Repatriation flights - Thai's do not have to get tested?

22 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Of course they mix foreigners and Thai on same flights. Why wouldn't they? 

My god thats ridiculous if its true.so the covid just ignores thais then in foreign countries ????????????

I understand that no Thai can refuse entry to Thailand, even if sick. If a Thai person shows up with a high fever and coughing and a fit-to-fly certificate,  will they be allowed on the flight because all Thais must be allowed to enter Thailand?

Have there been foreigners that tested negative 72 hours before flight, but positive one week after quarantine that was on a flight with the Thai person that tested positive on arrival?

I’ve heard the tests are very accurate if you test positive, but not sure about the sensitivity about being able to detect during early stages of infection. 

This is the same as the situation flying to Cambodia. 

One news site called it a gamble and it is. But neither country care. The foreigners help ensure sufficient capacity for flights to keep operating and that means their citizens can come home. Foreigners pay for quarantining. It's now a profit centre. IMO anyone who gets on one of those flights needs to be prepared for a dose of virus. They're just flying petri dishes. There's not a good enough reason for me to get on one. 

• Like 1

The 72 hour or the 48 hour tests are a load of rubbish because you have the test then 24 hours before you depart you have a drunken farewell party with many other people there and now you have the virus. No country can refuse entry to any citizen of that country. All that can be done is to isolate all travelers that enter the country which is what Thailand is doing by placing everyone into state quarantine and it is here that they are finding infected cases. The biggest problem is (if you are serious) the foreigners, just look at the stupidity in Australia and America with the arrogant attitude of "you cannot tell me what to do, I have the right to do as I please" and the failing of wearing masks. Melbourne, Australia has recorded 723 new confirmed cases with 13 new deaths in the last 24 hours and that is not from repatriation flights.

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Have flight reservation from LAX to BKK on Korean Aug 30th.  The RT-PCR test within 48hrs (72 is not realistic when having to get to airport early etc...) is impossible right now in Central CA down through Southern CA.  The labs are backlogged.  Even for people in ICU it is taking 48hr minimum from what I'm being told.  I am just hoping by the time it gets closer to 8/30, the delay will have gone down.

If there was an organised federal response to the pandemic, the testing issues could be mitigated. There are labs in areas with lower infection rates with spare capacity. However, full use can only be made of this capacity with a nationwide logistics system which includes rapid transport of samples to be tested to labs that can process them, and timely email notification of results to all relevant parties.

33 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

I’ve heard the tests are very accurate if you test positive, but not sure about the sensitivity about being able to detect during early stages of infection. 

Usually, even the most sensitive tests do not give a positive result until 48 hours, or so, after initial exposure. It can be longer. The swabs are taking samples from a specific location, and there could be an active infection away from that site. There can also be issues with swabbing done incorrectly, or processing by the labs (especially if by inexperienced or overworked technicians) being faulty.

EDIT: By the way, positive tests can occur long after the active infection is over. even more than a month later. This is believed due to RNA fragments that linger even when there is no live virus.

Edited by BritTim

52 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

I understand that no Thai can refuse entry to Thailand, even if sick. If a Thai person shows up with a high fever and coughing and a fit-to-fly certificate,  will they be allowed on the flight because all Thais must be allowed to enter Thailand?

Have there been foreigners that tested negative 72 hours before flight, but positive one week after quarantine that was on a flight with the Thai person that tested positive on arrival?

Of course a Thai national can be refused to get onboard an airplane if he/she is infected by the virus. If they have a high fever and a cough, they won't be allowed onboard. They will probably not pass the screening pre-departure. A fit-to-fly certificate for a Thai is only issued when having no symptoms. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The 72 hour or the 48 hour tests are a load of rubbish because you have the test then 24 hours before you depart you have a drunken farewell party with many other people there and now you have the virus. No country can refuse entry to any citizen of that country. All that can be done is to isolate all travelers that enter the country which is what Thailand is doing by placing everyone into state quarantine and it is here that they are finding infected cases. The biggest problem is (if you are serious) the foreigners, just look at the stupidity in Australia and America with the arrogant attitude of "you cannot tell me what to do, I have the right to do as I please" and the failing of wearing masks. Melbourne, Australia has recorded 723 new confirmed cases with 13 new deaths in the last 24 hours and that is not from repatriation flights.

"No country can refuse entry to any citizen of that country."

