car engine oil leak, complicated and expensive fix ?

SePl

hello,

when changing oil they have found a leak, can you tell me if it seems a big problem to you ?

what is the procedure and how much would it cost ? it doesn't seem urgent ?

thank you for your feedback ????

99350.jpg

99349.jpg

2 minutes ago, transam said:

What was the hole used for, does it have a thread or is it just a dodgy casting .....?

What hole ?

Agree with other posters, its a leaky rocker cover gasket, very easy fix.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

What hole ?

Agree with other posters, its a leaky rocker cover gasket, very easy fix.

From the pic it looks like a 'pen point' is poked in a hole. 

OP, is there a hole or are you pointing at oil...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

What was the hole used for, does it have a thread or is it just a dodgy casting .....?

That is just part of the casting, the leak is as others have already said seeping from the rocker cover, replace the gasket or tighten the nuts a bit. Not a major issue,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

That is just part of the casting, the leak is as others have already said seeping from the rocker cover, replace the gasket or tighten the nuts a bit. Not a major issue,

Take it into the dealer. They do these everyday and are less likely to screw up than the guy on the corner whose doing it the first time. In the US I avoided the dealer shop and preferred independent shops that specialized (in Volvo or Mercedes) or I did it myself. They depended on repeat business so were more customer friendly. Here I go to the Toyota dealer and they are great. I can even watch them from the waiting room.

Not an expensive fix.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Formaleins said:

OP, clean the area and take another photo, plus, is that a hole in the casting...?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Take it into the dealer. They do these everyday and are less likely to screw up than the guy on the corner whose doing it the first time. In the US I avoided the dealer shop and preferred independent shops that specialized (in Volvo or Mercedes) or I did it myself. They depended on repeat business so were more customer friendly. Here I go to the Toyota dealer and they are great. I can even watch them from the waiting room.

Not an expensive fix.

I have use several Toyota service places and they all let me stand with the Car as they work on it. That way I can point out what I want them to do. Helps as my Technical Thai is at best rubbish. Give it a go I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Go to a good detailers , and have the engine steam cleaned. A good idea every few years. Check/nip up the cam cover nuts - not too tight - and keep an eye on it. If it still weeps , have the gasket/rubber seal replaced. Maybe 1500 Baht.

• Like 1

To the left of the blue pen last photo their appears to be a recess with a thread where a bolt or nut and washer should be, if thats replaced could help with the leak, but maybe im just not seeing it right.

• Like 1

Don't try to fix this by tightening the bolts whatever you do.

Many of these have spacers under the studs and pull down to a predetermined level when tight.

If you try to tighten the bolts, you'll end up snapping them off and then you are in real trouble.

Reason it leaks is the gasket goes hard and brittle with age.

As suggested above, take it to a reputable repair shop and have new gasket fitted.

Not a big job but clearly you have little knowledge and you could end up breaking something and costing far more than it should.

It does not appear to be a model where the plugs go down through the cover, but if so, then these seals need replacement at the same time.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Don't try to fix this by tightening the bolts whatever you do.

Many of these have spacers under the studs and pull down to a predetermined level when tight.

If you try to tighten the bolts, you'll end up snapping them off and then you are in real trouble.

Reason it leaks is the gasket goes hard and brittle with age.

As suggested above, take it to a reputable repair shop and have new gasket fitted.

Not a big job but clearly you have little knowledge and you could end up breaking something and costing far more than it should.

It does not appear to be a model where the plugs go down through the cover, but if so, then these seals need replacement at the same time.

Some valve covers gaskets require a sealer and some don't. Also as stated there could be seals and/or spacers. Go to the dealer they have the proper procedures. It might cost a small amount more but it should be done correct. Very easy job for trained mechanic.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 3:16 PM, thequietman said:

Old vehicle, so is to be expected. ????

Had the same on my three year old ford ecoscape.apparently a common fault. ford replaced the Rocker cover gasket for 1500 baht

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, worgeordie said:

In the second picture,above and to the right of the pen, the bolt in

the rocker cover seems to have a crack around it...or is it just the picture.

regards worgeordie

Your attention to detail is outstanding sir.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Some valve covers gaskets require a sealer and some don't. Also as stated there could be seals and/or spacers. Go to the dealer they have the proper procedures. It might cost a small amount more but it should be done correct. Very easy job for trained mechanic.

Its not the 1960's and the gasket wont be cork... no sealant required.

Gasket will be rubber and either a bolt(s) have come loose or the rubber has gone brittle.

• Like 1

Thank you to all, I will take a new photo after cleaning the part, but it's not my car so can take a while. Standard gasoline if enough to clean the engine ?

About the hole. I don't know what it is also, other vigo do not have it ?

So I understand that it's just the gasket cover joint that is leaking, and it's not urgent repair. But then, can this joint be changed or something like silicone must be used ? Do you think that any standard garage can do it in 1 hour while i'm waiting ?

Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, SePl said:

Thank you to all, I will take a new photo after cleaning the part, but it's not my car so can take a while. Standard gasoline if enough to clean the engine ?

About the hole. I don't know what it is also, other vigo do not have it ?

So I understand that it's just the gasket cover joint that is leaking, and it's not urgent repair. But then, can this joint be changed or something like silicone must be used ? Do you think that any standard garage can do it in 1 hour while i'm waiting ?

Thanks again.

Maybe If they have a new gasket, it is such a small leak don't panic. This part of the oil system is not pressurized.

Edited by brianthainess