The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand: Where life and tomatoes don’t come cheap

rooster59

24 minutes ago, rumak said:

So i don't see the "storm" coming.   As Ying says.... Thais have enough to eat .  And ,  I think they are also quite good at accepting and adapting .  When they are really and truly without any other option ,  then a storm might develop.   I do not think we are anywhere near that point.

The Thai banks are planning on 40% of all loans going into default.

Which must be an indication of something about to happen.

I can't see the borders opening (in any significant way) for the coming high season.

How long can hotels and guesthouses remain in operation without tourists?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can't see the borders opening (in any significant way) for the coming high season.

How long can hotels and guesthouses remain in operation without tourists?

For sure the hotels and guesthouses are taking a big hit.   I don't really pity the 5 star hotels,  they

have plenty of money behind them.   Many of the guesthouses are properties around tapae area that

were owned previously to the tourist boom, and then converted into lodgings.  Of course some are

owned by renters, who will have to find other work. Also the many small businesses around Tapae and nimmon area.   Hurting the landlords who have been getting exhorbitant rents for those areas.  Maybe a

case of som nam nah ?

As for defaults,  I don't know the real figures.  The question is, how much of this is because of the economy and how much is the fault of people borrowing what they cannot afford to keep paying?

I do not think the majority of CM working folks have lost their jobs ....though some in the tourist industry yes.   The problem worldwide is the mindset encouraged by the material world we live in.

BUY NOW .  LOW INTEREST RATES .  GET THAT NEW HOUSE OR CAR YOU ALWAYS DREAMED OF.

Funny that with another thread talking about how important it is to have health insurance....

Nobody mentioned (well, maybe i did)  how important it is to live within ones means and SAVE.

I know you (BM2) ..... have also supported that lifestyle choice. 

Something about "save something for a rainy day"....... i think the old saying was

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

...this provided grist to the mill for those who claim that “life in Thailand is cheap”. Perhaps there was a smidgen of cheapness amongst the cruelty. But generally, I loathe this “one size fits all expression” amongst some foreigners in Thailand. It ranks alongside the ubiquitous “brown envelope” and universal “saving face” explanations, “fragile Thai male ego” and criticisms of everything from Thai driving to safety standards without providing any truly workable answers.

Outstandingly stated, Rooster...  I had to stop here a applaud you. (now on to reading the rest of the article).

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

None of this stopped the foreign netizens from spouting every conspiracy theory along the nonsensical lines that “no foreigner can criticize Thailand”.

It does remind of journalist-cum-English teacher Andrew Biggs who criticised the length of his wait in the immigration queue on his return to Thailand.

His (I think) tweet went viral with the result he was 'invited' to immigration for a discussion regarding what he'd said.

A couple of weeks later the BKK Post decided they no longer needed his services.

an alert policeman (no oxymoron intended)

Ha ha! It usually goes with saying.

immigration chief Big Oud gave us all some timely laughs this week reporting on the arrest of three Chinese nationals called Wang, Si and Dong.

{snipped}

Dong was charged with illegal entry.

I'm still trying to work out if it was an immigration or a sexual offence.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

this is the first time that I have seen large numbers of people sleeping rough

Yes, I do not get out of Lam Luk Ka much, but was very surprised to see so many people laying about around Lumpini Park and that area two weeks ago. It was very sad. Thailand has been smart to not incentive-ize the deaths of people with certain 'symptoms', but the lock/shut 'em down actions have hurt many people, too. We are not getting the statistics for those people locally or internationally.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

13 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

If you're going to the BBC for 'news' you're in a world of hurt, but then TVF and Reuters isn't any better.

Yeah, I know. I tend to use a diversity of resources, then make up my own mind. The bias is driving me towards right wing sources, just to get a balanced view. Everybody has their own agenda. It's so obvious.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I certainly hope that will not be the case,  but who knows.  Certainly not us little guys .  

This does not seem to be a case of massive speculation and a property bubble, such was the case in 1997 (Were lessons ever learned from 1997 financial crisis?   2018 article in the Nation ) 

But the ongoing disease that continues to hurt the overzealous consumer still persists.  At the encouragement of almost every govt and business enterprise..... borrow, borrow, borrow !

