AC Leaking, not drain pipe

Polarizing

Hi TV,

A few days ago my AC was leaking from the drain pan, I removed that and cleaned that out, also cleaned the rest of the AC.
However, upon further investigation, there are some pipes that remain leaking, first I thought it might come from the drain pan, but they are really slightly leaking. Can you identify what those pipes are and help me out of it?
Is it possible to DIY this? If it's freon, woudn't I be death by now? hahaha.. 

Also the ground is not connected... ???? Does this has any reason or is this just plain dangerous?

UigFZ5p.jpg
jv0SkXF.jpg

Iiw3qdz.jpg

TNtsfpq.jpg

Edited by Polarizing

Just now, worgeordie said:

Maybe condensation ?,having no earth connected is very serious, you need to

get an A/c engineer out to check it out and earth it.how long ago did you have

it serviced and refilled ?

regards worgeordie

Unless you're in the habit of touching the metalwork on your A/C, it having an earth is neither here nor there.

Mine is mounted near the ceiling well out of reach.

• Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Unless you're in the habit of touching the metalwork on your A/C, it having an earth is neither here nor there.

Mine is mounted near the ceiling well out of reach.

Is it better to have it earthed or not ?, what about the outside unit,that's all metal,and the OP

was inside the unit cleaning it.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Is it better to have it earthed or not ?, what about the outside unit,that's all metal,and the OP

was inside the unit cleaning it.

regards worgeordie

My outside unit is on the wall about 10' off the ground.

I'd need a ladder to touch it.

Presumably the OP switched the fuse off at the main house fuse box before putting his hands in it.

Playing inside electrical units with live electricity connected is never a good idea (earthed or not).

Gotta love Thai twisted wire connections placed such a way that water can drip on them, what could possibly go wrong.

Edited by BritManToo

AC normally makes water as pipes are colder than air so condensation forms and drips into the drain pan.  If the pipe from drain pan to outside becomes blocked then water will spill into room.  That is likely what has happened and best to have worker clean whole AC unit at same time as fixing pipe blockage.  If you try to do with air hose could be a mess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Presumably the OP switched the fuse off at the main house fuse box before putting his hands in it.

yes, shall i replace the connections with wago? yesss

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

AC normally makes water as pipes are colder than air so condensation forms and drips into the drain pan.  If the pipe from drain pan to outside becomes blocked then water will spill into room.  That is likely what has happened and best to have worker clean whole AC unit at same time as fixing pipe blockage.  If you try to do with air hose could be a mess.

I don't think my pipes are blocked since I cleaned the whole drain pan and cleaned the drain pipe. 

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

You need working insulation around these pipes. In respect of a connection to the ground. It should be but I have never seen here an aircon in Thailand that was connected. 

What is the best way to insulate? Its kinda in a awkward spot, AC is hanging in front of a wall with a hole to access the pipes, I can't put two arms in there at the same time and it's hard to see (little to no light)

8 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

What is the best way to insulate? Its kinda in a awkward spot, AC is hanging in front of a wall with a hole to access the pipes, I can't put two arms in there at the same time and it's hard to see (little to no light)

You can buy insulation material and wrap it around the pipes. At areas that you can't reach it is important that no fresh air can get there. Fresh air will always transport new moisture. But without fresh moist air the condensing will be very limited. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

one more thing, can I make an outlet next to my ac from the wiring there? or is it not advisable?

Assuming the supply goes to the indoor unit, yes. It's not really good practice, but it's not going to be a hazard.

Make sure you don't connect to the inter-unit wiring or your outlet will go on and off with the compressor.

• Like 1

One important advice. Whenever you do something at the aircon always switch off the main power to it and wait a while before touching metal parts. And always use shoes that isolate you from the ground when playing around with electricity. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 2

The 2 copper pipes are for the refrigerant or gas (gaz), if there leaking there's 2 joins inside connecting the internal air-con wall unit and 2 joins by the outside air-con unit. 

If it's those pipes which leak then you will need an air-con guy to top up the gas. 

Connecting the Earthing wires to a place where you have earth wires is easy there's an earth wire in the internal unit and one in the external unit, best to earth it,  most air-con guys didn't bother years ago.

Also be careful some air-cons are wired direct from outside incoming power and only protected by the usual on/off room wall mounted Chang switch. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The 2 copper pipes are for the refrigerant or gas (gaz), if there leaking there's 2 joins inside connecting the internal air-con wall unit and 2 joins by the outside air-con unit. 