Being refused to board an airplane is not the same thing. No one who is obviously infected by the virus will never get onboard an airplane. Coughing while checking in will probably be enough to be removed from the area by force. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Yme said:

One news site called it a gamble and it is. But neither country care. The foreigners help ensure sufficient capacity for flights to keep operating and that means their citizens can come home. Foreigners pay for quarantining. It's now a profit centre. IMO anyone who gets on one of those flights needs to be prepared for a dose of virus. They're just flying petri dishes. There's not a good enough reason for me to get on one. 

Hmm yeah many here try to give suggestions how this whole process could be improved to make more "sense", but This Is Thailand, thus it makes no sense to make sense. Being involved with Thais for long enough, I stopped caring about sense or logic. Just comply and vote with your wallet.

I got my COE yesterday (or, the approval for it), but I'm a little reluctant to return now due to the hysteria. Trying to postpone the flight date by one month ???? Haven't been to Thailand since March, but returning feels something I don't want to do. Things closed, restricted, condo pool not fully open, racism ???? So much better in my country where we never had a big issue with Covid. And I prefer to live in my house with clean air (PM 2.5 = 0), everything just works, no stupidity anywhere. Freedom.

20 hours ago, IraqRon said:

and these are the planes that the Thai govt. expect many of us to fly back "home" in after infected people are on them for hours and hours.   I can't believe that the cabins will be adequately sanitized before a turn around to its origin.  On top of that, are those flights non-stop or have stops in one or more airports along the way?  Yes, I really want to fly to USA and get off in LA or Houston or Chicago, etc. to catch a flight to another city.  Death sentence in my view.

Exactly correct. 

My path home would take me from Bangkok Airport to Taipei, to Los Angeles, to Denver international. 

I wouldn't do it if they gave me a free ticket in first class especially with one or more quarantines mixed into the soup. 

Death is not guaranteed but I'd rather avoid the entire trip. 

I can't take a hard stance on masks, death rate, infection rates, separation distances, etc. ; there are simply too many unknowns. My answer is to simply avoid exposure to the full extent possible and avoid debates with others.

Does it impact my life? Absolutely it does, but I'm not dying to go out these days. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willy333 said:

They don't require a separate test either for Thais. I think this has to do with that they can't refuse their citizens entry. 

I think this is the point that a lot of the posts on this thread seem to ignore. All countries, as far as I'm aware, allow their own people (assuming they hold valid citizenship) to enter their own country.

Just try reversing the scenario for a moment - can you imagine the outcry if the UK (or US, Germany or whoever) were to ban their citizens from returning home when they were stranded in a foreign country where they might or might not be able to get a CoVid-19 test.

If you recall, when the US banned Europeans from flying into the US, they arranged for thousands of US citizens to return home and no test was required. In fact, various reports link the return of untested US citizens and the crowded conditions they experienced at US airports on arrival, to a surge in coronavirus cases.

1 hour ago, Yme said:

Thai people also pays for the 14 days quarantine, not only foreigners. If having no money they can stay in state own facilities for free. 

7 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think this is the point that a lot of the posts on this thread seem to ignore. All countries, as far as I'm aware, allow their own people (assuming they hold valid citizenship) to enter their own country.

Just try reversing the scenario for a moment - can you imagine the outcry if the UK (or US, Germany or whoever) were to ban their citizens from returning home when they were stranded in a foreign country where they might or might not be able to get a CoVid-19 test.

If you recall, when the US banned Europeans from flying into the US, they arranged for thousands of US citizens to return home and no test was required. In fact, various reports link the return of untested US citizens and the crowded conditions they experienced at US airports on arrival, to a surge in coronavirus cases.

Airlines always have the right to refuse sick people getting onboard the plane. Even on repatriation flights. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 6:33 AM, bkk6060 said:

You are correct from my understanding the Thais are not tested prior to the flights.

But, are foreigners also on these flights?  Not sure I have seen confirmation of that information.

Well I came back on saturday with a repatriation flight, almost all foreigners (including myself) were pushed to Business class (was told there was only seats available in Business), I saw a family with 2 kids going to economy as well as a couple, that's all for foreigners, there was 1 thai lady in business that accompanied her boyfriend.

I did hear some heavy coughing back in economy class... now there's not only covid in life... But this explains how some thai returnees test positive on day #12 of quarantine (second test) : they got infected during the flight.

