accepting any Incoming Commercial Fights !!! 

So yes Good On You !!! Obviously a winner and +++ on that as you !!! Are now There !!! And good on you ....

Mark mark

So where did you fly back to Thailand From ? … And how easy was that to organize ? And execute ?

Pps. How about the Insurance ? ….  If you were honest and put 9 days in Hospital, to Deal with a Blood Infection and well Anxiety ? (And alcohol abuse ! ) On the application form ?  … Do you think, that it would be that they would classify all this as a “Pre Existing Condition” ??? … So you cannot charge them for any further cases of it ? …. But still give you Insurance … so that you can get in ! … (Which would be just fine for me) …. or would they just disallow you as too much of a risk Do you Think ? or Know ?????

1 hour ago, Mark mark said:

Thanks Richard - Re-member ... Thanks for the Information and +++ on that.

Yes I hope to be giving it a go in a month or two ... I AM hoping the situation improves ? …. But well, I am not holding my breath.

Where did you get your repatriation flight from ? …

Allocated by the Thai Embassy in the UK.

And how easy was it ? …  

E-mailed the Embassy requesting CoE - Provided all paperwork (passport copy, Marriage Cert, Wife’s Passport, ASQ Booking (refundable) etc - the ball started rolling, lots of e-mails from there on in (i.e. I estimate about 50)

Like how long did you wait,

Approx 10 days from application to receive conformation that the CoE would be approved and given two flight options. 

I applied for the CoE in late June (as soon as they announced that the Spouse of a Thai national would be allowed to enter from July)

and did you get it through the Thai Embassy as their on line application form Implies. ?

All though the Thai Embassy in London - direct e-mail. At the time there was no online application form for CoE applicants.

The only way from here in Australia I think ? As NO commercial flights in to Thailand ? .... And well I am in South Australia so ??? .... Maybe SIA, Adelaide Singapore Bangkok .... But well though they list the flights ... Double price at $1500 about Aud now (Was $650 I think ?) … Even though they list flights ... they told me last time that they would probably be canceling them all, as Thailand was still not accepting any Incoming Commercial Fights !!! 

Only consider flights the Embassy allocates to you or tells you to book.

Airlines may list flights but cancel them at the last minute due to the Emergency Decree (cannot carry passengers into Thailand)

So where did you fly back to Thailand From ? … And how easy was that to organize ? And execute ?

UK (Heathrow) to Bangkok - EVA Air. Flight allocated by Thai Embassy in London. 

The Embassy e-mailed me 2 flight options (EVA Air on 19th or 26th - only Business Class available on both flights, eco was full). 

I replied with a Yes and was provided payment instructions (direct Bank Transfer to a UK EVA Air Account). Forwarded proof of payment and received a booking reference (was supposed to receive the e-ticket, but never did - the booking Ref showed a confirmed ticket online).

All easy enough to execute, just a few more steps than buying a normal ticket due to the Embassy involvement, which cannot be avoided with a repatriation flight. 

Pps. How about the Insurance ? …. 

Insurance - very easy. Contacted a broker, looked at options, chose the most suitable plan. 

Applied on the proviso that they would give me a Certificate of Covid-19 over US$100,000 which they provided the same day - it took a while longer to arrange payment / policy documentation etc, but all I needed at that time was that ‘Piece of Paper’ (Covid-19 Cover Certificate). 

If you were honest and put 9 days in Hospital, to Deal with a Blood Infection and well Anxiety ? (And alcohol abuse ! ) On the application form ?  … Do you think, that it would be that they would classify all this as a “Pre Existing Condition” ??? …

Maybe, thats depends how the underwriter classifies their ‘Prexisting conditions’ and whether or not the blood infection is symptomatic and can reoccur, along with psychological conditions. 

So you cannot charge them for any further cases of it ? …. But still give you Insurance … so that you can get in ! … (Which would be just fine for me) …. or would they just disallow you as too much of a risk Do you Think ? or Know ?????

I’ve no idea. My guess is they’d want your money and provide cover with pre-exsting conditions. 

"WHO HAVE BEEN PERMITTED TO RESIDE IN THAILAND" Can anyone clarify this?

I have a 1-year O visa with a big red "RETIREMENT" stamp on it.

As I've been in Thailand without a break for the last 23 years - does this mean I've been "permitted to reside in Thailand" - or is that just a white man's fantasy?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Allocated by the Thai Embassy in the UK.

