AC Leaking, not drain pipe

Polarizing

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Rusting iron of the old galvanized iron pipes that used to be used for water.  Not much of that remaining anymore.

Actually there is still a lot of it around, just not much in small  or new residential.

What about copper, brass or stainless?

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually there is still a lot of it around, just not much in small  or new residential.

What about copper, brass or stainless?

Have not seen used for water - gas yes.  Water has been plastic for decades for residential use/feed.   

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have not seen used for water - gas yes.  Water has been plastic for decades for residential use/feed.   

I was not asking if they were widely used, I was asking about where the residue they are supposed to be full of comes from if not from the water.

In any event, copper is still widely used in the US and it is (IMO) much better than plastic, lasts forever and is in many ways easier to work with.

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was not asking if they were widely used, I was asking about where the residue they are supposed to be full of comes from if not from the water.

In any event, copper is still widely used in the US and it is (IMO) much better than plastic, lasts forever and is in many ways easier to work with.

It is also often a source of lead poisoning although at a lesser scale than the previous use in USA of lead pipes.  Better most of the world is not like USA.  Copper is fine for hot water heating - not so good for water lines but was preferred due to US using central water heaters.  Here most water lines are cold only so even older plastic works fine.

Copper pipes have replaced lead pipes in most residential plumbing. However, the use of lead solder with copper pipes is widespread. Experts regard this lead solder as the major cause of lead contamination of household water in U.S. homes today.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It is also often a source of lead poisoning although at a lesser scale than the previous use in USA of lead pipes.  Better most of the world is not like USA.  Copper is fine for hot water heating - not so good for water lines but was preferred due to US using central water heaters.  Here most water lines are cold only so even older plastic works fine.

Hilarious 

On 8/23/2020 at 8:40 AM, Moonlover said:

It sound to me as if the drain pipe is obstructed. This a common problem. I have a quick fix for this that may be useful for you @Polarizing. It works on mine,

I put the hose of my vacuum cleaner over the end of the pipe (outside of course) and suck through the pipe for a few minutes. I had to clear out our bedroom unit just last week and there's not been a drop of water from it since.

You might have to be a bit creative about sealing the hose. I use a sawn off plastic water bottle.

i  use that aluminium roofing  insect  mesh rolled  into  a  tube and  inserted  in  the  end  of the drain  pipe.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

No it doesn't. 

Yes it Does here it is Again:   

Rusting iron of the old galvanized iron pipes that used to be used for water. 

That is the Contamination , Rust from the Gal pipes & Gal particles.Some of the very old  Mains that supply the houses are still Cast Iron. Plenty contamination in them.

24 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Yes it Does here it is Again:   

Rusting iron of the old galvanized iron pipes that used to be used for water. 

That is the Contamination , Rust from the Gal pipes & Gal particles.Some of the very old  Mains that supply the houses are still Cast Iron. Plenty contamination in them.

Not much rust inside galvanized pipe, a little at the joints. Most all the blockage is mineral deposits. 

If there were that much corrosion, why do the the hundred year old galvanized steel pipes not be rusted out from the inside? 

Anyway, still doesn't speak to copper, brass or stainless. 

PVC is great. Cheap, only requires no or low-skilled labor, lasts for ever.