Phuket immigration-- Need to show 12 months of transfers from abroad for Non O married to Thai

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

And it is in fact a change, because there are many reports of applicants successfully applying for their first 1-year extension of stay with 2 months of monthly income transfers as evidence of meeting the financial requirements for such application.

I agree there have been various reports of people obtaining an extension by showing just 2 months of monthly income transfers as evidence of meeting the financial requirements for such application.

But is it actually a change in the police order? Has it ever been part of the rules? Do you have a copy of the police order that states supplying just 2 months of monthly income transfers is/could be an acceptable option?

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

You are lucky that you did not yet use up your 60-day extension of stay,

Even luckier that mum had the cash on hand. For me to access my own bond funds would have taken time and lost me interest. I feel for those who are now looking at a dead end. Can only hope that as one door closes another will open for them.

For sure , with every week that passes there are fewer foreigners in the country.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I agree there have been various reports of people obtaining an extension by showing just 2 months of monthly income transfers as evidence of meeting the financial requirements for such application.

But is it actually a change in the police order? Has it ever been part of the rules? Do you have a copy of the police order that states supplying just 2 months of monthly income transfers is/could be an acceptable option?

Hi John,

You are fully correct that it is not a Police Order change, which indeed does not mention the 2 months of monthly income transfers.

But it is surely is a change of policy/practice as 2 months were previously accepted when applying FIRST TIME for the 1-year extension of stay. 

I consider it a 'crack-down' on those that were living in Thailand on the ME Non Imm O marriage Visa (and indeed that Visa is not intended for that purpose), but as usual there is also some collateral damage because this policy/practice change will also affect those with regular assignments abroad and who used that Visa to visit their Thai families. 

23 hours ago, PST said:

Don't forget too, there is also the option to show 400k in a Thai bank for 2 months before applying for a one year extension.

PST

Also the up to date Kor Ro 2 marriage certificate from the Amphur, last year was the 1st time I was caught with my pants (3rd year), was never asked for it before, so the next renewal going forward will include that in with the list of papers for provide them.

• Like 1

I'm a UK citizen, so don't get the letter from the embassy anymore.

With the benefit of hind-sight, it has become a lot easier to get my annual extension for reason of retirement without the letter. Don't have to deal with appointments, going to the embassy and the added expenses. Now, it's just show the money per time requirements and I'm done.

My own opinion is that I'm glad that the letter is no longer a requirement for me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Joe the wording is specific in the extract you posted.

Evidence from the month of retirement.

Unfortunately the example provided is for retirement date 2 month prior to application.

The example cannot be taken as implying only 2 months is required as this would conflict with the actual criteria specified ( from month of retirement ).

If a person arrives in Thailand armed with a non-o visa with the intention of applying for an annual extension for either retirement or marriage reasons, does this mean that immigration won't grant the extension for at least a year if applied for during the last 30 days of the non-o? In other words, a person needs to plan for at least a year before applying?

I can understand an IO's interpretation of previously issued O-A or multi-entry non-os, but if the person applying for the annual extension's history was of visa exempt or tourist visas would that still apply, a one year planning period?

Just interested on your view of that and how immigration would logically deal with that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, engamann said:

but the problem was that since i never had to show this before i dont transfer every month but can be 2 -3 month between

Just checked my Transferwise account & over last 12 months, transferred over 590,000 baht to my Thai bank account.  But never anything regular, all different sums, depending on exchange rates.  Wonder how Chiang Mai immigration would interpret this?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If a person arrives in Thailand armed with a non-o visa with the intention of applying for an annual extension for either retirement or marriage reasons, does this mean that immigration won't grant the extension for at least a year if applied for during the last 30 days of the non-o? In other words, a person needs to plan for at least a year before applying?

That have accepted 2 or 3 months of transfers in the past. I think in the case you mentioned they may still do it.

The ones saying no are just using it as a excuse not to do it IMO. They want to push people to the money in the bank option since it is less paperwork for them to deal with.