E-mailed the Embassy requesting CoE - Provided all paperwork (passport copy, Marriage Cert, Wife’s Passport, ASQ Booking (refundable) etc - the ball started rolling, lots of e-mails from there on in (i.e. I estimate about 50)

Approx 10 days from application to receive conformation that the CoE would be approved and given two flight options. 

I applied for the CoE in late June (as soon as they announced that the Spouse of a Thai national would be allowed to enter from July)

All though the Thai Embassy in London - direct e-mail. At the time there was no online application form for CoE applicants.

Only consider flights the Embassy allocates to you or tells you to book.

Airlines may list flights but cancel them at the last minute due to the Emergency Decree (cannot carry passengers into Thailand)

UK (Heathrow) to Bangkok - EVA Air. Flight allocated by Thai Embassy in London. 

The Embassy e-mailed me 2 flight options (EVA Air on 19th or 26th - only Business Class available on both flights, eco was full). 

I replied with a Yes and was provided payment instructions (direct Bank Transfer to a UK EVA Air Account). Forwarded proof of payment and received a booking reference (was supposed to receive the e-ticket, but never did - the booking Ref showed a confirmed ticket online).

All easy enough to execute, just a few more steps than buying a normal ticket due to the Embassy involvement, which cannot be avoided with a repatriation flight. 

Insurance - very easy. Contacted a broker, looked at options, chose the most suitable plan. 

Applied on the proviso that they would give me a Certificate of Covid-19 over US$100,000 which they provided the same day - it took a while longer to arrange payment / policy documentation etc, but all I needed at that time was that ‘Piece of Paper’ (Covid-19 Cover Certificate). 

Maybe, thats depends how the underwriter classifies their ‘Prexisting conditions’ and whether or not the blood infection is symptomatic and can reoccur, along with psychological conditions. 

I’ve no idea. My guess is they’d want your money and provide cover with pre-exsting conditions. 

Thanks Greatly Richard - Re-Memember - Thanks Greatly ... Right, Thinking and will work on it next week.

Yes a bit more difficult from South Australia I would think, re flights at least ? ...

So Which company Gave you the Health Insurance ? ... or I will send you a Private message for this one. ...

Yes I have no Mirage certificate but they have seen my documents including historic Bank payments for the Family, and also my Will which she is in, ... and I think that they have accepted that, like I have had a few Emails from them, and they seem all right. Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia. ... and I see that they have changed the requirements saying "or Supporting documents" instead of just Mirage certificates only.

Ok I will ... but also, No rush ...the whole world still basically ...Going Down !! Like where do I REALLY want to be ..Just for now ? At least S.A. is still No masks and safe ?  ... Well for now any way ? 

So well .... TRY ! ? ... ! 

And Greatest Thanks Richard - Remember.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:26 PM, Bhawana said:

If im travelling with my son for his admission in school to we have to do medical insurance plus covid 19 insurance equal to 100000 usd$ still or just medical insurance will do?

not only thatbut you will also have to pay 200,000 baht for quarentine 14 days this is for 2 people 100,000 baht x 2 = 200,000 baht given to immigration on arrival and money not seen again 

4 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

....this may be the new norm for air travel...beyond the foreseeable future?

also you will have to pay 100,000 baht for another test on arrival and accomodation 14 days quarentine they dont mention that 

23 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Thanks Greatly Richard - Re-Memember - Thanks Greatly ... Right, Thinking and will work on it next week.

Yes a bit more difficult from South Australia I would think, re flights at least ? ...

So Which company Gave you the Health Insurance ? ... or I will send you a Private message for this one. ...

April My Health... 

Contact Pacific Prime - they will give you a list of companies / quotes and you can choose the cover you prefer (I’m 45, my premium us THB 34,000, No Out Patient, THB 32,000 excess, World Wide Ex USA)

Yes I have no Mirage certificate but they have seen my documents including historic Bank payments for the Family, and also my Will which she is in, ... and I think that they have accepted that, like I have had a few Emails from them, and they seem all right. Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia. ... and I see that they have changed the requirements saying "or Supporting documents" instead of just Mirage certificates only.

Thats good, If the Thai Embassy will issue a Non Immigration Type O (Single Entry) Visa) based on that criteria, they may also issue a CoE. 

Best of luck. 

Ok I will ... but also, No rush ...the whole world still basically ...Going Down !! Like where do I REALLY want to be ..Just for now ? At least S.A. is still No masks and safe ?  ... Well for now any way ? 

