Pattaya: Masks and life jackets! Tourists head to Koh Larn in large numbers

webfact

15 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Hopefully wasnt the 7-11 gal that sprayed sanitizer in customers' eyes!  Oy!!!! Velly Solly Mista..free mama cup!

Didn't see anyone spraying sanitizer but I did see that they usually had a small table with a bottle of it available along with a sign in book.

I wondered about the temp check though as some of them seemed to just be going through the motions and not really looking at the temp. Complacency no doubt.

In an article from a Canadian outlet, a writer tried to suggest that wearing masks everywhere would soon be the "new normal" and I pointed out that was B.S. as people were not going to start wearing masks from birth to death. Eventually they are, everywhere, going to say "**** it" and just stop wearing them altogether.
(Kind of like a lot of people in some countries are already doing.)

I expect that infection (and mortality) rates will soar for awhile, then level off, then start to drop as, eventually, the "herd immunity" kicks in. But people have to realize that "herd immunity" doesn't happen overnight. It can take decades as basically everyone on the planet has to be exposed and then develop the antibodies to fight off the virus. 

And hope that it doesn't start to mutate every year like the Flu and Cold bugs seem to do, requiring a new "Flu" shot every year (or not as not everyone gets the Flu every year and many that do don't have severe reactions to it).

Maybe they'll find a vaccine and this thing will go the way of other deadly diseases like polio and the measles. Still, it will take decades before everyone is inoculated and there will always be that certain select group that won't get inoculated for whatever reason (the "anti-vaxxers" like Jessica Simpson for example). 
Let Darwin take care of them.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 6:29 PM, Justgrazing said:

Take a look at the top pic' .. a number not masked up .. how can this be .. where's our mask cheerleader Y to sally forth with an explanation as to what's occurring here .. 

And you'd need a gasmask to be near the blue Wee bus in the background .. 

I noticed that. Good to know that some are not sheeple.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, webfact said:

Police were on hand to make sure that the virus protocols were being followed by the large number of families making the trip from Bali Hai port.

In addition to mask wearing they ensured that people were donning another kind of protection - life-jackets.

Life jackets

:cheesy:

The only reason the fast ferries to Samui had life jackets on board back in the 90s was because one sank and there were none so people died. We certainly didn't have to wear one.

Never saw enough life jackets on the Larn ferries for the number of passengers, but so many boats around that had one sunk slowly enough all would have been rescued.

The big car ferries to the islands may have had some somewhere, but not obvious- the inflatable rafts certainly would not have inflated, judging by the lack of maintenance.

Perhaps it's changed. Perhaps the authorities now take safety seriously, Perhaps trips to the moon begin tomorrow.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The big car ferries to the islands may have had some somewhere, but not obvious- the inflatable rafts certainly would not have inflated, judging by the lack of maintenance

I doubt the crews ever do any drills for the event of a boat sinking either.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 2:55 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I noticed that. Good to know that some are not sheeple.

Life jackets

:cheesy:

The only reason the fast ferries to Samui had life jackets on board back in the 90s was because one sank and there were none so people died. We certainly didn't have to wear one.

Never saw enough life jackets on the Larn ferries for the number of passengers, but so many boats around that had one sunk slowly enough all would have been rescued.

The big car ferries to the islands may have had some somewhere, but not obvious- the inflatable rafts certainly would not have inflated, judging by the lack of maintenance.

Perhaps it's changed. Perhaps the authorities now take safety seriously, Perhaps trips to the moon begin tomorrow.

That may have been a ferry to Phi Phi that sank, memory is not so good now. Regardless, the fast ferries to Samui didn't have life jackets till after the ferry sank, wherever it was.