Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

2 hours ago, rott said:

Living off the generosity and piety of poor people??? Wot you on about lad.?

Backpackers in the main travel cheap, use cheap accommodation and consume cheap food and drink. Living off other people does not really come into it. 

Your vocabulary is not that of a native English speaker, not even a seppo, not that it is important. 

At least I'm not from the UK and call it as I see it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/9/2020 at 2:05 PM, Eindhoven said:

Keyboarding? ???? "is not one of your essential skills(sic)"

Successful? Certainly not with your education. The way you write reminds me of the way Koreans speak. So I think that you were an immigrant to the USA in the first place.

Either way, it's rather sad that you judge everything by the amount of money that you have. Makes me believe that you don't have any real friends.

My Thai friends, from all walks of life, have no basis on the amount of money that I might have. Some of them I met as a backpacker.

To give you an idea, whilst I was sitting chatting with one of them, the Foreign Minister at the time popped in for a chat.

I have the contacts of current Government ministers in my phone right now. Yet, I was a lowly backpacker.

So please, your elitist statements are just making you look like a sad wannabee. Try to look beyond your own existence and beyond your obsession with money and understand that money is just one one, sadly too important, aspect of people's lives.

I care about people/nature, not about money.

OK so you are full of it. You must be smoking something as you write however you can keyboard a lot, but sound idiotic. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

At least I'm not from the UK and call it as I see it. 

And where do you see backpackers living off the generosity and piety of the poor.?

Where you are from has no bearing on anything. 

• Like 1

Just now, rott said:

And where do you see backpackers living off the generosity and piety of the poor.?

Where you are from has no bearing on anything. 

I believe the topic is why are people staying in Thailand when they can't meet TI financial requirements. My comments have been based on a person's ability to meet their responsibilities.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Here's one thought - What would happen to many in Thailand if using an agent became a thing of the past other than to help facilitate the paperwork. Another words (personal) bank statements and proof of med ins were mandatory. I wonder how many "Agent" haters try to tattle on others to the IO.

I'd have zero problems with using an agent, especially to expedite and/or fill out paperwork. When I was at a Thai University they had a girl that took care of visas etc. We had to meet the requirements though. Using an agent to work around the financials isn't my concern either, but I wouldn't do it myself. My issue is that you need to meet the requirements and doing it by border bounces probably won't work.

Those who lack financial resources and get into trouble make me sad for their family because I feel they failed them. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I believe the topic is why are people staying in Thailand when they can't meet TI financial requirements. My comments have been based on a person's ability to meet their responsibilities.

You started it.!!! 

You said about backpackers living off the generosity and piety of the poor. And the other nonsense. 

I merely requested an explanation. 

6 hours ago, rott said:

Living off the generosity and piety of poor people??? Wot you on about lad.?

Backpackers in the main travel cheap, use cheap accommodation and consume cheap food and drink. Living off other people does not really come into it. 

Your vocabulary is not that of a native English speaker, not even a seppo, not that it is important. 

back packers also.don,t ruin past idyllic paradises unlike the two bob,sorry two week millionaire and patronising pratts paying thousands for a fortnights holiday.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, transam said:

"Makes you sad because you feel they failed their family" because of a VISA financial problem..... ????

Chap, I think you have some serious problems, or really are trolling. What do you know about an individuals finances, problems to deal with other than a visa...You know nothing.

We all know you only make friends with people with money, your whole being revolves around cash, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were a potless keyboard dribbler...????

I came here with the full ability to support myself and meet all requirement from TI. I feel that those who can't meet these obligations have failed themselves and their family. The requirements are very low and if necessary a native English speaker could take up teaching English, but a college degree might be needed. 

I have many friends but generally avoid those that are arrogant and full of themselves. 

So to answer the question "why are people staying in Thailand when they can't meet the financial requirement from TI" , I don't know. I meet the requirements, do you?

10 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I came here with the full ability to support myself and meet all requirement from TI. I feel that those who can't meet these obligations have failed themselves and their family. The requirements are very low and if necessary a native English speaker could take up teaching English, but a college degree might be needed. 

I have many friends but generally avoid those that are arrogant and full of themselves. 

So to answer the question "why are people staying in Thailand when they can't meet the financial requirement from TI" , I don't know. I meet the requirements, do you?

Everyone who has the Visa or extension in their passport meets the requirements. 

• Like 2

Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements? Thailands financial requirements are ridiculous, I only keep enough funds in Thailand for living expenses, I would not trust Thailand, you never know what is going to happen next, especially with Military Academy educated soldiers in charge.

