Travel agent predicts tourists will return as soon as Covid-19 ends

webfact

18 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

Yes, sure, but why enforce people (no... farang only, because Laos, Myanmar and Cambodgian people will not) to stay in a very high standing hotel for 2 weeks ? Before they were authorized to stay at there own home 2 weeks and it was perfect like that.

Why talk about foreigner as "tourists" all the time, what ever they do in Thailand ?

As far as I know there are also relative cheap quarantine options available.

The problem with "stay at home" is that many people don't follow the rules. And that is a risk not only for their family but everybody. So for Thailand it makes a lot of sense to quarantine everybody to avoid mass infections and even higher economical cost.

Personally I work here including the required business visa. That makes me a foreigner but not a tourist. Tourists are the people with tourist visas.

• Like 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

And that and many other problems are obviously the reasons why the UK and other countries make it difficult for Thais and many other nationalities to go there.

I guess if Thais would make it as difficult for foreigners to come here like the UK makes it for Thai people then there would be a lot less visitors. Thailand wants tourists and their money so they only put up a few rules to make sure the tax payers profit from the visitors and don't have to pay for them. 

You do have a point, a lot has changed in the UK in the 14 years I have lived in Thailand, but without going in to all the details, insurance companies are very unfair in how they operate, there is a big difference in insurance for short stay tourists and expats.

If insurance companies would give a fair deal to expats instead of taking a lot of money from them over the years and then dropping them when they reach a certain age, more people would get health insurance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

You do have a point, a lot has changed in the UK in the 14 years I have lived in Thailand, but without going in to all the details, insurance companies are very unfair in how they operate, there is a big difference in insurance for short stay tourists and expats.

If insurance companies would give a fair deal to expats instead of taking a lot of money from them over the years and then dropping them when they reach a certain age, more people would get health insurance.

I don't think you are right. I worked in the heath insurance business some time ago for a couple of years.

There are huge differences between the companies. And there is a lot of competition.

Short time travel insurances only cover emergency treatments. If an expensive operation is necessary then these insurances will try to get the patient back to their home country ASAP. Because then the travel insurance does not pay anymore.

Another example are dental problems. If travel insurances pay it at all then often (all the time?) they pay only for a cheap fix which is good enough for a month. And then the patient can get the expensive treatment back home.

And about the age: At least for some private insurances in some countries: If customers are long time customers (i.e. they have the same private insurance since 20 years) then those customers pay more when they are older but not extreme amounts. If someone tries to get into a good private insurance at high age the first time then it will always be expensive. And that makes sense because such a customer costs in average a lot more than a younger customer.

22 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Yeah and pigs will fly as long as the stupid rules are kept in place to allow travel into Thailand. I am 73 and $100,000 of health insurance would cost 124,000 baht plus 30,000 baht minimum for 2 weeks of compulsory quarantine before I can even start my holiday and another 2 weeks of quarantine assuming that I returned to the UK. 

As I read it, the article said »...once the Covid-19 crisis is resolved.«

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No question some tourists will return. But, not alot. Not for a long time. The numbers will remain low well into 2021. Optimistic projections are only that. 

Covid is a big factor. But, it is only one factor. Quality tourism was already declining for a dozen good reasons, long before Covid. Nobody in this inept administration wants to talk about that. 

Do we have a definition of "Quality tourism"..?

Sorry it is not going to end as this weeks events in Europe show. Greater Manchester back into restrictions, people quarantined from Spain as some regional up-spikes again,  Luxembourg quarantined, upsurge in Eastern Europe, American sun states like Florida and California absolutely devastated -  What will have to happen is everyone has to live with restrictions, wear masks, avoid overcrowding in small spaces and watch the younger bar going groups who after a few drinks forget it. Thailand is lucky, most people can drink , eat , socialize outside and tourism and places needs to adapt. 

Thailand needs to open up & get tourists back or just let stranded people return - its a massive country not just a few popular hot spots  for example that long stretch of  coast line south of Hua Hin down towards Prachupa Kiri Khan, Pranburi  and Chumpon mile after mile of quiet white beeches and little coastal places. Thailand needs to appeal to Europeans once we go into colder weather but Thais can offer sunshine - yes Covid exits in hot countries but its usually in poor/overcrowded areas like India or Brazil where it hit UK and US was inside , overcrowded and cold slaughter houses or crowded workshops etc. 

Edited by peter48

3 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Why do these uneducated people not do the simple thing like reading the internation press BEFORE writing fake news, that only makes the public deride what they spout.  Can only be LOS!

