Confused by London Embassy emal

My parents are from Thailand, along with my sister, and are still there living in Bangkok. So i commence my journey to get back to them. So naturally i assume i qualify to get back to Thailand. I get all the paper work ready, my parents got an agent in Thailand and emailed me all the documents i require. 

Contact Thai embassy who tell me to issue them the paper work for a visa. HOWEVER, they are not issuing 'certificate of entry' at the moment, because there are no commercial flights to Thailand.

EH?!!?! WTH ?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!??

I've spent months torturing over getting my paper work ready, and they tell me i can't get back anyways.

So how on earth are all these people i'm seeing getting back to their families in Thailand, teachers returning to work, etc ? Which commercial flights are they taking?

This has been an earth shattering blow. 

Edited by AndrewMciver

I think you are mixing something up, the fit to fly certificate has to be issued by a doctor and you have to send it to the embassy, the embassy does not issue it.

Is any of your parents Thai? If not, on which basis do you want to enter Thailand? Work? School?

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think you are mixing something up, the fit to fly certificate has to be issued by a doctor and you have to send it to the embassy, the embassy does not issue it.

Is any of your parents Thai? If not, on which basis do you want to enter Thailand? Work? School?

*correction* meant CERTIFICATE OF ENTRY

My mother is a Thai. 

Once you get your visa. You then need that certificate. But how do i learn about what commercial flights are available? At what point do you get your certificate of entry, once you booked the flight, or before hand?

Just now, AndrewMciver said:

But how do i learn about what commercial flights are available?

Commercial passenger flights are still banned from Thailand, so there are none, only repatriation flights.

1 minute ago, AndrewMciver said:

My mother is a Thai. 

Get a Thai passport or an emergency travel document issued from the Thai embassy and do this whole procedure as Thai instead of using your UK passport. As a Thai it's easier, faster and way cheaper.

If your Mother is Thai, so are you. Do you not have a Thai passport?

Assuming you are in the application process because you do not have a Thai Passport:

I suspect the Embassy is going to process your application for a Visa first.

Then, when repatriation flights become available that ‘visa' step is out of they way and they may then process an application for the Certificate of Entry.

Ultimately, I suspect that they are not processing any more CoE applications at the moment because there are no planned repatriation flights to place anyone on or the list is already huge / at a certain limit.

-------

No one is taking any commercial flight back to Thailand. People who are able to return have applied for the Certificate of Entry as early as possible. 

As soon as it was announced that those Married to Thai citizens could return I e-mailed in to the Thai Embassy immediately, as soon as I received a response I submitted the required documentation. 

Once you have been given notification that you can apply for the CoE, respond immediately.

Edited by richard_smith237

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(Is that correct? if your parents are Thai, so are you. Do you not have a Thai passport?)

Then, when repatriation flights become available that ‘visa' step is out of they way and they may then process an application for the Certificate of Entry.

Is this the Thai Embassy in the UK??? 

Ultimately, I suspect that they are not processing any more CoE applications at the moment because there are no planned repatriation flights to place anyone on.

-------

No one is taking any commercial flight back to Thailand. People who are able to return have applied for the Certificate of Entry as early as possible. 

As soon as it was announced that those Married to Thai citizens could return I e-mailed in to the Thai Embassy immediately, as soon as I received a response I submitted the required documentation. 

Once you have been given notification that you can apply for the CoE, respond immediately.

When you say e-mailed the embassy, just a message explaining your situation, is that correct?

Then they reply and then the process begin?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When you say e-mailed the embassy, just a message explaining your situation, is that correct?

Then they reply and then the process begin?

Thanks.

Caveat - The process at the Thai Embassy UK may well be different now. 

Those applying to Embassies and Consulates in the US seem to have be applying for the CoE through an online process (I’m not sure I haven’t gone through it). 

To answer your question HBH

- In late June I wrote to [[email protected]] the Thai Embassy in London to ask what the specific requirements are (I received no reply - do not use this address). 

- A day later I wrote forwarded the same letter to [[email protected]] and received a response listing the requirements. 

