Finding solutions for those with family ties here.

Finding solutions for those with family ties here but have to leave the country.  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have used up my 30 day and 60 day extension and am now on amnesty stay. My wife and kids are Thai, been here 20 yrs and nowhere to go, this is home for me. Short story, I have to leave Thailand at the end of September. I started another thread explaining my last trip to immigration 'Unsuccessful trip to CW today for a Non O' and post 40 gives more info on myself.

I have been advised by some Thai friends that I should take my plight to government house as my trip to immigration with current rules in place has been fruitless. The letter asked in the poll would have more details including the unwarranted need to separate my family as well as the burden it brings to us.

There are some in a similar situation not wanting to leave Thailand as they have no need to. I would like to get a broader view and all in a similar situation or have indepth insight to participate and share their opinion. Question 1 and 3 open to all, only question 2 is specific to those directly affected and involves personal participation. If you live in a different province, you can turn up at some local office. The idea is for a collective voice. If it is a group effort, there will be an additional letter documenting this and will have more legs. Of course if all turns up at head office in Bangkok that is best.

Sorry I left out retirees and others but this is can be included for all as many have their own reasons for being here.

Thank you.

"I have used up my 30 day and 60 day extension and am now on amnesty stay."

Why did you use up your extensions?

When did you use your 30 days extension? Before the first "amnesty" which started March 26?

Was the 30 days extension based on a letter from your embassy? 

38 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Seems strange you have been here for 20 some years and still using VISA and short xtensions. WHY are you not on yearly extensions and have sorted out your life. What is making your life so different from mine tht have 1 yearly retirement extensions now for the last 12 years??????

glegolo

I was previously on yearly spouse O extensions (been doing that for over 10 yrs back to back) until a couple of years ago when an overseas job offer forced me to let the visa lapse. Even the immigration officer at CW said 'No problem, when work is finished you can apply for the spouse O again'. I had planned to get back on the Spouse O when my work was scheduled to stop this year. Unfortunately, Covid hit and my plans including work came to an abrupt halt. 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"I have used up my 30 day and 60 day extension and am now on amnesty stay."

Why did you use up your extensions?

When did you use your 30 days extension? Before the first "amnesty" which started March 26?

Was the 30 days extension based on a letter from your embassy? 

My last entry into the kingdom was December 2019. I used the 30 and 60 day extensions which were valid until April this year. Reason for 30 day extension was my project was delayed a little and i didn't need to be there. 60 day extension was fear of flying as things got heated up with the covid news(good/ lucky decision on my part or else I'd be stuck outside of the country) . Soon after we stopped flights and I began to prepare (source funds) to apply for a conversion visa. Unfortunately I misunderstood the requirements (thought the 400k needed to be in the bank for 2 months and that I could apply when under amnesty visa). When I went in to apply in June after funds were in for 2 months, CW said I wasn't able to apply as I was on the amnesty visa. Only can apply while on 'valid' visa.

12 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

My last entry into the kingdom was December 2019. I used the 30 and 60 day extensions which were valid until April this year. Reason for 30 day extension was my project was delayed a little and i didn't need to be there. 60 day extension was fear of flying as things got heated up with the covid news(good/ lucky decision on my part or else I'd be stuck outside of the country) . Soon after we stopped flights and I began to prepare (source funds) to apply for a conversion visa. Unfortunately I misunderstood the requirements (thought the 400k needed to be in the bank for 2 months and that I could apply when under amnesty visa). When I went in to apply in June after funds were in for 2 months, CW said I wasn't able to apply as I was on the amnesty visa. Only can apply while on 'valid' visa.

You should have done the 1 year extension after 30 days into your 60 days extension. Maybe you didn't have the 400k at the time.

It's definitely possible to convert the visa, or get a one year extension, while under the amnesty. Certain immigration offices are just extorting people, they tell you it's not possible because they want you to use an agent so that they can get a backhander.

