Majority of Scots support independence from UK - YouGov poll

snoop1130

10 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The England Cricket team is a team that represents England and Wales .

Welsh teams playing in English leagues , there arent enough teams in Wales to form a league to the standard of Cardiff and Swansea , Monaco also play in the French leagues .

Yes, I believe Scottish people have to pay the BBC licence fee 

Wow . 

That would take a act of God , for Scots , to pay BBC , license fee ..

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The general school of thought is that when the BBC ditched all notion of impartiality, it was no longer a public service but a propaganda tool that had to be financed by the people against whose interests it was working. 

Please...... Nationalists think the BBC pro-unionists; unionists think it pro-nationalist; Trots think it fascist; fascists think it Trotskyist; United fans think it pro-City; City fans think it pro-United.

It's a wonder any <deleted> pays the fee!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

And it still has very good content and makes some groundbreaking television, but its impartiality has been shredded and for that I cannot forgive it. I would support its abolition now. 

So individuals are to be lauded for taking a principled stand against the unionist propaganda peddled by the BBC, but said individuals are not principled enough to miss their favourite BBC programmes?

That's a pretty good definition of a freeloader in my book.

Edited by RayC
Clarification. Missed words

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

With respect to Mandy Rice-Davies;  Stuart Campbell would say that, wouldn't he!

Any unbiased comments from independent sources?

Thats the thing about the main stream media. They dont report on the bias of the main stream media.

So no. I cannot provide you with a link to such a source that you would not consider biased.

Now while Stu Campbell is not someone I would choose to go for a beer with his articles are always full of links and evidence that what he is saying is right. Read the thing. Click on his embedded evidence.

You will find what he is saying is sadly true.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RayC said:

So individuals are to be lauded for taking a principled stand against the unionist propaganda peddled by the BBC, but said individuals are not principled enough to miss their favourite BBC programmes?

That's a pretty good definition of a freeloader in my book.

I never said they were watching the BBC - I said that Scotland had the highest number of households without a licence. It is you who has tried and convicted them. 

48 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Imagine for a second that the national news in the USA was provided by Fox news and you had to pay for it by law.

Would you be happy with that?

No but then again I wouldn't watch it.

48 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I never said they were watching the BBC - I said that Scotland had the highest number of households without a licence. It is you who has tried and convicted them. 

And you therefore contend that amongst all these highly principled individuals not one is taking a sneaky peak at 'Blue Planet', 'Line of Duty', "Peaky Binders', etc?

Besides which, it is also necessary to buy a licence to watch ITV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. Whether it should be is another matter but I doubt that anyone's principles extend to withholding their licence fee as a show of support for Amazon, etc.

Basically, if you own a telly in the UK, buy a licence.

Edited by RayC
Missing word

1 hour ago, RayC said:

And you therefore contend that amongst all these highly principled individuals not one is taking a sneaky peak at 'Blue Planet', 'Line of Duty', "Peaky Binders', etc?

Besides which, it is also necessary to buy a licence to watch ITV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. Whether it should be is another matter but I doubt that anyone's principles extend to withholding their licence fee as a show of support for Amazon, etc.

Basically, if you own a telly in the UK, buy a licence.

Not true, I am afraid. 

Do I need a TV Licence to watch subscription services like Netflix, Amazon or Now TV?

You don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever use these services to watch on demand or catch up programmes except if you’re watching BBC programmes on iPlayer.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Not true, I am afraid. 

Do I need a TV Licence to watch subscription services like Netflix, Amazon or Now TV?

You don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever use these services to watch on demand or catch up programmes except if you’re watching BBC programmes on iPlayer.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

I stand (partially) corrected. You conveniently omit to mention that a licence is needed to watch ITV, C4, C5 and the countless other channels. Still, I'm sure these principled people wouldn't dream of doing so.

Might also have been useful if you had published the rest of the article for completeness:

Remember, if you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel or TV service, or download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It also covers soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

18 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Thats the thing about the main stream media. They dont report on the bias of the main stream media.

So no. I cannot provide you with a link to such a source that you would not consider biased.

Now while Stu Campbell is not someone I would choose to go for a beer with his articles are always full of links and evidence that what he is saying is right. Read the thing. Click on his embedded evidence.

You will find what he is saying is sadly true.

Well he's hardly going to fill his articles with evidence which prove him wrong!

On 8/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, RuamRudy said:

I must admit that in the past I too was brainwashed into thinking that Wales was too wee, too poor to survive as an independent country yet I railed against the very same narrative that was posited about my own country.