- I immediately responded (within a few hours) with all the requested documents (except fit to fly and covid certificates) (I’d already had the insurance certificate issued and had been in contact with ASQ’s) 

- A week later the process seemed to ‘kick into action’ with a lot of e-mails back and forth (lots of e-mails !).

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Caveat - The process at the Thai Embassy UK may well be different now. 

Those applying to Embassies and Consulates in the US seem to have be applying for the CoE through an online process (I’m not sure I haven’t gone through it). 

To answer your question HBH

- In late June I wrote to [[email protected]] the Thai Embassy in London to ask what the specific requirements are (I received no reply - do not use this address). 

- A day later I wrote forwarded the same letter to [[email protected]] and received a response listing the requirements. 

- I immediately responded (within a few hours) with all the requested documents (except fit to fly and covid certificates) (I’d already had the insurance certificate issued and had been in contact with ASQ’s) 

- A week later the process seemed to ‘kick into action’ with a lot of e-mails back and forth (lots of e-mails !).

Thanks.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If your Mother is Thai, so are you. Do you not have a Thai passport?

Assuming you are in the application process because you do not have a Thai Passport:

Ultimately, I suspect that they are not processing any more CoE applications at the moment because there are no planned repatriation flights to place anyone on or the list is already huge / at a certain limit.

-------

Thanks Richard for getting in touch. Few questions if you don't mind :

1) So to clarify, i apply for the visa. Assuming it is accepted, what would be my next step? How do i initiate the 'certificate to fly' process? 

2) Are there no commercial flights into Thailand at all? You can still make dummy bookings on Kayak with Qatar, Oman, Swiss, etc Few passengers i've spoken to on facebook have returned on commercial airlines. But i assume as the embassy in Thailand is saying there are no commercial flights then there isn't. 

3) Once/if i get the visa, and initiate the certificate to fly process how do i get on a repatriation flight? How long is the waiting list? If for example, it's going to take months and months, then it's pointless me applying as i'm due back to work in January. It's gut wrenching getting information from the Thai embassy.

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

Thanks Richard for getting in touch. Few questions if you don't mind :

1) So to clarify, i apply for the visa. Assuming it is accepted, what would be my next step? How do i initiate the 'certificate to fly' process? 

Given recent information on this forum, my guess is that you will receive a response that the Thai Embassy in the UK are currently not processing CoE applications (you’ve already received such a response).

Keep contacting the Embassy [[email protected]] i.e. every week, at some point they will start accepting Certificate of Entry Applications again (this could take a month or more - its purely dependent on when the Embassy will start processing the CoE applications again).

As soon as you receive an affirmative response, initiate a Visa Application application [www.thaievisa.go.th] - set up an account and apply for your Visa (*Non-Immigration Type O Single Entry - visiting or staying with applicant's family in Thailand) - [unless you have been told to apply for a different Visa]. 

The Type O Visa application can be completed in about 45mins (if you have all your necessary documents ready to submit online i.e. correct file sizes <500kb and JPEG Format) - you can actually do this in advance and save your application (remember your log in details !) so all you have to do is pull the trigger and pay when you are ready to complete the Visa Application (i.e. after conformation that CoE are being processed again). 

At this stage you already have some e-mails trails with the Embassy and may be dealing with the specific Minister Councillor (member of Embassy Staff). 

E-mail the Embassy (or your assigned contact at the Embassy) and submit the documents required at this stage. 

- Visa Application approval (document with bar code on it),

- Certificate of Insurance which states Covid-19 Cover to US$100,000,

- Necessary Documents (which show you are the Son of a Thai National),

- Passport copies etc.

- Declaration form of consent to be quarantined for 14 days (the Embassy sends you this)

- (You will be told at this stage there is no need to book a flight or ASQ)

State in this submission e-mail that you have applied for a Visa and you would like to apply for a Certificate of Entry document to travel back to your Thai Mother (i.e. statement of your purpose of visit). 

You will need to arrange an appointment with the Embassy to have your Visa Stamp attached to your passport (this is of course easier if you are in London).

If time permits, this may also be possible by post (courier). 

(It may take a while) Once Your Certificate of Entry application has been approved the Embassy will inform you of which flight you can take. Confirm that you accept the flight with Embassy via e-mail. You will have to fill out some details and send the document (xls) back to the Embassy. The Embassy will then respond with payment details (you pay directly to the airline via Bank Transfer).

