Can I get back?

The path back is complicated and expensive, as well as being inconsistent depending on which country you are coming from, however its not impossible and seems to be gradually thawing all the time. 

I choose to leave, to see western family and manage some business interests, I believe I will be able to get back in a couple of months and am not overly concerned, but then I have homes in the west and can always fly the wife over here as she has long term visas too, I may think differently if I didnt have options. 

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

Your best bet might be to arrange with a local hospital to establish a medical need to return after your surgery in the US.

No need for that since he is married to a Thai which allows him to apply for a certificate of entry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

on marriage extension. No re-entry permit at this time.

Re-entry permit is easy to get before he leaves Thailand.  It’s different than a certificate of entry(COE) which can be difficult to get.  He will need to apply for a COE at a Thai embassy in his home country.

33 minutes ago, timendres said:

Your best bet might be to arrange with a local hospital to establish a medical need to return

This doesn’t help him at all.  He will still need to apply for a COE in his home country. 

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Depending on what you are having done might be cheaper to pay for it out of pocket in Thailand. Especially if yo ucan use a govt hospital.

Your advice is always on the money.

Apart from the financial cost these are uncharted times. My advice to anyone currently in Thailand especially with serious ties to family etc is to exit only as last resort.

• Like 2

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel/covid-19-guide-for-travelers-in-thailand.php

The foreigners to be allowed to enter Thailand will comprise of  diplomats and foreign workers including their families, business representatives and experts invited by the government, permanent residents, foreigners with Thai families, students and their guardians, medical tourists and their attendants and migrant workers with official documents. Foreigners must get in touch with the local Thai Embassy in their current location to apply for Certificate of Entry and for more information.

Dont come here for any answeres to reentry , geting out extending my visa go the Embassy, get hold of immigration, google it first

If you can't get back to the US. I suggest you have the operation done at the Rama Hospital Bangkok going to the premium part of the hospital. It is the best in Thailand and I'm sure as good as any in the states. It's very cheap and if you married to Thai the same price as Thais pay. You have to hang around quite a lot of waiting but you need Thai speaking person with you. I had an operation and it was better than Bumrungrad andcost one`fifth what the private hospitals Cost

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The path back is complicated and expensive, as well as being inconsistent depending on which country you are coming from, however its not impossible and seems to be gradually thawing all the time. 

I choose to leave, to see western family and manage some business interests, I believe I will be able to get back in a couple of months and am not overly concerned, but then I have homes in the west and can always fly the wife over here as she has long term visas too, I may think differently if I didnt have options. 

"I believe I will be able to get back in a couple of months."

Really? On a repatriation flight? 

3 hours ago, gamini said:

If you can't get back to the US. I suggest you have the operation done at the Rama Hospital Bangkok going to the premium part of the hospital. It is the best in Thailand and I'm sure as good as any in the states. It's very cheap and if you married to Thai the same price as Thais pay. You have to hang around quite a lot of waiting but you need Thai speaking person with you. I had an operation and it was better than Bumrungrad andcost one`fifth what the private hospitals Cost

Where is Rama Hospital Bangkok? Do you mean Ramathibodi Hospital?

To clear things up, this is an implant with no need to stay there. Cheaper in USA, yes: free. Here? 1M Baht and low qualifications even at Bumrun. Govt will not touch it. Sukhumvit does not have the skills but will do it. Bumrun advises go home.

I will just wait out the covid.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, DrJack54 said:

OP, there are excellent hospitals in Thailand. Sure you may need pay out of pocket here and perhaps you can obtain cheaper option in USA, but imo I would have it done here.

The path back is very difficult and expensive.

Dr Jack, you are correct.I,ve had by pass surgery and also a fight with colon cancer over the years.All fixed and back to normal now.Mostly very good service and my Bupa/Aetna covered most but not all costs.

I wouldn,t even consider going elsewhere for surgery even in "normal" times. If you have no insurance some hospitals will negotiate the costs but that's hearsay.

In the past I've used a gov't hospital in Bkk name Ramathibodi , very busy place but very affordable.Very good care.BTW Its a "teaching' hospital so top doctors. There is no reason to leave Thailand at this time for medical care IMHO. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

It’s not the “best hospital in Thailand” and neither will you pay the same price locals pay just because you’re married to Thai. Utter nonsense!

My personal experience is very different.I was in Ramathibodi for 5 days last year for surgery. During the registration process they asked my wife if we were married? They told her that after 1 year on marriage we would be charged exactly the same as a Thai.Alas we were married a little shy of that .However the costs were mostly covered by my Aetna policy.If I need any major care in the future I'm heading directly to Ramathibodi . It good for peace of mind that I'll be paying the same as Thais. Don't be put off by the long waits etc.you'll be very happy with the results,I sure was.Its important to take a Thai speaker with you. I saw very few farangs there. Full marks for Ramathibodi !

On 8/19/2020 at 8:29 AM, Max69xl said:

"I believe I will be able to get back in a couple of months."

Really? On a repatriation flight? 

Yeah, people are going on repatriation flights now, I have options of applying from multiple countries where I have residential addresses, which in turn triples my odds. Plus theres lots of talk about forms of tourism re-opening which may come to some fruition by November, if I have to do my quarantine in a nice hotel on Samui or something, where I can go to the beach after x days and a test as is being mooted, doesnt seem like such a hardship posting. 

Basically I am not overly concerned, Thailand is one place I have a home not my only home. The biggest issue for me is the dogs, my wife has Euro and UK visas so is almost as free as me.