car engine oil leak, complicated and expensive fix ?

SePl

1 hour ago, SePl said:

Thank you to all, I will take a new photo after cleaning the part, but it's not my car so can take a while. Standard gasoline if enough to clean the engine ?

About the hole. I don't know what it is also, other vigo do not have it ?

So I understand that it's just the gasket cover joint that is leaking, and it's not urgent repair. But then, can this joint be changed or something like silicone must be used ? Do you think that any standard garage can do it in 1 hour while i'm waiting ?

Thanks again.

Its not really a new leak as such, Personally I would de-grease it and just see how it goes, if an older vehicle and its never been cleaned before it may just be stray residue from slight spillage occured at oil changes............ it has had oil changes ?

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2020 at 5:35 AM, worgeordie said:

In the second picture,above and to the right of the pen, the bolt in

the rocker cover seems to have a crack around it...or is it just the picture.

regards worgeordie

I think you're the grand prize winner. That's why there's oil all over the valve cover. Someone over tightened and now a new valve cover is needed. As well as a gasket. Cheap on Lazada.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Its not really a new leak as such, Personally I would de-grease it and just see how it goes, if an older vehicle and its never been cleaned before it may just be stray residue from slight spillage occured at oil changes............ it has had oil changes ?

Yeh, the filler cap is fully visible, just above the oil "leak".....????

On 7/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, Shot said:

Valve cover gasket? That should be an easy fix, but not to worry unless you're losing bunches of oil, or getting smoke in the cab. IMHO.

If the leak is in 'bunches' it is very old oil and needs digging out and replacing with liquid oil.

1 hour ago, SePl said:

Standard gasoline if enough to clean the engine ?

Sure make sure its a red  hot engine and it  will definitely clean any problems  out, watch out for the slight burning smell also????

29 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Your asking the OP to confirm your eye sight is shot ?

go back to polishing pictures of an old slow transam you no longer own.

Reminds me, you used to post up that <deleted>box daily but not for a while now.... are you finally over it ?

If you insist, spot the oil leak, oh, there isn't one............????

Picasa_9.jpg.a0c309b5f88b0f895d78c6746638b4bd.jpg

Based on the pics you sent, yeah, I'd guess valve cover gasket and tightening nuts/bolts holding the cover on could solve the problem.   However, you cannot crank down with all your might on those nuts/bolts because you can crush the gasket which could result in more leakage.   Those bolts with have a torque specification, and it's going to be light.  They are not lug nuts.   Best is if you can use a torque wrench and tighten to spec.

As far as replacing the gasket, same thing applies ... you don't want to crank down super tight on those.   With regard to ease of replacing the valve cover (rocker arm) gasket, it really depends on the car.   A Toyota Avalon for example, requires you to pull the intake manifold off.  Not something a backyard mechanic wants to mess with.  Based on your picture, it appears to be a single head.....maybe four cylinder?   It also appears that there is not much in the way.   Older cars are typically a lot easier as they have less going on under the hood.   If you do the valve cover, I'd suggest re-torquing the cylinder head bolts.   There is a pattern to tightening them, and there is a torque specs.   Can't really see clearly if the head gasket is leaking, but a good preventative measure if you've got the valve cover off.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:46 PM, transam said:

From the pic it looks like a 'pen point' is poked in a hole. 

OP, is there a hole or are you pointing at oil...?

In my view it appears that there is a clean looking threaded hole about one inch to the left of the pen point

If there is a hole (as opposed to a gasket issue) I have the same thing on my 18 year old car and have lived with it now for a a couple of years.

My favorite mechanic, who is excellent and reliable, tells me it would not be costly to fix but would take a long time (i.e. at least a full day) to do as he would have to take the engine apart to get to the part that needs to be replaced. He's located in the provincial town so realistically I'd have to drive the car to him, have him drive me home same day and he'd bring me the car the next day. And of course I'd have to pay a bit extra for his time and gas doing that.  So I haven't gotten around to it yet and just keep adding oil (it's a very small leak so nto hard to do). 

I do plan on doing this once I buy a new car so that the old is in better shape for sale. At that point since I'd have the new car to drive having it at the mechanic for a few days won't matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From someone who has found and fixed hundreds of car oil leaks: It's something and nothing, only a light misting accumulated over many miles. Clean it off with an aerosol can of brake cleaner & monitor it.

If it still does it after 1,000 kms, try just nipping down the rocker cover bolts with 1/4" drive socket set.

• Like 1