At this Stage Book the ASQ (you may need to forward your embassy e-mail confirming approval of CoE to the ASQ hotel ).

Send the conformation of payment for the Flight Ticket and the ASQ booking to the Embassy. 

The Embassy will send you your Certificate of Entry. 

The Embassy will send you a T8 form to fill out (its just a form with your details on it)

The Airline will (should) e-mail you your flight ticket. 

The Airline will e-mail you a ‘declaration form’ to fill out (for check-in)

You then need to secure a Covid-19 test to be taken within 72 hours of departure. 

You also need to secure a Fit to Fly document from a Doctor (this can be obtained at the same place you took your Covid-19 test, or you can use an online Doctor)

All documents need to be presented at Check-in.

2) Are there no commercial flights into Thailand at all? You can still make dummy bookings on Kayak with Qatar, Oman, Swiss, etc Few passengers i've spoken to on facebook have returned on commercial airlines. But i assume as the embassy in Thailand is saying there are no commercial flights then there isn't. 

There are NO Commercial ‘passenger’ flights into Thailand Under Thailands Emergency Decree. 

The ONLY flights permitted to carry passenger into Thailand are the Repatriation flights (which are commercial airliners). 

Do not buy any ticket on an Airline which you ’think’ is flying into Thailand - the airlines are chancing their luck and will take 10-12 weeks to refund your money for a flight they knew you couldn’t travel on (this is illegal according to EU Regulation 261/2004 - refund should take less than 7 days - the airlines don’t care, they need cashflow).

Note: Flights are landing in Thailand, this can been shown on BKK Airport Arrivals Website - this is misleading - these arriving flights are Cargo Flight (and some repatriation flights) - So, Qatar, Oman, Swiss - forget them (I learned this the hard way and am still awaiting my refund from Qatar).

3) Once/if i get the visa, and initiate the certificate to fly process how do i get on a repatriation flight? How long is the waiting list? If for example, it's going to take months and months, then it's pointless me applying as i'm due back to work in January. It's gut wrenching getting information from the Thai embassy.

*Note: I believe that people can only apply for Non-Immigration Type O single entry visas at the moment and the system is locked - the Singe Entry can be extended once in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Get a Thai passport or an emergency travel document issued from the Thai embassy and do this whole procedure as Thai instead of using your UK passport. As a Thai it's easier, faster and way cheaper.

That might lead to more complications dependent upon if he has a Thai birth certificate issued here at birth or at at the embassy.

If he entered as a Thai he would have to leave as one and on a certificate of identity that would mean getting a Thai passport here if his birth was registered here and he has a Thai ID number. If not registered it can be a very complicated process to do it.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Note: I believe that people can only apply for Non-Immigration Type O single entry visas at the moment and the system is locked - the Singe Entry can be extended once in Thailand. 

Edited 5 hours ago by richard_smith237

If has proof of for his mother being Thai he could apply for a one year extension at immigration based upon being a returned Thai national.

Does anyone have a copy of the email UK embassy sent saying no more CoE being issued?  

This is what I received:

If you have all document requested, you can submit the document to proceed visa and COE at the same time at http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services

You are also required to bring in a copy of all document submitted.

Please note that COE will be issued once you have the confirmed flight and ASQ.

We would like to emphasise that there are no commercial flights allowed to get into the country at the moment. However, the airline would like to sell you tickets that cannot really fly. They may be able to refund it later. It would be better to wait a little more until there are updated.

There will be a repatriation flight. The seat will be allocated prioritise for Thais. Please keep update further information about the seat available at www.thaiembassy.org./london

Should you any further enquiries, please kindly contact
[email protected]

Thank you very much

15 hours ago, SVC Porter said:

Please keep update further information about the seat available at www.thaiembassy.org./london

I have looked and looked but can't find any information on the site about potential seat availability on repatriation flights. Has anyone else found it and if so, do you have a direct link?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I have looked and looked but can't find any information on the site about potential seat availability on repatriation flights. Has anyone else found it and if so, do you have a direct link?

