Forum upgrade in progress! ×

More migrants cross Channel to Britain as political tension rises

snoop1130

If the UK can see these rubber dinghys coming in, why can't the French see them leaving and more to the point, why do they allow pregnant woman and children to embark on such a very dangerous journey, it doesn't seem very humanitarian to me, don't the French care (rhetorical).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, vogie said:

If the UK can see these rubber dinghys coming in, why can't the French see them leaving and more to the point, why do they allow pregnant woman and children to embark on such a very dangerous journey, it doesn't seem very humanitarian to me, don't the French care (rhetorical).

How many kilometers of coastline is there for the French to keep watch over? Let's get real. The people making the money over there will always find ways to launch their dinghies.

From the Aussie experience you have to kill the aim of these folk in getting to the UK, of leaving France in the first place. So, the message has to be, loud and clear - they will be detained and only bona fide asylum seekers will ever be permitted to stay, which will takes years to verify. Then you do it and the people smugglers will turn elsewhere.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Didn't recognize London or Cambridge when I was there last year. Not English, anymore. Labour let them in a decades ago (thanks Blair) and it never stopped.

Started late 60's early 70's - before Blair. Subsequent governments, Labour and Conservative, made it worse by pandering to immigrants and passing laws which encouraged more to come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

why?

it is hardly illegal for a pregnant woman to board a boat and embark on a journey, risky or not

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

why?

it is hardly illegal for a pregnant woman to board a boat and embark on a journey, risky or not

I never said "illegal" I said humanitarian and I never said "boat", I said rubber dinghy, built for 4 persons and loaded to the gunnels with 12ish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Possibly the stupidest comparison ever. This is not about perfectly legal immigrants with the proper visas, contributing to the economy and supporting local families like a typical expat on the forum.

These are illegal immigrants brought in by ruthless criminal gangs for a fee. Try entering Thailand by boat illegally. Then when you arrive ask for a free house and government handouts. They'd have you in the International Detention Centre in squalid conditions until you had the money to pay for your own flight out. 

If I told you I had no visa for Thailand and was here illegally I bet you'd label me an undesirable farang who was making life difficult for the good guys who follow the rules and you'd support me being deported. Yet you don't support deporting these criminals from the UK. Somewhat hypocritical?

He was referring to all the non White , non native people living in the UK , rather than talking about illegal immigrants and I just asked whether he had a non white , non native wife with him 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I never said "illegal" I said humanitarian and I never said "boat", I said rubber dinghy, built for 4 persons and loaded to the gunnels with 12ish.

rubber dinghy is a boat or vessel if you like

if its not illegal, how can the frogs stop them?

which legal instrument to apply in order to enforce stop?

• Like 1

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

rubber dinghy is a boat or vessel if you like

if its not illegal, how can the frogs stop them?

which legal instrument to apply in order to enforce stop?

Call a rubber dinghy a ship for me, but at the end of the day it's a rubber dinghy and everybody will understand what we are talking about.

• Like 2