So well .... TRY ! ? ... ! 

And Greatest Thanks Richard - Remember.

19 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:
On 7/24/2020 at 5:26 PM, Bhawana said:

If im travelling with my son for his admission in school to we have to do medical insurance plus covid 19 insurance equal to 100000 usd$ still or just medical insurance will do?

not only thatbut you will also have to pay 200,000 baht for quarentine 14 days this is for 2 people 100,000 baht x 2 = 200,000 baht given to immigration on arrival and money not seen again 

Bhawana - ignore these alarmist responses....  

My Quarantine is 45,000 Baht - you can shop around for the most suitable ASQ for you and your son, you should be able to get a family room, or two separate rooms (Prices range from 33,000 baht up to 144,000 baht for a single occupancy). The Family suite at the Centre Point is 125,000 baht (for 2 ppl / 15 nights).

ASQ List - https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

Insurance: You will both need Insurance which covers complications as a result of Covid-19 up to or beyond US$100,000 per person. 

Contact Pacific Prime for insurance options (Insurance can run at approx 30 to 40,000 baht - if you include deductibles and do not have out patient treatment). 

Your son may need longer term insurance as he is on an Education Visa (i.e. cover for the year)

You may just require travel insurance for the duration of your trip which would be more cost effective.

You will both need a Certificate or letter from your insurance stating you are covered complications as a result of Covid-19 up to or beyond US$100,000 per person.

Note: No money is given to immigration. The ASQ money is paid directly to the hotel. The costs are close to what the hotels would normally charge per night. 

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

As I've been in Thailand without a break for the last 23 years - does this mean I've been "permitted to reside in Thailand" - or is that just a white man's fantasy?

The wording on the MFA issued statements is typically clumsy. 

"permitted to reside in Thailand” means someone with PR status. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, Jaxxper said:

A friend of mine in the US trying to get back did say he’d found some insurer that would provide it. The premium they wanted was $230/month for each month of stay.

Yes, that's the real problem for older folks.  Even if cover is available, the premium costs for US$100,000 are prohibitive.

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

Show them your extension of permission to stay and reentry permit. 

If I were to need to go out of the country for any reason, I'd be sure to get a Certificate of Residence from immigration before I left.  These are supposed to be valid for a year.

19 hours ago, SVC Porter said:

Do you have a link for these details that the CoE is suspended in UK?  

This is from an e-mail that I received on 16 July from [email protected]

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you very much for your enquiries and the request of the COE, please kindly understand that all commercial flights are now banned to enter the country. The COE can be quick and easy to issue. If you already have the visa, we will issue it straight away BUT we need to make sure that you really have the plane to travel. You can submit the application to this email with the heading that 'already have visa'

We would like to emphasise that there are no commercial flights allowed to get into the country at the moment. However, the airline would like to sell you tickets that cannot really fly. They may be able to refund it later but there is no point applying or requesting COE now.

At the moment, we have some seats already occupied on the repat flight on 26 July as
we prioritise Thai national to go back to the country. We would like to recommend you to wait a bit more and update information and instruction to go to Thailand again later.

We are now stop processing the COE for those who do not obtain the real flight ticket that will really go. Once you have the flight which really exist (not at the moment as they are all banned to get in to the country), you can apply for the visa and COE at the same time as the document is the same via our website.

We will update the information as soon as the information becomes available
at http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services

Thank you very much for your kind understanding

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

So unless you have a flight you can't apply and they don't believe any flights you might have booked are real. From a phone call I was made aware that what they mean is they will only process applications made by someone who has booked a seat on a repat flight - but they arrange them so how do you book one yourself?

Prior to this people were booking (refundable) flights on any airline that was offering them - simply to comply with their crazy requirement to book a flight without having a date - yes I know it doesn't make sense.  This appears to be a way of stopping that. People that have tried to submit the required documents for COE after 16 July get either the above or another similar generic e-mail.

The only current repat flights are with EVA. EVA won't tell you the dates of the next repat flights, the embassy just send that e-mail if you ask to book.  It was clear at that stage that the July repat flights were full but why they can't check eligibility and put you in the queue is beyond me.

The embassy say that some form of announcement will be made week commencing 27/07/20 - there are rumours of extra repat flights in August.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Best of luck being able to board one of those flights in Dubai !!!!!  They cannot carry passengers into Bangkok.