The UK has used this line repeatedly over the past century as its colonies have sought to break away; from Malaysia, Singapore, India, Malta etc etc. All were seemingly incapable of managing their own affairs - yet of the 63 countries that have broken away from Westminster, none have come back asking to subsumed once again. 

Stockholm syndrome plays a big part of why still so many Scots fear independence, but we will hopefully show Wales that they can do it too. 

Please inform me .

What if any means of financial income/stability , does Wales have ? .

King Coal, has long gone ...

What little is left of the Steel industry,  along with Cardiff football club , is owned by foreigners . 

The days of singing in the valley , are long gone .. So sad ..

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Please inform me .

What little is left of the Steel industry,  along with Cardiff football club , is owned by foreigners . 

Isn't is shocking that it has been allowed to decay so much by Westminster? But then again, Wales need not feel particularly singled out in that respect. 

Could an independent Wales go it alone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Please inform me .

It's a pipe dream. Wales is a principality that has been part of the Kingdom since Henry Viii's reign whereas Scotland was a separate country with a seperate legal system, albeit on the same island, until the act of union a century or so later. RR might argue that Anglesey, the Scillys or the IoW could go their own way too but for the purposes of this board lets keep it simple by saying it ain't gonna happen.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we Scots would kick you out in a heartbeat.

English friends, please do something about this. You should not be burdened like this. 

Scotland's 'Union dividend' rises to almost £2,000 per person in 'hammer blow' to Nicola Sturgeon

"The SNP government figures for 2019/20 showed each Scot received £1,633 more public spending than the UK average and paid £308 less tax."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

If the shoe was on the other foot, we Scots would kick you out in a heartbeat.

English friends, please do something about this. You should not be burdened like this. 

Scotland's 'Union dividend' rises to almost £2,000 per person in 'hammer blow' to Nicola Sturgeon

"The SNP government figures for 2019/20 showed each Scot received £1,633 more public spending than the UK average and paid £308 less tax."

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the SNP.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that it really is a hollow argument this.

The official figures which show that Scotland relies upon the rest of the UK (well, let us not beat about the bush), England, to maintain it's finances are lies, twisted, Westminster propaganda and so on) yet whenever the SNP are asked the most basic questions about their fiscal policies, for example what currency will you use after independence they cannot/will not give a coherent answer - which is what sank their campaign for independence the last time round.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I'm afraid that it really is a hollow argument this.

The official figures which show that Scotland relies upon the rest of the UK (well, let us not beat about the bush), England, to maintain it's finances are lies, twisted, Westminster propaganda and so on) yet whenever the SNP are asked the most basic questions about their fiscal policies, for example what currency will you use after independence they cannot/will not give a coherent answer - which is what sank their campaign for independence the last time round.

There is a very clear answer which was agreed upon in 2019. On Day 1 of independence, the SG would set up a Central Bank; UK sterling would continue to be used until conditions were such that an Scottish currency could be created. 

As I am not a currency expert, I cannot give you much more detail than that, but clearly your statement that they 'cannot/will not give a coherent answer' is wrong. You simply were not listening. 

But Scotland absolutely and categorically does not rely on the rest of the UK for anything other than the man who goes borrowing on behalf of all areas in the UK sits in Westminster. No part of the UK supports Scotland - we are all borrowing. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But Scotland absolutely and categorically does not rely on the rest of the UK for anything other than the man who goes borrowing on behalf of all areas in the UK sits in Westminster. No part of the UK supports Scotland - we are all borrowing. 

What is the relevance of where Parliament sits ?

Parliament represent all constituencies in the UK , its not as if the UK Parliament is made up of just English politicians 

10 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There is a very clear answer which was agreed upon in 2019. On Day 1 of independence, the SG would set up a Central Bank; UK sterling would continue to be used until conditions were such that an Scottish currency could be created. 

As I am not a currency expert, I cannot give you much more detail than that, but clearly your statement that they 'cannot/will not give a coherent answer' is wrong. You simply were not listening. 

At the time I was not taking part in this discussion, so perhaps you will forgive me for not listening back then. Fired with a thirst for knowledge I googled the topic and came up with this BBC report (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48069470).

It doesn't seem like that clear an announcement, and as the report points out, when Mr Salmond made effectively the same proposal the UK said no! I am no currency expert either, {can never get enough of the damned stuff) but I would hardly consider "sterling would continue to be used until conditions were such that an Scottish currency could be created." a particularly coherent policy, especially with the UKs demonstrated reluctance to allow it. 

Such a policy, along with many others in place from "Day One" would require a deal of co-operation from the rest of the UK (England), a well which the posturing and approach to any matters English by some in the SNP, (even if it is an unrepresentative "loony fringe"} might run dry surprisingly quickly!