Spent 7 days on Patong

clearance

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Are you interested in using their services ?

Just for research reasons.

And seriously, I life in Bangkok and I can get all the fun I want here. Why should I go to overpriced Phuket? Definitely not for the nightlife.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And seriously, I life in Bangkok and I can get all the fun I want here. Why should I go to overpriced Phuket? Definitely not for the nightlife.

You could use it as a bargaining tool, tell the prostitutes in BKK that the prostitutes in Phuket will do it for xxxx amount and you may get a discount ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why? Clean fresh ocean air, mountains, beaches, room to stretch your arms, no epic bangkok style traffic jams etc....

Other than taxis, what is overpriced in phuket compared to bangkok?

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Why? Clean fresh ocean air, mountains, beaches, room to stretch your arms, no epic bangkok style traffic jams etc....

Alcohol and women. Jest skiis, deck chairs, food.

just the things people like.

Edited by Sujo

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Alcohol and women. Jest skiis, deck chairs, food.

just the things people like.

Booze can be found cheap at many bars across phuket, even on the tourist epicenter of bangla road you can find beer for only 80 baht a bottle all night, of a bucket of 5 for only 250 baht. You just need to look around for it. Lots of cheap thai brand hard liquor deals as well.

Of course, if you want to drink in a popular dance club or live music bar on bangla or in Bangkok, you will need to pay the bigger bucks.

Jet skis are expensive everywhere in the world. 

Beach loungers can also often be free if you buy drinks from the vendor. 

Edited by ChasingTheSun

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

The fact remains that there are far too many taxis and tuktuks in Phuket, even in the best of times.

Unfortunately, the principles of supply and demand do not apply to taxis and tuktuks in Phuket. These guys realized long ago that instead, the principle of "the more the merrier" could be employed because any attempt by the government to regulate their trade could be met with, shall we say, extreme resistance. No restrictions on the number of operators, and no regulated fares results in maximum income for minimal work for all. Why make 2 trips for a regulated fare of 400 baht each, when you can make only one trip for 700 baht, and your buddy Somchai takes the other trip for 700 baht? Everyone's happy, except the tourists.

All this thanks to their strong arm organizations (the "co-operative" and the "association").

It's called a Cartel. Collusion by all taxis to dictate a price. Nothing to do with supply and demand. Look to de Beers as a model.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, torturedsole said:

There's no comparison between the cost of a flight ticket and hiring a taxi (you might have noticed that your average taxi doesn't have 150 seats in the back).  

For arguments sake, 700 baht is currently about GBP 17.50, which isn't bad considering it's at least a 45 minute journey as long as hypersonic speeds aren't involved and you obviously got to Patong Beach alive, which is also a bonus.  

Whenever you've got nothing to say, why don't you just shut up ?! That's real poetry !!!

11 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Isn't everything overpriced in Phuket?

I remember the last time I was there with my gf maybe 10 years ago.

We were at the beach early and liked it. Then she wanted some SomTum. It took some time to find it - for 100B!

Obviously Phuket could be a nice place because of the nature. But getting ripped off constantly doesn't make that experience any better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Isn't everything overpriced in Phuket?

I remember the last time I was there with my gf maybe 10 years ago.

We were at the beach early and liked it. Then she wanted some SomTum. It took some time to find it - for 100B!

Obviously Phuket could be a nice place because of the nature. But getting ripped off constantly doesn't make that experience any better.

10 yrs ago! Was that a Sunday?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

This is normal Thai logic. If you have not enough customers you have to raise the prices to make enough money.

Since there are many more bars and hotels that have lowered the prices, no. Not normal Thai logic.

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 12:38 AM, clearance said:

blue bus/smart bus is not working now

Blue buses/songthaews are definitely running in Patong and the rest of the island.  I see them every day.  Haven't seen a SMART bus for a long time.  You're better off taking a taxi/meter from the airport, and if you get his phone number he might come to pick you up.  If there are taxis queued at your hotel you'll have to meet the taxi/meter a short distance away from the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 7:08 AM, DrDave said:

Your average taxi doesn't pay tens of thousands of baht for fuel for one trip (4,000 litres BKK - HKT), make lease payments on a 1 billion baht vehicle (35 million USD), pay for airport gate and facilities rental, spare parts inventory, salaries for mechanics, cleaning crews, ramp and customer service agents, pilots, and flight attendants, IT, administrative and other capital expenses and much, much more.

A taxi driver making just 3 runs per day will gross over 2,000 baht. The cost of fuel (LPG) is negligible, and car payments and insurance under 300 baht/day.  Now compare that to the average skilled Thai worker who is lucky to earn 800-1000 baht per day.

Insurance ?? You think they have insurance !!!!????????????

• Like 1