Richard,  I think the point people are making when they refer to flights arriving in Thailand that do not have repat status is that they could be used.

I can't speak for all flights but I know for a fact that not all of them are carrying cargo as some people suggest.

A significant number of advertised flights will be cancelled before they even take off but some still actually fly - its just the seats that are cancelled.  Genuine flights LEAVE Bangkok every day carrying passengers - those aircraft had to get to Bangkok in the first place.

What I can't undertstand is why the Thai authorities won't let foreign passengers with COE arrive on those flights.  I understand that they won't let Thai's using State Quarantine travel on them because they have to co-ordinate their acommodation but foreigners and those Thai's using ASQ could use them without posing any problems.

There would also be an added bonus that there would be more seats available for Thais on repat flights - plenty of foreigners have secured economy class seats on repat flights - a guy I know arrived in Bangkok yesterday travelling economy on KLM from Norway via Amsterdam.

Edited by KhaoYai

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

This is from an e-mail that I received on 16 July from [email protected]

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you very much for your enquiries and the request of the COE, please kindly understand that all commercial flights are now banned to enter the country. The COE can be quick and easy to issue. If you already have the visa, we will issue it straight away BUT we need to make sure that you really have the plane to travel. You can submit the application to this email with the heading that 'already have visa'

We would like to emphasise that there are no commercial flights allowed to get into the country at the moment. However, the airline would like to sell you tickets that cannot really fly. They may be able to refund it later but there is no point applying or requesting COE now.

At the moment, we have some seats already occupied on the repat flight on 26 July as
we prioritise Thai national to go back to the country. We would like to recommend you to wait a bit more and update information and instruction to go to Thailand again later.

We are now stop processing the COE for those who do not obtain the real flight ticket that will really go. Once you have the flight which really exist (not at the moment as they are all banned to get in to the country), you can apply for the visa and COE at the same time as the document is the same via our website.

We will update the information as soon as the information becomes available
at http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services

Thank you very much for your kind understanding

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

So unless you have a flight you can't apply and they don't believe any flights you might have booked are real. From a phone call I was made aware that what they mean is they will only process applications made by someone who has booked a seat on a repat flight - but they arrange them so how do you book one yourself?

Prior to this people were booking (refundable) flights on any airline that was offering them - simply to comply with their crazy requirement to book a flight without having a date - yes I know it doesn't make sense.  This appears to be a way of stopping that. People that have tried to submit the required documents for COE after 16 July get either the above or another similar generic e-mail.

The only current repat flights are with EVA. EVA won't tell you the dates of the next repat flights, the embassy just send that e-mail if you ask to book.  It was clear at that stage that the July repat flights were full but why they can't check eligibility and put you in the queue is beyond me.

The embassy say that some form of announcement will be made week commencing 27/07/20 - there are rumours of extra repat flights in August.

The Embassy means there are no current repatriation flights planned this month other than Eva Air which were both full (19th and 26th). 

Under the Emergency Decree no passengers can fly into Thailand. Airlines are selling tickets for flights people cannot travel on (this is a highly immoral cash grab).

Once further repatriation flights become available (possibly 3x TG flights next month) the Embassy will open up applicants for the CoE. Proof of a flight Booking and ASQ Booking is not necessary for CoE application (by e-mail), the Embassy Allocate the flights and you book the ASQ once you know what flight you have been allocated. 

It's not really any more confusing than that - but the wording used by the Embassy, the lists issued and so many people over complicating a relatively simple issue seems to have muddied the waters. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Richard,  I think the point people are making when they refer to flights arriving in Thailand that do not have repat status is that they could be used.

They can’t be used unless prior agreement has been made with the Thai Government under the conditions of the Emergency Decree for ‘certain’ flights to carry passengers into Thailand. 

Seats on these flights are allocated by the Embassy.

I can't speak for all flights but I know for a fact that not all of them are carrying cargo as some people suggest.

The flights that are carrying passengers into Thailand are doing so under ’permission’ of the Thai Government to Repatriate Thai's. Seats on those flights are only available via the Embassy only, once Thai's have been catered for, the additional seats are allocated to those non-Thai’s who meet the entry criteria. 

All other flights landing in Thailand are not carrying commercial passengers. 

A significant number of advertised flights will be cancelled before they even take off but some still actually fly - its just the seats that are cancelled.  Genuine flights LEAVE Bangkok every day carrying passengers - those aircraft had to get to Bangkok in the first place.