If it's those pipes which leak then you will need an air-con guy to top up the gas. 

If they are leaking you will not see liquid there. They contain gas. In respect of top up the gas. If your aircon is still cooling normally don't let them even check the gas. Many will cheat you anyway and charge you for charging. But even worse. They might damage the seals there and then you really will lose gas. 

I will never forget an ?engineer? who explained to me it is like a car. If you use it a lot it will need a lot of gas...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Make sure you don't connect to the inter-unit wiring or your outlet will go on and off with the compressor.

Ah you mean the wiring is connected to the outside unit, which is why I see two hots two neutrals two grounds here.. right?

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

If they are leaking you will not see liquid there. They contain gas. In respect of top up the gas.

Your wrong.

Your AC unit can also leak refrigerant, the liquid used to cool your home's air, but it's not as common. Refrigerant can become dangerous if the leaking liquid evaporates and becomes a gas. ... If your air conditioner leaks water, you are safe – but you should still call for AC repair.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your wrong.

Your AC unit can also leak refrigerant, the liquid used to cool your home's air, but it's not as common. Refrigerant can become dangerous if the leaking liquid evaporates and becomes a gas. ... If your air conditioner leaks water, you are safe – but you should still call for AC repair.

What determines if it leaks in gas form or liquid form? You are talking about freon r22 right?

To my read it is a  bit confusing as to which /what s  your   main concern?

The electrical earth wire "should" be connected  but has  no relevance to liquid  leaks.

If refridgerant was leaking  to a degree where it was observable it  would be depleted already.

How are  you certain  you have  unblocked  the  drain tube? And/are  you sure  you have not  dislodged  the piping in a way that restricts  the condensation from flowing to the   drain tube?

Try a   M'gyver approach and put  some water   down the  outlet pipe while  you suck it  out from the exit end ( if  you have a wet and dry  vacuam cleaner)( multiversal thingy) and see if it  does  not  suck out an obstinant  small  frog  or  a  freakin massive bug that has been  doing a  Jackie Chan man-oover in there !

Alternatively carefully pour  some  toilet cleaner  down the  drain tube. I once found that was the fastest way  to move a  very large toad  from inside a shower drain. Sounds  cruel  but I did  rinse him  off in a  bucket  with   baking soda and water once  he exited. He /she? plopped off after with tender feet  but fit enough to a different location.

3 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

To my read it is a  bit confusing as to which /what s  your   main concern?

The electrical earth wire "should" be connected  but has  no relevance to liquid  leaks.

If refridgerant was leaking  to a degree where it was observable it  would be depleted already.

How are  you certain  you have  unblocked  the  drain tube? And/are  you sure  you have not  dislodged  the piping in a way that restricts  the condensation from flowing to the   drain tube?

Try a   M'gyver approach and put  some water   down the  outlet pipe while  you suck it  out from the exit end ( if  you have a wet and dry  vacuam cleaner)( multiversal thingy) and see if it  does  not  suck out an obstinant  small  frog  or  a  freakin massive bug that has been  doing a  Jackie Chan man-oover in there !

Alternatively carefully pour  some  toilet cleaner  down the  drain tube. I once found that was the fastest way  to move a  very large toad  from inside a shower drain. Sounds  cruel  but I did  rinse him  off in a  bucket  with   baking soda and water once  he exited. He /she? plopped off after with tender feet  but fit enough to a different location.

because after i cleansed the drain pan and sucked the pipe with my cheap vacuum it isn't leaking from the front anymore, but near the pipes. your statement about leaking refrigerant is asfaik true so not a concern. It is probably just condensation, so insulation probably will solve the issue

2 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

because after i cleansed the drain pan and sucked the pipe with my cheap vacuum it isn't leaking from the front anymore, but near the pipes. your statement about leaking refrigerant is asfaik true so not a concern. It is probably just condensation, so insulation probably will solve the issue

Ah !  So the  "leak" in reality is an annoying persistent  drip  where it is exposed to the  room before exiting  via wall ?

In that case  yes, insulation should help reduce/eliminate that problem.

In the current wet  season humidity can be a problem.

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Ah !  So the  "leak" in reality is an annoying persistent  drip  where it is exposed to the  room before exiting  via wall ?

In that case  yes, insulation should help reduce/eliminate that problem.

In the current wet  season humidity can be a problem.

I find the word 'exit' quite tricky in this situation, as I don't know which way the substance inside is going. It is indeed a persistent drip (also feel moist to the touch) from my pipes to where my wiring is behind the wall where my ac is mounted on (see first pic), you can access it via that rabbit hole XD. Anyone know if I can just buy that at homepro? Polyethylene foam is the best right?