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I can understand an IO's interpretation of previously issued O-A or multi-entry non-os, but if the person applying for the annual extension's history was of visa exempt or tourist visas would that still apply, a one year planning period?

It shouldn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Just checked my Transferwise account & over last 12 months, transferred over 590,000 baht to my Thai bank account.  But never anything regular, all different sums, depending on exchange rates.  Wonder how Chiang Mai immigration would interpret this?

Many offices will only accept the transfers if they are 40k baht or more for 12 months. The can be different amounts but need to be equal to or greater than 40k baht per month.

A average income is allowed according the immigration and police orders. But some say it is not allowed,

• Like 1

This is pretty crappy news sprung up all of a sudden. Lots of people have been planing on using the two months of transfers, I think, based on the threads here on TV. I was one of those. Why do some folks keep barking about people "misusing" the O-visa by going to HCMC or Savannakhet to get a new visa instead of an extension? It was a viable, legal option that people used and immigration accepted. Seems to me a perfectly legitimate use of one of the options...if not, the visa would not be granted nor the visa holder let in the country, in my opinion. If it was a frowned upon misuse, why did it exist?

Anyway, for the 400k route (married to Thai), 2 months of seasoning for the first time can mean deposited any day in August and any day in September, for example? Or does 2 months have to be 60 days?

Ah, last thing, the 400k doesn't have to be a transfer, correct? We do not need to show provenance...? Or am I wrong?

Thank you

Edited by bamboozled
  • Like 1

Pretty sure the OP asked about a married NON-O but there are several posts about retirement that won't help.

I did my NON-O married extension last yr with a new contract and 2 months of (local) salary paid, copy of the contract and a letter from the employer stating the contract was real.

Just reapplied 3 weeks ago for another extension and they wanted the same thing again plus 12 months of bank statements showing the monthly salary deposits.

OP, if you don't have 1, get a job. Makes it easier. :wai:

8 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Anyway, for the 400k route (married to Thai), 2 months of seasoning for the first time can mean deposited any day in August and any day in September, for example? Or does 2 months have to be 60 days?

The 400k baht has to be in the bank in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension. If deposited today you could apply on October 21st.

8 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Ah, last thing, the 400k doesn't have to be a transfer, correct? We do not need to show provenance...? Or am I wrong?

There is not requirement to prove it came from abroad nor the source of it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Unfortunately, if you did already use your 60-day extension of stay, the 400K funds-in-bank method is not possible anymore as it requires 2 months of seasoning on your personal thai bank-account on the day you apply for the 1-year extension of stay.

When you did not use your 60-day extension of stay application yet, you can apply for it before the end of the amnesty (26 September), and when you transfer the 400K PRIOR to such 60-day extension of stay application you would be able to meet the 2 month seasoning requirement on the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay.

When using the 400K funds-in-bank method there is no need to prove the foreign origins of the funds nor their source.

• Like 2

Thank you Joe and Peter. I have not yet used my extension so I'm lucky there. I have indeed been transferring 40k plus for the last 4 or 5 months planning to use the 2 months of monthly transfers for first time applicants. But....as seen by this thread, that is suddenly not possible. This certainly seems a premeditated cruel turn of events. I appear to still have options and we'll see if it works out in the end. But since the 2-month rule suddenly is no longer valid, I don't have faith that the other rules won't suddenly be changed. Such as extension not given.

One thing I don't understand and I'm probably missing something but how would someone have 12 months of transfers to fulfill the visa requirement if you need a visa to be able to stay 12 months? Even for 2 months/60 days to transfer the 400k...well, I guess you could do that on a tourist visa but is it not quite difficult to obtain a bank account on a tourist visa? It seems the cart is before the horse. What don't I get?

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Also the up to date Kor Ro 2 marriage certificate from the Amphur, last year was the 1st time I was caught with my pants (3rd year), was never asked for it before, so the next renewal going forward will include that in with the list of papers for provide them.

