What are my rights if wife tries to get me out of the house

nicelee808

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

To a point, yes, but foreigners cant own land so how do you split an asset that you cant own in the first place.

I thought you were forced to liquidate the property or have the wife buy you out of the 50% share.

Anyways that's depressing. So if I have 100k USD today and I get married tomorrow, then divorced next year, now I have 50k USD? This doesn't sound like a very appealing contract to me.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Guess I did some research before I posted, and didn't respond out of anger or personal experiences where others may have done their partners wrong.

Thats enough of the research and facts, this is Thaivsa, its bar-stool wisdom, hearsay and wild speculation. "A bargirl stole my kidney" etc.

• Haha 1

Just now, genericptr said:

I thought you were forced to liquidate the property or have the wife buy you out of the 50% share.

Anyways that's depressing. So if I have 100k USD today and I get married tomorrow, then divorced next year, now I have 50k USD? This doesn't sound like a very appealing contract to me.

Anything you had before a marriage is yours. That's the law most everywhere. Anything accrued after the marriage is considered community property and will be divided equally. If someone gets the children primary custody, and the other gets visitation, court ordered support may be added. You can use a mediator and decide who gets what without a courts decision. If you can't decide, you go to court and let them decide, and that's not always a good idea as you might be dealing with a prejudiced judge who favors either men, women or those of his own nationality. Every court has laws they abide by, and a good lawyer knows these laws.

4 minutes ago, genericptr said:

LOL........ that's marriage for you................????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The law specifies that in case of doubt, whether a property or debt is personal or marital, it will be considered marital (section 1474) and therefore subject to an equal division.

It sounds like OP could have made a legal document regarding the house ownership stating it WAS paid for by him? Maybe then he could get his money back in some large percent. Either way he would have to move out, but I would think that would be a relief.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Before Britman beats me to it...Id quote him as saying "thats why its always better to rent"....

My married buddies have warned me as well as Im the last bachelor amongst them.....lucky I guess...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Anything you had before a marriage is yours.

It's still painful to think 50% of every hour you work henceforth now belongs to the wife. This sounds like an extortion racket or something. No wonder marriage rates are plummeting.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, genericptr said:

The wife can make it difficult to sell at a decent price, or at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

It sounds like OP could have made a legal document regarding the house ownership stating it WAS paid for by him? Maybe then he could get his money back in some large percent. Either way he would have to move out, but I would think that would be a relief.

If a Thai wife acquires land etc during a marriage, the foreign husband is required to sign a document at the land office actually stating the opposite, no claims on the property etc.

Its comes down to whether divorce law trumps property law.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Land acquired during marriage has its own set of rules, not always the usual 50% share.

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It's her house, she can sell it beneath your feet, borrow on it or have you evicted...hard but that's how it is...

Unless your name is on the chanote (as with a Usufruct or lease) then she is free to do what she wants.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Do not believe everything a lawyer tells you. This is not the west where you have laws and concrete rules that the court must follow ......  The problem in Thailand is there is not sufficient or an appropriate mechanism that is concrete following a marriage or partner breakup. Communication between judge and lawyers and you are not clear ... even with a translator,  it's just wishy washy talk and the judge does not look outside the box ....  he will issue judgement the same as he did at last weeks farang breakup, and the week before and so on. 

The lawyer will not argue or make suggestion or do anything that will help ....  he will follow his law book back in the office same as he's done for the last 100 farang cases.

The problem with lawyers in Thailand is that they are reluctant to disagree with the judge and ask for a different or more justifiable outcome for their client .... they tend to not want to argue with the judge and that means the judge will disclose his decision with minimal resistance which is wrong.  imo 

Lawyers tell you want you want to hear, for a retainer if 50k, 100k, 150k.....even legal contracts, divorce agreements are hard to enforce....time consuming, expensive and bad for health...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's why I always say never go to live near the family.

