Thailand for six months Jan 2021, simplest option

Hi all, 

Wife has persuaded me to return to Thailand for six months this coming January to fix up our "retirement house". It's been a while since I have wanted stay more than a few weeks to be honest and the current visa rules seem convoluted. What would be easiest single entry solution to staying with wife's family for that amount of time? The only option I could find entailed having £5k in the bank for six months which is already too late to do

cheers

• Confused 5

A single entry non-O based on marriage give you 90 days which can be extended by 60 days at immigration in country.  That's likely your best visa option.  However, there's this virus thing going on which probably means you can't go in January in any case without all the hoop jumping that entails. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

A single entry non-O based on marriage give you 90 days which can be extended by 60 days at immigration in country.  That's likely your best visa option.  However, there's this virus thing going on which probably means you can't go in January in any case without all the hoop jumping that entails. 

Thanks and yes, everything comes down to next year being more foreigner friendly in Thailand. I doubt very much I would willing to do any kind of quarantine just to visit

8 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

The situation in Thailand seems gloomier from the inside than from the outside I must say. And anyone married to a Thai woman should know better than thinking I could ever explain anything better than her reasoning.

It's a done deal as long as the borders are open and flights resuming

Quarantine is almost a given, if trying to enter in January. Further, you will need to arrange a Covid-19 test just before departure for Thailand.

It would be a little more feasible if your wife wished to go alone, especially if she is willing to submit to State Quarantine which is unpleasant but free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

The situation in Thailand seems gloomier from the inside than from the outside I must say. And anyone married to a Thai woman should know better than thinking I could ever explain anything better than her reasoning.

Not gloomier, just more realistic.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Thanks and yes, everything comes down to next year being more foreigner friendly in Thailand. I doubt very much I would willing to do any kind of quarantine just to visit

Here a story about someone from the Netherlands who came in the country during COVID, it ain't a walk in the park:

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/learning/expat-story-traveling-from-the-netherlands-to-thailand-during-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR2H6r4B-FkTpBDtVtPPmYyGCHBrrHj8TXLGQ3GX4bUGWWsk0XjaiwyJWYo

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

But they aren't and there is no reason to assume they will be in January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

I've already had a positive covid test a few weeks back, so the thought of having to quarantine seems a bit overkill

I can understand your frustration, but there is still no certainty that a prior infection with Covid-19 confers immunity against reinfection, or for how long.

On 8/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, ourmanflint said:

The 14 days quarantine is for everyone, not only for foreigners. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Must admit to still struggling with the idea that Thailand will try to remain closed over the high season. I've already had a positive covid test a few weeks back, so the thought of having to quarantine seems a bit overkill

You have failed to grasp the fact that Thailand will willingly sacrifice 'high season' to retain it's boast of no domestic CV19 cases.

The focus is on ramping up domestic tourism.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I can understand your frustration, but there is still no certainty that a prior infection with Covid-19 confers immunity against reinfection, or for how long.

Actually, despite all the nonsense posted online about covid-19 the latest research from the middle of August 2020 suggests that the antibody providing immunity to covid-19 will last for years and a vaccine will be able to provide this.

This wont help the OP though since the vaccine is yet to be finalized and released.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Actually, despite all the nonsense posted online about covid-19 the latest research from the middle of August 2020 suggests that the antibody providing immunity to covid-19 will last for years and a vaccine will be able to provide this.

Can you provide a link to a peer reviewed study that justifies this? Is the proposed vaccine a one-shot vaccine, or does it require multiple shots? In the latter case, how much time is required between shots?

I doubt you'll be travelling in January but for future reference. Talk to your embassy or consulate - whenever I've applied for a 6 month tourist visa I've only sent 3 months bank statements. Plus, again dependent on where you apply - my local consulate will accept proof of funds in a private pension - provided they are accessible  There's often flexibility allowed.

Edited by KhaoYai

12 hours ago, NightSky said:

This wont help the OP though since the vaccine is yet to be finalized and released.

That's good news if true, as I said I have already had Covid once. Might be very useful

On 8/20/2020 at 6:25 PM, 86Tiger said:
On 8/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, ourmanflint said:

...........anyone married to a Thai woman should know better than thinking I could ever explain anything better than her reasoning...........

Truer words have never been uttered...

Yes, but can leave out the word "Thai" - seems to be universal world-wide, from my experience.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I've already had a positive covid test a few weeks back, so the thought of having to quarantine seems a bit overkill

That's immaterial.

The current requirement for a foreigner (married to a Thai) to enter Thailand and must be presented to the airline before boarding.

1. A Certificate of Entry.

2. Health certificate showing negative Covid-19 with a RT-PCR laboratory test, issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.

3 Health Insurance Policy showing a minim cover for Covid-19 of not less than 100,000 USD.

On arrival you'll have to serve 14 days quarantine in a Government hotel facility which must be booked and paid for in advance.

• Like 1