29 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

Hmm yeah many here try to give suggestions how this whole process could be improved to make more "sense", but This Is Thailand, thus it makes no sense to make sense. Being involved with Thais for long enough, I stopped caring about sense or logic. Just comply and vote with your wallet.

I got my COE yesterday (or, the approval for it), but I'm a little reluctant to return now due to the hysteria. Trying to postpone the flight date by one month ???? Haven't been to Thailand since March, but returning feels something I don't want to do. Things closed, restricted, condo pool not fully open, racism ???? So much better in my country where we never had a big issue with Covid. And I prefer to live in my house with clean air (PM 2.5 = 0), everything just works, no stupidity anywhere. Freedom.

Well, I'm not sure the situation will be any better in 1 or even in 3 months. According to what I am told (I'll see for myself when I'm out of quarantine) virtually all is open, excepts many hotels that stay closed (if they open they lose social security benefit for their employees, and they need to have at least 20-25% occupancy to break even). 

About the racism, I won't deny it's there as it's always been, paranoia about the virus is a different story (and paranoia about doing anything that could put any blame on you). Now everybody have been very pleasant and polite at my arrival at the airport (there was over a hundred of airport staff/immigration/security officers), the transport from airport to the hotel as well, the hotel staff, the nurse... everybody have treated me very respectfully and politely. 

Havent flight to Thailand now and i'm not sure about what airline company ask from you but if not ask all papers! Then we all have miss understand thit covid test! Airline company not need your covid test its Thai coverment whitch need that! If so that test is useless! If same plane have people who not stay on Thailand , who continue in other destination.To coundry who don't need covid test! There can be many infected people on plane! Who only make transit flight! Still have flights out from Thailand whitch have come here empty.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Thai people also pays for the 14 days quarantine, not only foreigners. If having no money they can stay in state own facilities for free. 

Let me correct you, it's exactly the opposite way

Thai people stay in state own facilities for free

if they have money and if they want pay for it, they can up grade

for a better accomodation in a private quarantine hotel.

The foreigners on the other hand have no choice, they pay for the private hotel.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

The foreigners on the other hand have no choice, they pay for the private hotel.

I can confirm that. My wife got to state quarantine 2 weeks ago and did not have to pay anything. The food was lousy though.

• Like 1

just for clarification 2 days ago there was a repatriation flight Bangkok the seats was fully booked they put many countries together in flight via Singapore. thai Airways is not able to make a flight II charters Singapore Airlines the price of the ticket was much more expensive than regular flights economy

Corona test is necessary on this flight only accepted from State Hospital or the test of the state at the airport cost fifteen US Dollar

This is the case for people leaving from this country. Fit to fly certificate was not necessary and was not issued by any state hospital

If the other passengers from other country was tested I cannot tell and you and whocan control African countries ( many passenger come from Egypt and was brought by other airplane to connect to the repatriation flight)

To clarify they are about  30 foreigner on board. But for sure not tourists married people or other

Only thinking who in the hell would fly to as Tourist to Thailand under this conditions they must be nuts in the head and the fifteen day of Quarantaene is a hell and the first class food 

IMG-20200730-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200730-WA0000.jpg

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

I can confirm that. My wife got to state quarantine 2 weeks ago and did not have to pay anything. The food was lousy though.

Quoting myself, but I asked my wife if she wants to "upgrade" to ASQ hotels, but she said that makes no sense. She cannot use the facilities, in the end it's just another hotel room. Now that she has been to state quarantine for 2 weeks, I realize that when I choose the ASQ hotel, I will select a cheap one. It makes no sense to select an expensive one - the biggest benefit is to have their "softer pillows" etc. Not worth paying for, especially since she said they are not allowed out of their rooms. All I need is a fast internet to be able to work 15 days in a row. Plus I will spice up a bottle of coke so I can have a drink or two in the hotel on a few evenings ????

6 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

Quoting myself, but I asked my wife if she wants to "upgrade" to ASQ hotels, but she said that makes no sense. She cannot use the facilities, in the end it's just another hotel room. Now that she has been to state quarantine for 2 weeks, I realize that when I choose the ASQ hotel, I will select a cheap one. It makes no sense to select an expensive one - the biggest benefit is to have their "softer pillows" etc. Not worth paying for, especially since she said they are not allowed out of their rooms. All I need is a fast internet to be able to work 15 days in a row. Plus I will spice up a bottle of coke so I can have a drink or two in the hotel on a few evenings ????