Yes - they arrived in Bangkok as either Cargo flights, or in some cases as ‘repatriation flights’

What I can't undertstand is why the Thai authorities won't let foreign passengers with COE arrive on those flights.  I understand that they won't let Thai's using State Quarantine travel on them because they have to co-ordinate their accommodation but foreigners and those Thai's using ASQ could use them without posing any problems.

Totally agree - Dictatorial control prevents this, a real shame really - the system could be so much easier. Those in positions of decision making power are living with an incredible sense of paranoia that they have allowed ‘foreigners to return’ (under tight conditions) if they eased up the regulations and news gets out that any foreigner has returned with Covid-19 the lost of face will be astronomical !

There would also be an added bonus that there would be more seats available for Thais on repat flights - plenty of foreigners have secured economy class seats on repat flights - a guy I know arrived in Bangkok yesterday travelling economy on KLM from Norway via Amsterdam.

Thai's seem to be given first priority. If the Economy seats on the repatriation flights do not fill up, they are offered to foreigners who meet the requirement to return to Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, Tropicalevo said:

For some time now, Thailand has been saying that covid specific insurance up to $100,000 is mandatory. I do not believe that has changed.

For some time now, Thailand has also been saying that you need to provide certificate from a hospital stating that you cannot get COVID-19 which to me seems like the word no would be a lot more efficient at that point.

I see that is lacking here. But in all honesty I'm seriously considering going the fiance visa route for my fiance because I don't see myself realistically being able to enter Thailand at all for the foreseeable future.

And the more fake news my country (USA) puts out inflating the number of cases, saying that motorcycle crash victims died of COVID etc. the more likely it is I won't be able to any time soon. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Embassy means there are no current repatriation flights planned this month other than Eva Air which were both full (19th and 26th). 

Under the Emergency Decree no passengers can fly into Thailand. Airlines are selling tickets for flights people cannot travel on (this is a highly immoral cash grab).

Once further repatriation flights become available (possibly 3x TG flights next month) the Embassy will open up applicants for the CoE. Proof of a flight Booking and ASQ Booking is not necessary for CoE application (by e-mail), the Embassy Allocate the flights and you book the ASQ once you know what flight you have been allocated. 

It's not really any more confusing than that - but the wording used by the Embassy, the lists issued and so many people over complicating a relatively simple issue seems to have muddied the waters. 

Richard, I am fully aware of all the points you make - I've been fighting with the Thai Embassy in London for more than 3 weeks.  I cannot get any sense out of them whatsoever - all they do is reply by sending the same old generic e-mail. Why they cannot just put foreigners in a queue is beyond me.

One thing I would disagree with you about - maybe proof of flight and ASQ bookings weren't required when you applied - they are now. I can show you at least 4 emails I've received that state that - the content of one is pasted below. When I write back and say "thank you, how do I book them without a date, they reply with an e-mail that just repeats that I must provide proof of booking with the COE application.

On their website the instructions state that an ASQ booking must be made (see the content of the link below) - it no longer says flights at the moment but that position has changed 3 times and in any case, if you email them, they tell you you have to book a flight first (see e-mail copy I received on 20 July).

For those who would like to travel to Thailand, please kindly visit http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html#1

What you need to prepare hard copy to present at the immigration in Thailand: 1. The Certificate of Entry . 2. Declaration form. 3. Copy of your work permit or WP3 or permission to work in Thailand
www.thaiembassy.org

You are required to have the flight booked prior submit the application for COE which can be submitted at the same time as the visa application (if you do not have the visa) .

For those who have already obtained the visa and the flight booked, please submit document and application for COE to this email.

Please be advise to wait until there are commercial flight  first before planing your travelling.

Due to the high volume of emails, we do not reply information which can be found on the website.

You will note the other confusing item in that e-mail - they state 'please be advise to wait until there are commercial flight' yet in the link and in other e-mails they say there are no commercial flights available. I am yet to receive a single e-mail from them that is consistent with what I believe to be the actual current position. It is totally confusing.

Another crazy thing they have at London relates to Thai's returning to Thailand - a few weeks ago I could book a flight for my wife with EVA from London to Bangkok for £525 and EVA told me they would change the date to whatever date the embassy gave for repatriation free of charge. When I spoke to the embassy they told me that was not possible, I would have to book the flight through their system and it would cost £708.  I told them that EVA would change the ticket to the same date once we had proof that my wife would be allowed on it - they refused.  All they had to do was approve my wife's application and arrange the quarantine hotel - I would then change the flight date - they refused. A friend in Norway was allowed to change a previously booked KLM flight in the same way without a problem.

