How Do You Communicate and Keep In Touch with 'Home'

Pilotman

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

Pardon my stupidity but what is a CAT card?  I used to use prepaid calling cards from 7-11 but they are not available any more.

Dear old mum is not too hot on technology, and Godmum hates it.

if your in Pattaya ,CAT office is opp soi rungrand , you used to be able to get them at 7/11 last one i got was about 7 months ago there ,but 100 baht usually runs out as i use it so rarely ,just a back up .

I don't have FB but do use Skype with family abroad and WhatsApp here in Thailand when face to face is necessary or desired, but any other communication is with email.

3 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I use Beta Versions of Hybrid apps to interconnect my iPhone-15 and my Android with Application Programming Interfaces in Artificial Intelligence and APP Provisioning on iOS platforms linked to FaceTime through WhatsApp and Skype in the airplane mode of my 3D Touch i-Cloud app downloaded from Google Duo. Or sometimes I just scribble something on a postcard and send it by regular mail.

I use double clutch from M5, quick and reliable. Waiting for the new model.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, Pilotman said:

I have asked her in the strongest terms not to include references to me, or pics of me, on her FB page, I value my privacy too much. 

did she listen and follow the instructions ??? lucky you 555

On 8/18/2020 at 4:12 PM, Sujo said:

I am a little lucky. I have fb but use it sparingly, its a pain and i dont like it.

My gf has her own fb and own friends. We do not have the same friends and deny mutual friends. Im lucky in that regard.

I just call my mother every few months to see if she is still alive. I am never in contact with my brothers unless my mother is sick.

I dont even have the phone numbers of my btothers, they message thru on messenger.

My life is in asia, my familys life is in australia. Im not overly interested. Im selfish like that.

Like you, its whatsapp etc for any contact.

that makes 2 of us, same same... parents gone thus nobody to check on

As I have banned my phone from using the internet I have to rely on the telephone ( 1 baht/minute to a landline),

Skype, which is a dog ever since Microsoft bought it, and emails with a laptop. Have survived this way for 8 years so no need to change with the fashion.

My eyes are bad enough without trying to read 6pt text on a phone, or two words to a line when you zoom.

For my grandparents in The Netherlands I bought an iPad and a SIM card. I pay the internet costs for the SIM card (15 EUR a month or so). I've put the iPad in Kiosk mode, so they can only use Skype, the rest of the OS is hidden.

My grandparents have the iPad in their living room, so it's easy for me to call them or them to call me. But something they get a bit confused by the interface of the app.

Just now, gamini said:

I presume you mean tourists who are stuck here, home for nearly everyone else who lives here is Thailand.

Whilst I do call Thailand home and have done for many years it may come as a surprise but I do still have family and friends back "home" that I keep in contact with on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I have a Grandstream IP phone that has a Europe phone number and is crystal clear. Paying around 500 baht a month or 1000 if I use global unlimited.
Works on just a smartphone too but a dedicated Internet cable and real phone phone did make a big difference. Also a good reason to not having to answer 24/7.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 8/18/2020 at 4:15 PM, tomazbodner said:

Line messenger mostly. Hardest part is getting anyone outside Asia to install it.

I use both LINE and whatsap on phone and laptop.
Problem with LINE on laptop is that I have to restart every time I turn off the laptop by using QR on my phone.

Sometime ago I tried installing whatsap on my laptop WIN 7 but it needed Blustacks as well