A few of the cheaper options on the ASQ-list offers more than just 3 meals a day locked up in a room for 14 days. After I think about 8 days (after the second test) you can use the facilities in the hotel. If your wife choosed a state facility instead of a hotel, then she must have understood that the service incl food wouldn't be that good. 

26 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

I think the biggest benefit of the ASQ’s over SQ is the standard of food etc.

IMO the standard of all of the ASQ’s being offered is quite reasonable, although there were a couple I had a preference to avoid because they either looked a little old and musty or had interior windows facing a courtyard which offered little privacy. 

With regards to drinking ’spicing up a bottle of coke’ - Alcohol is not permitted in ASQ, no one can bring you alcohol and the ASQ staff cannot buy it from 7-11 for you (they have seemed quite strict on this). That said, my baggage was not checked and I did bring a bottle of wine. So, if you pick up a bottle of duty free, just put it inside your baggage before leaving the airport. 

Just wonder which country required their citizens to test for Covid-19 before being repatriated?

As far as I understand, Malaysia and Singapore are same like Thailand for their return citizens.

No need Covid-19 test before return flight but all need compulsory 14 days quarantine and follow up test after arrived.

Agreed, Thailand had more stringent requirements for arrival foreigners.

But whoever think it is worth to fulfil all requirements and the risk of taking the flight,  will try to come back.

Perhaps for their family or work or a safer place at this moment... ????

5 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

Just wonder which country required their citizens to test for Covid-19 before being repatriated?

As far as I understand, Malaysia and Singapore are same like Thailand for their return citizens.

No need Covid-19 test before return flight but all need compulsory 14 days quarantine and follow up test after arrived.

Agreed, Thailand had more stringent requirements for arrival foreigners.

But whoever think it is worth to fulfil all requirements and the risk of taking the flight,  will try to come back.

Perhaps for their family or work or a safer place at this moment... ????

I think Thai nationals needs a fit-to-fly certificate. Meaning they have no symptoms. Every airline have the right to stop an obviously sick person from getting on the airplane. 

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I think Thai nationals needs a fit-to-fly certificate. Meaning they have no symptoms. Every airline have the right to stop an obviously sick person from getting on the airplane. 

The fit-to-fly certificate mean nothing concerning the covid19

obviously the Thai government made the choice to allow all the Thai citizens

to return, sick or not, putting at risk the plane crew and all the others passengers.

It's probably because they know most of the Thais stranded abroad are poor workers

unable to pay the costs in the foreign hospitals. 

It's the same reason why thai people are in ecomomy class with relatively cheap tickets

the repatriation flight being already entirely paid by the foreigners in the business class.

All is about money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Repatriating Thais have been mostly going to Ambassador hotel either in Bangkok or Jomtien, depending on their arrival hotel, this is paid for by the State, the option to upgrade has only been available since 1st July and the introduction of the ASQ locations.

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Repatriating Thais have been mostly going to Ambassador hotel either in Bangkok or Jomtien, depending on their arrival hotel, this is paid for by the State, the option to upgrade has only been available since 1st July and the introduction of the ASQ locations.

The official site shows over 30 hotels "approved" for state quarantine, including the two you mention with 380 and 362 rooms respectively.  I reckon they mostly have been going elsewhere given the amount that have returned. ????

19 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Ok thank you for your precision, Ambassador are not owned by the state but it's a 30 year old hotel and that doesn't change the meaning of my post. 

We are today the 30 july, so i write about a situation existing at the moment

Edited by kingofthemountain

It makes no sense mixing an already infected man with the other passengers, this is really absurd.

I dont care they are Thai or foreigners, it is absurd. 

You start with one and end up in one flight with a 100?

Amazing, guess they want new test persons in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

The fit-to-fly certificate mean nothing concerning the covid19

obviously the Thai government made the choice to allow all the Thai citizens

to return, sick or not, putting at risk the plane crew and all the others passengers.

It's probably because they know most of the Thais stranded abroad are poor workers

unable to pay the costs in the foreign hospitals. 

It's the same reason why thai people are in ecomomy class with relatively cheap tickets

the repatriation flight being already entirely paid by the foreigners in the business class.

All is about money

The first groups of poor patriated workers didn't even stay in hotels in Jomtien. They were taken to the military base in Sattahip in Rayong, south of Chonburi. I think they would have been happy at the 30 year old Ambassador Hotel.