Edited by KhaoYai

47 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Richard, I am fully aware of all the points you make - I've been fighting with the Thai Embassy in London for more than 3 weeks.  I cannot get any sense out of them whatsoever - all they do is reply by sending the same old generic e-mail. Why they cannot just put foreigners in a queue is beyond me.

One thing I would disagree with you about - maybe proof of flight and ASQ bookings weren't required when you applied - they are now. I can show you at least 4 emails I've received that state that - the content of one is pasted below. When I write back and say "thank you, how do I book them without a date, they reply with an e-mail that just repeats that I must provide proof of booking with the COE application.

On their website the instructions state that an ASQ booking must be made (see the content of the link below) - it no longer says flights at the moment but that position has changed 3 times and in any case, if you email them, they tell you you have to book a flight first (see e-mail copy I received on 20 July).

For those who would like to travel to Thailand, please kindly visit http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html#1

What you need to prepare hard copy to present at the immigration in Thailand: 1. The Certificate of Entry . 2. Declaration form. 3. Copy of your work permit or WP3 or permission to work in Thailand
www.thaiembassy.org

You are required to have the flight booked prior submit the application for COE which can be submitted at the same time as the visa application (if you do not have the visa) .

For those who have already obtained the visa and the flight booked, please submit document and application for COE to this email.

Please be advise to wait until there are commercial flight  first before planing your travelling.

Due to the high volume of emails, we do not reply information which can be found on the website.

You will note the other confusing item in that e-mail - they state 'please be advise to wait until there are commercial flight' yet in the link and in other e-mails they say there are no commercial flights available. I am yet to receive a single e-mail from them that is consistent with what I believe to be the actual current position. It is totally confusing.

Another crazy thing they have at London relates to Thai's returning to Thailand - a few weeks ago I could book a flight for my wife with EVA from London to Bangkok for £525 and EVA told me they would change the date to whatever date the embassy gave for repatriation free of charge. When I spoke to the embassy they told me that was not possible, I would have to book the flight through their system and it would cost £708.  I told them that EVA would change the ticket to the same date once we had proof that my wife would be allowed on it - they refused.  All they had to do was approve my wife's application and arrange the quarantine hotel - I would then change the flight date - they refused. A friend in Norway was allowed to change a previously booked KLM flight in the same way without a problem.

Is there any "chances" you actually got on their nerves and now are on their bad sides so to speak?

I have ran into a such issue over the years as my first ex-Thai wife made a nightmare out of my life using contacts she had at the Paris Embassy (I'm a French national), even before said coronavirus situation, the embassy in Paris would NOT issue me any visas whatsoever no matter how I applied, however, applying to the Embassy located in London turned out to be a bliss, I would have no problems getting a Single or Multi TR visa at all given I provided them with the right documentation and sucked up the fees... and yes that is even when applying in UK as a French citizen, they wouldn't be bothered at all circa 2018.

All I'm saying here is it takes ONE bad move or ONE bad look, ONE misunderstanding due to miscommunication or in my case, ONE mischevious phone call to get on their bad side, then they have all the powers to make our lives a nightmare so to speak.

I have learnt over the years; This is the Thai way, in four words; "Immature, irresponsible, childish and reckless".

Edited by GigsGigs

How does anyone in Australia get the Covid free certificate within 72 hours of flight?

It was reported in the paper today that Covid test results take 2-5 days and all you get is a text like this example.

20200727_082520.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, Wavel said:

As of today to leave Thailand one needs a health insurance policy with a Covid 19 inclusion to the sum of ฿100,000. To re-enter one needs a health insurance policy with a Covid 19 inclusion to the sum of $100,000, which is in excess of ฿3,000,000. Go Figure. The whole situation is going from "The Sublime to the Ridiculous". With people in authority pulling numbers out of hats. Some departments wish to get the economy back on track, (building & construction are reliant on local foreign labour) whilst others are intent on making it as difficult as possible for foreigners to gain entry. TIT.

to leave?  isn't that at the discretion of the country your going to?

On 7/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Sheryl said:

i would not bet on that.

in particular quarantine requirement is likely to still be in place, especially since they continue to identify positive cases in quarantine.