Edited by possum1931

On 8/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, JTXR said:

Why would someone want to live here?  It is possible to live a decent (not luxurious, but decent) life on well less than the 65K/month income TI requires.  And probably a better life than can be lived in many rich countries at that same income level. 

Why would someone risk using an agent doing illegal things to live here with lower than required income?  That's another question, and I guess the answer is desperation and/or low personal standards.

And just how many agents do illegal things? Most of them are trustworthy, and only one was questionable.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:45 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Why would you feel sad? Folks use agents for a wide variety of reasons, only stands to reason the agents will charge more as the workload increases. Business 101. 

You can still get around the same prices for agents as about ten years ago, sometime even less, but as most businesses have Capitalist attitudes, as you say they will probably charge more if their business increases.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Boomer6969 said:

What I don't like in your post is that you seem to believe that there is a causal link between the tough situation of some expats and the existence of the corrupt agent system. This situation allows corrupt IOs to get rich illegally on the back of people who are in dire straights.

It would be much more effective and humane to enforce, strictly all requirement for a few probation years and then, very officially show more leniency to those who have made Thailand their home. In fact the core issue could be the fact that Permanent Residency is only available to those who work or invest in Thailand, even though some of those eligible may earn less than the better off retirees.

"It would be much more effective and humane to enforce, strictly all requirement for a few probation years and then, very officially show more leniency to those who have made Thailand their home. In fact the core issue could be the fact that Permanent Residency is only available to those who work or invest in Thailand, even though some of those eligible may earn less than the better off retirees."

I think some of your posts have been outrageous, but I do have to agree with what you have said here.

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

Well good for you, I am sure we will all give you a round of applause.....Well done...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Governments are many things but "humane" is not something I would use in the same sentence.

In another post you said you had left Thailand, but I guess your heart is still here. Look around to see if things are better at home, so can appreciate Thainess if you return.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, checkered flag said:

I obviously do as I have the necessary stamp from Immigration in my passport. 

As you only mix with people similar to yourself, ie financially independent, self-effacing and understated, have you ever met anyone so common that they use an agent.?

Edited by rott
Ingratiating content deleted.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

I obviously do as I have the necessary stamp from Immigration in my passport. 

As you only mix with people similar to yourself, ie financially independent, self-effacing and understated, have you ever met anyone so common that they use an agent.?

If you mean responsible people, I would agree. There's nothing wrong with taking responsibility and meeting all the requirements. I don't know if people use an agent or not, because it's only written about here. I have worked hard and retired with enough money to pay all expenses. I don't ask or receive charity or pitey from others.

Sorry if you have problems meeting the TI requirements and hope your agent can help you bypass them for now. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, checkered flag said:

If you mean responsible people, I would agree. There's nothing wrong with taking responsibility and meeting all the requirements. I don't know if people use an agent or not, because it's only written about here. I have worked hard and retired with enough money to pay all expenses. I don't ask or receive charity or pitey from others.

Sorry if you have problems meeting the TI requirements and hope your agent can help you bypass them for now. 

Wow...............:clap2:

So the threads about you then...........?  ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Wow...............:clap2:

So the threads about you then...........?  ????

No, it seems like most of those with problems are Brits, who got caught in the devalued pound. I feel for them because they probably didn't have much to begin with and have less. The living conditions are changing and people need to re evaluate their option on whether to stay or go. Complaining and attaching others won't help either. 

If you can meet the responsibilities of TI fine if not you must decide. 

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

No, it seems like most of those with problems are Brits, who got caught in the devalued pound. I feel for them because they probably didn't have much to begin with and have less. The living conditions are changing and people need to re evaluate their option on whether to stay or go. Complaining and attaching others won't help either. 

If you can meet the responsibilities of TI fine if not you must decide. 

Oh, so now the Brits are the problem and you come from the land of well off blokes.

Chummy, look, we all have lived different lives with different outcomes, which can and does lead to different ways of life, plus perhaps being adventurous, you know, not hanging on to mums apron strings.

For sure things may go wrong, there's a lot of things that can go wrong with anything, even you, unless you are the second coming.

I would suggest you carry on with the way you want to live and let others do the same, live their own life.

PS. You have posted some well out of order stuff on this thread because you think you are better than most. Shame really....????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Not all people who use an agent, do so because they cannot meet the requirements. Some use them to avoid hassle with IMOs or waiting in rooms with others