Only time will tell what this covid  feardemic will bring upon us peasants.  

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

Thanks Rooster, ... And in another post here on TV, the Interview with the British Embassy Crew was good also, ... As the Info on NON O- visas, in another Post, .... Though differing from what the Immigration Department had told me, some time ago admittedly, ... but well, ... the Visa Amnesty Finishing ! ... and the world is still just about totally ..... <Deleted> ...  It all should be considered I think - Thanks.  .... (Ps. I am still working on getting Insurance, with High Blood Sugar ??? ... and at 64 years old ! ....  I wonder if any one else is starting to see this Problem looming up, out of the Gloom ???) ...

I talked to a Nice Health Insurance man who has an accent like a Scouser !!! ... Which I did not mention to him ... like "Is that a Liverpool accent I hear" ? ... And he sounded Reasonably Honest, ...  and did get a bit personal when he said that a lot of his Friends from around the world are not going to come back to Thailand !!! Because it is now TOO Expensive !!! ... Which got me thinking ... And well did chear me up a bit, thinking about all of the other Good places around the world that I could go to ... When the Dreaded Virus pandemic is Over ! ? ... ??? ... And Like ! ...  Continue to make Video calls to the Wife and children ... and the odd bank transfer to them, as well the world Stock markets seem to be crazily going very well against the trends ..and UP a LOT just now !!! (Well if you have Gold or Silver, battery metals, and Technology ... and not Airlines or Banks !!!)

Edited by Mark mark
Added to it, added Solver and metals

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Like many other arrogant, obscenely rich fugitives, something that they crave the most is out of their reach but available to us.

Actually who is on the run at present except "Boss" ??? Did I miss something?☹️

On 8/16/2020 at 3:55 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

An interesting read as always.

I can't say that the above statement is wrong, but I am not sure if it is correct, yet. It is the middle of August and I don't think a final decision really needs to be made until sometime around the middle or late September or early October regarding tourism in the high season, so one won't be.

Why am I unsure? I think to date decisions regarding the virus have been made by people in a 'virus-proof' economic situation based solely on medical grounds, but we are beginning to see a push back from those who would lose out economically; there are lots of them and they have a great deal of influence, money and power as well. 

Several stories in the media have popped up with a pro-tourism slant, several 'studies' have been commissioned to show that actually Thai people do want tourists to come back. Several polls have magically surfaced which claim that Thais are 'confident' about tourism. I strongly suspect that in the next two weeks we are going to see stories on how the 'world-class' Thai public health system can actually handle a few cases, and how the Thai health volunteers are capable of monitoring the country, and how all reasonable precautions have been taken. Taken together, this is a public relations campaign to encourage the opening of limited tourism in the high season, and the people funding this wouldn't do it if they didn't think there was a chance of success.

In a more negative sense, the next two weeks or so are going to quantify and spell out just how much economic damage has been done to Thailand, and just how much more is coming. And, there really is no room for argument; Thailand has already suffered MASSIVE economic damage and will suffer loads more due to its dependence on foreign trade and foreigners. On a personal note, I have been living in/visiting the Kingdom since the early nineties, and this is the first time that I have seen large numbers of people sleeping rough, and the numbers will only grow. 

Simply put, the economic <deleted>-storm is already here, and it will only grow and grow. I know it, you know it, and you can bet the current government already knows it. 

Authoritarian governments without popular mandates fall in tough economic times; examples abound in political history. That is something else that everyone, including the current government, knows.

Are the borders going to remain firmly closed for high season? I doubt that a final decision has been made yet as a final decision doesn't need to be made yet. Tune in come mid/late September.

Interesting times...

Again a great post, Samui Bodoh! As always ????

Dear Rooster, you said, “As expected, this provided grist to the mill for those who claim that “life in Thailand is cheap”. Perhaps there was a smidgen of cheapness amongst the cruelty. But generally, I loathe this “one size fits all expression” amongst some foreigners in Thailand. It ranks alongside the ubiquitous “brown envelope” and universal “saving face” explanations, “fragile Thai male ego” and criticisms of everything from Thai driving to safety standards without providing any truly workable answers”

My favorite is “TIT”.  As if (insert country, situation, belief, practices, organization of choice), do not also apply.