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Your wrong.

I don't understand what you are talking about. Cut any copper pipe of your aircon and you will see how quickly the gas disappears. Refrigerant never ever will cause a water or any other damage. I never ever heard such a nonsense. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polarizing said:

I find the word 'exit' quite tricky in this situation, as I don't know which way the substance inside is going. It is indeed a persistent drip (also feel moist to the touch) from my pipes to where my wiring is behind the wall where my ac is mounted on (see first pic), you can access it via that rabbit hole XD. Anyone know if I can just buy that at homepro? Polyethylene foam is the best right?

To be honest  your pictures  do not really provide much to my visual comprehension except for the one  which shows a fingers peeling open and exposing the copper tubing and the condensation.

The conventional criteria  for the  installing the tubing is that it should always  totally be in a  downward position from the internal unit to the compressor. Theoretically it is also wrapped and taped over the entire length which would presume any water from condensation that occurs inside  that would travel downward and outward. If there are  gaps then it has not been installed  well.

For sure any wiring should  be  bundled and placed away from wet areas, earthed  or  not.

It occurs  to me to ask now if this is a split unit or a one piece "in wall" unit?

5 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

To be honest  your pictures  do not really provide much to my visual comprehension except for the one  which shows a fingers peeling open and exposing the copper tubing and the condensation.

The conventional criteria  for the  installing the tubing is that it should always  totally be in a  downward position from the internal unit to the compressor. Theoretically it is also wrapped and taped over the entire length which would presume any water from condensation that occurs inside  that would travel downward and outward. If there are  gaps then it has not been installed  well.

For sure any wiring should  be  bundled and placed away from wet areas, earthed  or  not.

It occurs  to me to ask now if this is a split unit or a one piece "in wall" unit?

split, my ac is installed in a closet, I painted everything nearby black so it doesn't bother me from an interior design perspective and thats why its hard to see; its hanging on a front panel with a hole in it. the second and third picture are all pictures taken inside that hole. If you analyse the first picture, i think u might get a clue. wiring will be fixed soon with an extra outlet. Anyways I understand what i gotta do, get the wiring done and insulate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polarizing said:

What determines if it leaks in gas form or liquid form? You are talking about freon r22 right?

I'm talking about gas in a air-con unit, have you ever dismantled one ?? I have and there is liquid formed in whatever amount from the gas when released.

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm talking about gas in a air-con unit, have you ever dismantled one ?? I have and there is liquid formed in whatever amount from the gas when released.

I haven't but to the point it can cause water damage? So are you saying I should test if my tubes are not gas leaks in liquid form? To me, highly unlikely from what I have read but I can make tests if you give me the steps. Also you didn't answer me which refrigerant you were dismantling.

@Oldiewhat do you think? 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That is likely to be the compressor oil, as R22 boils at -40 STP

other refrigerants boil at higher temperatures r134 at -26 STP

So any liquid will not be the refrigerants 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

It sound to me as if the drain pipe is obstructed. This a common problem. I have a quick fix for this that may be useful for you @Polarizing. It works on mine,

I put the hose of my vacuum cleaner over the end of the pipe (outside of course) and suck through the pipe for a few minutes. I had to clear out our bedroom unit just last week and there's not been a drop of water from it since.

You might have to be a bit creative about sealing the hose. I use a sawn off plastic water bottle.

• Like 1

'– but you should still call for AC repair.'

I think this is correct advise. We get our aircons cleaned by the air con guy and there is a lot of dirt and gunk from the inside and outside units. The cost varies on the size of the units, but for B500 to B800 it's not worth the hassle to do it yourself. They can probably fix up any other problems as well. The aircon guys use a special cover that allows the air con to be cleaned properly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Polarizing said:

I haven't but to the point it can cause water damage? So are you saying I should test if my tubes are not gas leaks in liquid form? To me, highly unlikely from what I have read but I can make tests if you give me the steps. Also you didn't answer me which refrigerant you were dismantling.

@Oldiewhat do you think? 

Don't care what you have read I only know what I have done.

Don't know what refrigerant is used in Thailand I just dismantalled outside air-con unit with valves shut off dismantled copper pipes and gas released and reinstalled unit outside another room.

I dismantled internal copper pipes from internal air-con unit and reinstalled in the room air-con guy charged 300 for re-gassing up. .

No leaks anywhere. 

Edited by Kwasaki