My girlfriends mom and brother died, she hates her sister and her dad is 75 and not long for this world. That leaves basically nobody. Just the way I like it. ????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nicelee808 said:

Yeah it's nuts. Thought we were fine for years. But then started showing her true self

Thailand .   Number 1 again !  (how long can a woman last before her true self emerges)

The thing with relationships is :  the percentage that exist which have a formula ( 2 personalities,

2 hearts,  2 sexual appetites and preferences,  character i.e honesty and ethics ,  lifestyle preferences, etc etc etc).......... well, the percentage that will remain compatible and happy to stay in an exclusive

partnership for YEARS is  IMO   much lower than even the so-called 50% divorce rate.   

How many of you reading this are at this moment questioning just what the heck you got yourself into?

If your "partner" is not nearby...... raise your hand      ????

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

Lawyers tell you want you want to hear, for a retainer if 50k, 100k, 150k.....even legal contracts, divorce agreements are hard to enforce....time consuming, expensive and bad for health...

the big problem with lawyers........  is that they can't be trusted.   then you have to get another lawyer

to fight the first lawyer.   turns out they're related     555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

You sure are living in fantasy land, division of marital property, yes in a perfect world maybe, but maybe you have not noticed, we dont live in a perfect world.

What should happen, and what actually happens is not the same thing.

No, I live here, and here, as in all countries that have laws on the book, they have to abide by those laws. A "good" lawyer is hired to fight for you, to know the laws of the country he is living in, and to make sure the court abides by them. Again, you can't go by what happened to you and a few others personally, because we don't know you're particular situation. Maybe you cheated, abused or hurt the wife in some way, and that was held against you when you went to court. Not appearing in court makes you look like you don't care of the outcome, and they will judge accordingly.  A court makes their decision based on facts, not assumptions. If you look at their own laws, as I posted, you will see that this is something that is on their books, and something they are legally bound to. If the court makes a stupid decision, you can appeal it, and expose them for wrongdoing, just as in other countries. Don't assume what happened to you will happen to anyone else. Your circle might include a few others that have told you what happened to them in court. Most people won't tell you the full truth because they don't want to be embarrassed. The laws here state what I posted. Anything you had before marriage is yours. Same for her. Anything you accrue after the divorce is community property, and subject to a 50/50 split. If you paid for everything in the house and can prove it by bills, statements and money coming in, that's your house also, and if the court decides that you have to sell it, which could take years or forever, you can stay in it She can also. If there are kids involved, that's when you need to fight, because the stability of the kids is most important in their eyes. If they see you as the provider, who paid for everything, while the wife sits back and does nothing but complain, she is entitled to half anyway, but you can stay in the house if they believe you are the more stable of the two, and the kids need a place to live, and bouncing around from one place to another isn't stability. Taking the kids out of their home, schools, and a source of income isn't in their best interests. getting a mediator first, which is what courts do here, is a way to work out an arrangement that works for everyone involved. If you can't agree, you take it to court and let them decide, which isn't always what you want but again, what the kids need. A judge can't break the countries own laws. I would like to see where a foreigner that was good to his wife and provided everything lost everything. I don't think it will happen unless there were underlying issues. If a house was paid for by the wife, or half, she can get the house, and the rest of the accrued property will be divided accordingly That's the case most everywhere else. A father (legal) will always get visitation, or custody, unless he hurt the children in some way. The woman usually gets primary custody here because they haven't understood that it's in the best interests of the children to find out where the best place is, and not a gender thing. I got custody of all four of my children in America because I was the only stable parent they had, and my wife tried to lie, which they didn't buy because they're way past that kind of nonsense there. I bought the house a week before we were legally married, and she tried to get it. No dice. All she got was 1/2 of what we accrued during our marriage. The same happens here. If you have a good lawyer, he's hired to win for you, not go through the motions. If you don't pressure him to do his job, he might just go along and get paid. He has to do what you ask him, as long as it abides by the laws here. the judge also has to abide by the laws, or he can be removed. Make a deal with your wife. They like money, and a lot don't care for the responsibility of their kids past age 5. If she'll agree ,then you'll both be happy. If not, hire a lawyer, a good one.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1