You can either use an agent, or you could temporarily move to another province where the immigration office doesn't extort you and lets you apply.

Alternatively you could try to escalate it through the immigration hotline 1178 or the government hotline 1111, but i don't know how the chances are.

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's definitely possible to convert the visa, or get a one year extension, while under the amnesty. Certain immigration offices are just extorting people, they tell you it's not possible because they want you to use an agent so that they can get a backhander.

You can either use an agent, or you could temporarily move to another province where the immigration office doesn't extort you and lets you apply.

Alternatively you could try to escalate it through the immigration hotline 1178 or the government hotline 1111, but i don't know how the chances are.

"It's definitely possible to convert the visa, or get a one year extension, while under the amnesty. Certain immigration offices are just extorting people, they tell you it's not possible because they want you to use an agent so that they can get a backhander."

That's not entirely correct. At some immigration offices they don't consider the automatic extension a normal extension. That doesn't mean they're doing something wrong,just because it's possible in other offices. But, it would of course be better if immigration HQ in BKK could tell them what's the correct way or give some leeway. On the other hand, there are probably loads of people that could have done their extensions or conversions when they were supposed to do it instead of waiting because of the "amnesty". 

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That's not entirely correct. At some immigration offices they don't consider the automatic extension a normal extension. That doesn't mean they're doing something wrong,just because it's possible in other offices.

When using an agent they suddenly change their opinion and consider the automatic extension a normal extension, surprising isn't it? I guess the agents just have the right arguments

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

I started another thread explaining my last trip to immigration 'Unsuccessful trip to CW today for a Non O' and post 40 gives more info on myself.

It would probably have been helpful if you had included a link to that particular thread in this one, instead of expecting us to hunt it down ourselves (I gave up after an unsuccessful quick trawl through this forum until the end of the third page).

Anyway, based solely on your comments in this particular thread I do have to say that I find it puzzling that CW weren't apparently prepared to entertain a non-O conversion in your case, which should then have enabled you to hit the annual extension of stay trail once again. But maybe all is revealed in the previous thread?

Edited by OJAS

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

It would probably have been helpful if you had included a link to that particular thread in this one, instead of expecting us to hunt it down ourselves (I gave up after an unsuccessful quick trawl through this forum until the end of the third page).

yes, you're right, I should have, here it is.

How do I edit the first post to include this? which button to click?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I'm not sure how far a telephone call will go. That's why I think an actual show up at some government office will be taken more seriously. But just say we made a call, will they assign an officer to you or just take the call and file it somewhere? Any real follow up on this?

8 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

How do I edit the first post to include this? which button to click?

The edit button on my original post is missing, can a moderator pls add the link above to it? tks.

27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Anyway, based solely on your comments in this particular thread I do have to say that I find it puzzling that CW weren't apparently prepared to entertain a non-O conversion in your case, which should then have enabled you to hit the annual extension of stay trail once again. But maybe all is revealed in the previous thread?

The reason given by the officer is because I had already used the 30 and 60 day extension and was on the amnesty visa when I applied. It does say on the form I need to have at least 14 days left n my visa before applying. I assumed I could do this whilst on the amnesty visa.

The other reason not given I suspect is because they want to force people in my situation to use an agent.

Just now, bkkexplorer said:

The other reason not given I suspect is because they want to force people in my situation to use an agent.

Submit to that force. Use an agent. Win some, lose some. Ain't no shame in this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Submit to that force. Use an agent. Win some, lose some. Ain't no shame in this.

I have done everything as proper as I could, and as a father also teach my kids to fight injustices. Submitting is an option; but for now am wanting or checking options/ opinions discussed in this thread.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So how have you been here 20 years.

Which method have you used. 