These are paid articles usually commissioned by international media firms. I once answered an ad and essentially they wanted me to localize existing travel content. Articles they had commissioned for country X ..conversation to country Y. It's all claptrap..I decline Ned because it was literally penuts in compensation

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The soldiers government will need to do everything that is mentioned on #2 before any tourists comes to Thailand.

Does any Thaivisa member think that all the nonsense including the $100.000 insurance farce will continue once the virus is over or controlled?

If the government thinks that tourists will return with all these hurdles in place to enter the country they are deluded

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

There will be no return to business as usual. Not just for Thailand. Mass tourism as we where used to it will be a thing of the past. On it's own not a bad thing when looked at it from an environmental point of view. Flying will become more expensive and reaching destinations more difficult. As far as Thailand is concerned, they might try to be more accommodating for long term residents instead of pursuing the present unfriendly policies. In each case as things stand it's more like reading a crystal ball and any predictions are just as unreliable as the experts opinions on Covid 19.

Disagree - firstly there is 'demand and supply' and middle to high income people want holidays and places like Spain & Thailand can supply what people want. Covid is not going to stop that and as I said above Thailand offers safe space, outside recreation, eating outside  many beaches etc - although I agree that will appeal to better incomes,  north European families ( while Brexit will hit Brits £ hard in pocket)   and possibly not the Pattaya crowd  etc . Greece knows how to attract people with bars on beaches, music etc but Thailand is a bit slow at times to adapt. It's baht rate for most Europeans has been far too high. Vietnam is clearly doing things right. 

Also vaccinations are coming and the Oxford University group have shown good results to date. Once Vaccinations are up and running it could be back to the old days although I still feel Thailand needs get back to reinvigorate its tourism which was suffering before Covid19 struck 

Edited by peter48
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

As soon as quite possibly never then. There's no guarantee that the coronavirus will be eradicated completely anytime soon (or ever).

Could be like the Normal Flu ,,, Keep on keeping on coming back.

On 7/31/2020 at 2:47 PM, JusticeGB said:

Yeah and pigs will fly as long as the stupid rules are kept in place to allow travel into Thailand. I am 73 and $100,000 of health insurance would cost 124,000 baht plus 30,000 baht minimum for 2 weeks of compulsory quarantine before I can even start my holiday and another 2 weeks of quarantine assuming that I returned to the UK. 

At 73 years old you and everyone else should have already had that amount insurance as minimum for many years. It's foreigners like you that make it difficult for people like me to get back to our homes in Thailand. That would cost you 10 times more in most other countries. I understand why they don't want people like you back. Hell...i don't either.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Simoneaux said:

At 73 years old you and everyone else should have already had that amount insurance as minimum for many years. It's foreigners like you that make it difficult for people like me to get back to our homes in Thailand. That would cost you 10 times more in most other countries. I understand why they don't want people like you back. Hell...i don't either.

If people felt they were good health and wanted to take a chance at self-insuring, then having a locked account with a minimum 500,000 baht for possible medical care, is a possible alternative. Although this would not be enough to cover all illnesses, it should cover most life-threatening illnesses until well enough to travel home. (We are guests here)

But having no medical insurance and no savings could very likely cost the Thai government a lot of money for a non-Thai citizen. 
Even though my family history has no history of heart attacks or cancer, I do not feel comfortable self-insuring.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:47 PM, JusticeGB said:

Army will be voted out next election. But the army Senate made up of crooks will remain 

People keep saying but they don't listen because they don't want to hear; it will take a widely distributed vaccine to get back to "normal", though normal will never be what it was.

NOTHING Thailand can do or promise will change that.

Edited by DefaultName

everytime i hear a statement from someone in the thai tourism industry its like they want this to carry on as long as possible they're encouraging the government to carry on, any other country the tourism industry would be telling their government to open up. if you dont like us i suggest another career where you don't have to deal with tourists....oh actually on 2nd thoughts you will be looking for another job soon    som nom nah

23 hours ago, Brunolem said:

What does it mean exactly that covid 19 ends?

Zero new case worldwide?

I think that is a fair question.  When there is an effective vaccine available then there will be some easing of restrictions but I think it will be years before we end up with "normal" and then it will be a new normal.

In some countries the figures are rising, Mexico being the latest to show a massive increase.  There is a surge in Spain again and it looks like France has more cases in certain areas.  Johnson has put the brakes on the easing in the UK because of spikes in the north.

All this makes kick starting the economy harder and the cost of that will last for a generation or two, or so they say. 

• Thanks 1