There is no way to directly find seats, once the embassy have your documents and are satisfied, you will be contacted and offered a seat once repatriation flights are known, note the embassy have not notified any flights for august yet, AND there will be a queue

Edited by howerde
MISSING TEXT

I wasn't expecting there to be a way to directly find seats but I was hoping there would at least be some general info - for instance, the fact that there is no information yet about flights in August would be helpful.

If they're not going to put any info at all on there and you just have to enquire directly, they should say that, instead of implying that you can get info about seat availability on the site when you actually can't.

17 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I wasn't expecting there to be a way to directly find seats but I was hoping there would at least be some general info - for instance, the fact that there is no information yet about flights in August would be helpful.

If they're not going to put any info at all on there and you just have to enquire directly, they should say that, instead of implying that you can get info about seat availability on the site when you actually can't.

There is a recent post that Thai are having 3 flights from BKK-lONDON in August, so there is a chance that the return flights will be used as repatriation flights. To be fair to the London embassy, they are probably in the dark as well, as the decisions are taken in Thailand, it's frustrating  for all

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/book/offers/special_offers/bkk-lhr.page

Edited by howerde
edit
  • Like 1

I've been back and forth through the UK RTE site and still cannot find any direct quote where they say no CoE are being issued at present.

I'll call them in the morning and post here if I get any further info.  Don't hold out though as they weren't answering calls last week!

Just for info....this in my email this morning.

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you very much for the queries about travelling to Thailand for foreigners and according to the list of categories of travelling purposes that are allowed to enter the country. However, it could be very difficult. We would like to recommend to you postpone it or consider not to travel if not necessary.

You would need to check whether what visa you are required as well as the Certificate of Entry (COE). If you already have the valid visa or re-entry permit, you would still need the COE 
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html.

1. We would like you to read the link below carefully

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html
to make sure that you are in one of the categories that are allowed to enter Thailand during the COVID19.

2. You would need the flight before anything else, before applying for the visa and COE. If you do not have the flight to fly, you will waste of time and money applying for Visa and COE.

As you may know that ALL commercial flights are banned to get in to Thailand at the moment UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, some airlines still sell ticket hoping the borders will be opened by when the ticket dated to fly. In fact, Thailand is still closed the borders.

At the moment, there are the REPATRIATION FLIGHTS offered by the airlines that have been arranged specifically to urgent need of people who would really like to travel to Thailand.

The Repatriation flights will be prioritised to Thais but still there are a few seats available for foreigners. The booking could be found on the website or Facebook page of the Embassy as soon as the information becomes available.  

3. The quarantine is also strictly required. For foreigners, you need to book the ASQ (the hotel where the government approved for the Alternative States Quarantine). These spaces are also limited due to the high demand of foreigners from all over the world who would like to enter the country.

Please note that, If you cannot book the hotel on the date of arrival according to the flight date, you will not be able to travel as the COE will identify the flight ticket and the ASQ.

4. Once you have 2 and 3, you can apply for the visa and COE at the same time at

https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

If you have everything we required, the visa and COE will be very easy to get approved.

Please note that the insurance covering covid is required to clearly stating that it covers at least 100,000 in Thailand (NOT WORLDWIDE), with your name as a policy holder on the same page. If you do not have this, please make a request to the insurance company to write the letter.

5. All non-Thai passengers are also required to have a Fit to Fly health certificate and a medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), both issued within 72 hours before departure. This is your own responsibility as these 2 documents will have to be presented upon check-in with the airlines and arrival in Thailand.

Thank you very much

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

There isn’t any public information. IF there are seats available for any repatriation flight, the Embassy will notify you once they open up the CoE application process again. 

The CoE application process its current ‘closed’ because there are no repatriation flights. I’m sure that situation will change as repatriation flights become available over the coming weeks. 

5 hours ago, SVC Porter said:

Just for info....this in my email this morning.

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you very much for the queries about travelling to Thailand for foreigners and according to the list of categories of travelling purposes that are allowed to enter the country. However, it could be very difficult. We would like to recommend to you postpone it or consider not to travel if not necessary.

You would need to check whether what visa you are required as well as the Certificate of Entry (COE). If you already have the valid visa or re-entry permit, you would still need the COE 
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html.