I first came to Thailand after being offered a job in the late 90's. The company did paperwork for a work permit and visa tied to that. After I got married I changed my visa to a spouse 'O' and kept that going til about 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

teach my kids to fight injustices

No disrespect. But I would also teach them to be pragmatic and choose their battles. Do you really think a poll on TV will lead to a solution?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

I first came to Thailand after being offered a job in the late 90's. The company did paperwork for a work permit and visa tied to that. After I got married I changed my visa to a spouse 'O' and kept that going til about 2 years ago.

So what visa or visa exempt do you obtain over last couple of years

43 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

I'm not sure how far a telephone call will go. That's why I think an actual show up at some government office will be taken more seriously. But just say we made a call, will they assign an officer to you or just take the call and file it somewhere? Any real follow up on this?

They will not handle your extension on the phone, you would still have to confront an IO at CW.

At first you would call the immigration hotline 1178, and ask them if you can do what you want to do:

They answer "yes": Back to CW, try to apply for it. In case you get denied again, call 1178 while you are at CW, ask again if it's possible, if they confirm it ask the IO at the hotline to talk with the IO at CW. Maybe the IO in CW will now accept your application.

They answer "no": Call 1111, explain that you were denied to hand in your application, but in your opinion it should be possible.

If 1111 tells you that it's possible to apply, ask them how to proceed (maybe similar to above, have them talk with the IO at CW).

In case 1111 would tell you "no" (i highly doubt this would happen), then there is not much you can do about it, besides using an agent or another immigration office.

• Thanks 1

Topic title:

Comment:

The solution has always been there, ie the one-year extension of stay for living with one's spouse (marriage extension) or one's child (parent extension) of Thai nationality.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Topic title:

Comment:

The solution has always been there, ie the one-year extension of stay for living with one's spouse (marriage extension) or one's child (parent extension) of Thai nationality.

Or based on retirement (if over 50).

Many opt for this due to home visits and other nonsense requirements.

2 hours ago, Why Me said:

No disrespect. But I would also teach them to be pragmatic and choose their battles. Do you really think a poll on TV will lead to a solution?

None taken, was hoping the poll would lead to real instances where there's a collective voice. I was told this would be more effective if actually turning up at government house. Yes, choosing your battles is wise. In my case I'm not ruling out the paperbag option mentioned.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Topic title:

Comment:

ok, maybe the title is not correct,.. but the case in hand is different to the norm.

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Or based on retirement (if over 50).

Many opt for this due to home visits and other nonsense requirements.

I'm under 50.

hi,

al in same situation, having a 9 month old baby. i came in thailand with a  tourist visa followed by border run and visit family extension. all these time i gathered all the document needed for a support my dependent child ( judgment from court takes lots of time). i finaly get everything but i cant apply for a non o visa without leaving the country.

i been to CW twice since amnesty (last visit 3 dats ago) they say they cant help me.

My guess is if many people are having same problem they will ease the process.

if i go back home , not sure how long i ll be away from my family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

Thanks for this. Having now (re-)read that thread in conjunction with this one, I can now fully grasp the invidious situation in which you now find yourself. I am afraid that I have no specific advice to offer you beyond that which others have already suggested in both threads - except to urge caution on your part if you were minded to go down the agent "quick fix" route. There is IMHO a risk that this might come back to bite you in the derriere some time down the line should the bigwigs in the Immigration Bureau ever decide to mount a shakedown of the CW office (just as has happened at Nonthaburi recently) to weed out bent IO's and complicit agents. The consequences could be dire for not only said bent IO's and complicit agents but also those non-immigrants who have availed themselves of their "services".

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I completely understand your situation and it's one I could find myself in although I'm thankful, for now, I'm on the yearly marriage extension, so it's "business as usual" for me. The issue is that they have rules piled on top of rules with little room to give. When I started living here, that 400k came with no caveats; you just need 400k in the bank in your name. Then came the 2 month seasoning rule which can mean a while host of headaches even for people who don't intend to game the system. Throw in the pandemic and the unstable employment situation, anyone could be caught out.

• Like 1