Correct, the KR2 should be no older than 180 days, however i got one a month before my extension just to be safe.

23 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I have not yet used my extension so I'm lucky there. I have indeed been transferring 40k plus for the last 4 or 5 months planning to use the 2 months of monthly transfers for first time applicants. But....as seen by this thread, that is suddenly not possible. This certainly seems a premeditated cruel turn of events. I appear to still have options and we'll see if it works out in the end. But since the 2-month rule suddenly is no longer valid, I don't have faith that the other rules won't suddenly be changed. Such as extension not given.

HI bamboozled,

What's your IO?

The sudden not-acceptance of the 2-months of monthly transfers for a first time 1-year extension of stay application has been reported at Phuket, CM, Jomtien, KhonKaen, Kalasin and Petchabun.

The first 3 are large offices so it looks like a nation-wide policy/practice change, but maybe your local IO is still using 'normal' practice.

Wouldn't hurt to pay them a visit and enquire about your options and if they confirm 2 months of monthly income transfers are accepted to apply asap for the 1-year extension of stay (as they might change their policy overnight).

• Like 2

RIght, I saw that, thanks. ...Just turns my crank. The number of us on here that have been planning on using this method for the last few months, that is, seasoning of two months, I think is not a small number based on the threads. This ball was batted around on here since the amnesty started with the understanding that the rules were such. So one day you have all your ducks in a line and the next day you don't based on who knows what. Unfortunately, I'm sure this happens the world over.

• Like 1

I'm

7 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

they may as well as make hay while the sun shines because imo this glaring 'leaky bucket' immigration go around will get eventually highlighted in some manner causing a huge face loss and the shutting down of this practice..

I'm not saying that couldn't happen but they do seem to have been operating for a very long time under multiple administrations, and in no way invisibly. Hell, you couldn't even call them discreet in most cases. Those with clout enough to bring them down appear to be purposefully looking the other way.

That said there is a decidedly capricious element within bureaucratic organisations here so anything is possible.

Oh Thailand

Image tagged in you're crazy - Imgflip

Came here on ABTC when my wife took a job here - since defunct.

was at phuket to get it from the horse's mouth last week re retirement visa.

took 2 years 'proof' of pension @ B100,000. (only had a bank account here for a few days.)

IO says no good.

So what is required?

Looks down and sideways ..."6 months deposits in Thai bank account". (????)

How to do when cannot get bank account?

'<deleted>-off' look on face.

I left.

Spoke to agents before that. Not keen to hand over passport illegally at such a cost. 

No doubt this is orchestrated regionally at least. Now with 2 months deposits rejected, agent only possible chance. 

Just wanted to alert here to the '6 months' random demand.

21 minutes ago, khunyod said:

One possible motive (or at least result) for the now widespread refusal (of 2 months @ 40k deposits) is to force people into the agencies, increasing the income at the IOs. Other commentors above have mentioned as such.

Not likely since not all immigration offices have agents that can do such a thing as you think. There are about 80 offices in the country and I would guess there may only be 6 of them that have agents that can do it or agents that can do anything to assist with with to do a application.

1 hour ago, khunyod said:

One possible motive (or at least result) for the now widespread refusal (of 2 months @ 40k deposits) is to force people into the agencies, increasing the income at the IOs. Other commentors above have mentioned as such.

Immigration's fear is that most people who normally use ME Non-O visas will stop transferring the monthly 40,000 baht into their Thai bank account as soon they receive their extension.   

8 hours ago, SEtonal said:

Immigration's fear is that most people who normally use ME Non-O visas will stop transferring the monthly 40,000 baht into their Thai bank account as soon they receive their extension.   

And how will they survive?  I live on a tight family budget, & still transfer more than the required 480,000 baht a year.  Just haven't done it as a regular 40,000 a month, as I didn't need to do it that way before.

• Like 1