1. We would like you to read the link below carefully

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html
to make sure that you are in one of the categories that are allowed to enter Thailand during the COVID19.

2. You would need the flight before anything else, before applying for the visa and COE. If you do not have the flight to fly, you will waste of time and money applying for Visa and COE.

As you may know that ALL commercial flights are banned to get in to Thailand at the moment UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, some airlines still sell ticket hoping the borders will be opened by when the ticket dated to fly. In fact, Thailand is still closed the borders.

At the moment, there are the REPATRIATION FLIGHTS offered by the airlines that have been arranged specifically to urgent need of people who would really like to travel to Thailand.

The Repatriation flights will be prioritised to Thais but still there are a few seats available for foreigners. The booking could be found on the website or Facebook page of the Embassy as soon as the information becomes available.  

3. The quarantine is also strictly required. For foreigners, you need to book the ASQ (the hotel where the government approved for the Alternative States Quarantine). These spaces are also limited due to the high demand of foreigners from all over the world who would like to enter the country.

Please note that, If you cannot book the hotel on the date of arrival according to the flight date, you will not be able to travel as the COE will identify the flight ticket and the ASQ.

4. Once you have 2 and 3, you can apply for the visa and COE at the same time at

https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

If you have everything we required, the visa and COE will be very easy to get approved.

Please note that the insurance covering covid is required to clearly stating that it covers at least 100,000 in Thailand (NOT WORLDWIDE), with your name as a policy holder on the same page. If you do not have this, please make a request to the insurance company to write the letter.

5. All non-Thai passengers are also required to have a Fit to Fly health certificate and a medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), both issued within 72 hours before departure. This is your own responsibility as these 2 documents will have to be presented upon check-in with the airlines and arrival in Thailand.

Thank you very much

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

That's far more detailed than emails i am getting, which tantamount to telling me to stop wasting their time and stay at home. 

How do you apply for a visa and the COE at the same time? There is nothing in the link once you get to the visa section. 

The Thai Embassy UK has updated their web-page. 

I reckon it would make sense to e-mail the Embassy and see if you can get yourself on a the Queue for the CoE applications once they open.

I suspect if you send in your Details (listed below) you will be considered for application. 

- Passport Copy

- Marriage Certificate 

- Non-Immigrant Visa (or indicate that you will apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa)

- Wife’s Passport

- Declaration Form (to be placed in Quarantine) 

- Heath Insurance Certificate (inc US$100,000 Covid-19 Cover)

I ‘believe’ that your application will be considered without the need to present a Flight ticket or ASQ booking, you can request in your e-mail that you would like to apply for one of the Repatriation flights on 9th, 16th or 23rd August and will secure ASQ as soon as you have confirmation that you have been allocated a repatriation flight. 

-------------

Thai Embassy, UK link:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/120100-**Repatriation-Flights-for-non-Thai-nationals**.html

**Repatriation flights for non-Thai nationals**

Rrgistration will be open soon.

While commercial flights are banned from entering Thailand, the Embassy has arranged repatriation flights to facilitate Thai nationals and non-Thai nationals in the UK and Ireland who need to go to Thailand.

Each flight can accommodate up to 50 non-Thai nationals.

There are 3 flights in August 2020 by Thai Airways International :

- Flight#1 on 9 August 2020

- Flight#2 on 16 August 2020

- Flight#3 on 23 August 2020

All flights are TG917, departing at 21.25 hrs. from London Heathrow Airport, Terminal 2.

Economy class tickets are £689.00 and business class tickets are £2,802.00 (one way from London to Bangkok). 

The Emybassy will send the list of registered passengers to Thai Airways International to make booking. Payment for tickets will be made directly to Thai Airways International. 

The Embassy reserves the rights for Thais and non-Thai nationals in the UK and Ireland. 

**The Embassy will issue the Certificate of Entry (CoE) to registered passengers after they have submitted the ASQ hotel booking confirmation.**

For the list of ASQ booking, please see http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/contents/filemanager/document/List%20of%20ASQ%20Hotels%2026062020.pdf

For more information on the CoE requirements and visa application, please see  http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html