With luck maybe they will relax the complex "criteria" for who can come and simply allow anyone eligible for a non-tourist visa (non-O, medical, Business, Ed etc...whatever) . Wouldn't mean that many more people and would certainly simplify an unncessarily  byzantine process.

And with luck maybe there will be at least some commercial flights.

I can't see how COVID will not still be actively spreading somewhere in the world even 6 months hence and as long as it is, expect tourism will stay banned and quarantine be required.  They will also probably still require proof of negative COVID test before flight in an effort to decrease the likelihood of COVID+ arrivals  who would then have to be in Thai hospitals.

as soon as election is over, they'll say ok we have a 'vaccine' now, or 'heard immunity' has been reached and all restrictions will drop

14 hours ago, GigsGigs said:

Is there any "chances" you actually got on their nerves and now are on their bad sides so to speak?

Its possible but that would also have to apply to many others who received the same e-mails.

I would also say that although COE applicants are required to have a visa, this is a very different situation. Your experiences in applying for a visa at the RTE London are not at all related to the current situation.

Several embassies around the world are behaving similarly - I believe its down to instructions coming from above. There are one or two that are taking a more pragmatic approach, some have even said the requirements are 'crazy' - their words not mine which is why I believe that the confusing requirements come from above.

As an aside, you say that you are a French citizen - you may be allowed to apply for visas at the RTE London at the moment but when the transitional period for the EU and the UK ends in December this year, you will not be able to apply for visas in London unless you have a legal right of residence in the UK.

The RTE London is now using the E-visa system which only allows visa applications from either citizens of the country they are applying in or those who have legal residence there.

Edited by KhaoYai

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

www.thaiembassy.org

Are you getting the ‘generic response’ from a general Embassy e-mail, or have your received any e-mails from an Embassy Individual yet i.e. one of the Minister Councillors (from their own embassy e-mail account).

The issue is clouded by the fact that the application for a Visa requires a flight ticket (online process).

The assumption is that anyone applying for CoE from outside of Thailand does not have a visa. 

IF You already have a Non-Immigrant Visa (or PR Status) - you can apply for the CoE directly (via e-mail) without also having to go through the online Visa Process. 

All of this is fairly moot at the moment because they Thai Embassy in the UK are not processing CoE applications until repatriation flights are available. 

[Please be advise to wait until there are commercial flight  first before planing your travelling.]

This tells me that there is going to be no processing of CoE for foreigners until all Thai’s have been allocated seats on available repatriation flights. Only then will the processing of CoE for foreigners commence to take up any remaining seats (most likely with availability remaining in business class only)

The waters are further muddied by the general embassy response when they refer to ‘commercial flight tickets’ as there are no commercial flights, hence any CoE applicant finds themselves in impossible situation which defies any common sense or logic. 

The ‘ official’ advice has not changed since day 1: The list of requirements I was sent (in a generic embassy e-mail) included ASQ booking and flight tickets, Covid-19 tests required on application (more than 10 days in advance of planned travel) and less than 72 hrs before travel. All rather daft and unreasonable. 

I’m sure that the ‘official' Instructions and information’ is a transliteration of the MFA instructions (which officially cannot be altered). As soon as we start dealing with a 'human’  (Embassy contact by name) there is an application of common sense and element of discretion.

As soon as I was notified that the CoE application was going to be processed I was told ’not to book a flight ticket or make an ASQ booking’ at that time.

I was allocated a seat on a repatriate flight by the Embassy, I then needed to pay the flight (paying directly to EVA) and E-mail my ASQ booking to the Embassy before I would receive the CoE. 

I very much doubt this has changed - it just seems the Embassy is sending out generic responses until such a time that CoE applications are being processed again. 

Regarding the change of the Eva Ticket - I’m not sure why that would be (that your wife couldn’t simply change her date), my guess is the online payment is international whereas the the Direct Payment via the Embassy goes into the EVA UK account. Or, its a simple matter that the Embassy wants absolute control to avoid any mistakes or overbooking. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Several embassies around the world are behaving similarly - I believe its down to instructions coming from above. There are one or two that are taking a more pragmatic approach, some have even said the requirements are 'crazy' - their words not mine which is why I believe that the confusing requirements come from above.

I think thats pretty much it... 

In the ‘Generic’ emails everyone is getting the ‘official’ line. 

Once CoE applications are actually being processed and people are being responded to on an individual basis a more pragmatic approach is taken.