Thai driving licences: Those with certain diseases to be barred - Big Bike confirmed as 400cc up

rooster59

35 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You mean BADGES saying 350 cc sales go up. If the badge on the side says 350, how will the cops know different?

The regulation applies to engine size, not badge nomenclature.  If there is any dispute police will, obviously, have a reference!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nahkit said:

And where will riders of these bikes be able to find this special training? Is the government, even as I type this, training experts who will then be available throughout the country to pass this knowledge on?

I paid for 3 days of training at a driving school prior to getting my motorcycle licence and it was a farce. I naively thought that the 3 days would be spent showing me the correct way to ride a motorcycle, what I actually got was a list of the highway code questions in English and was told to study them for the first day.

They had a fingerprint sign-in system and on the 2nd day they had me ride round the test course twice and then left me to look at the highway code again for the rest of the morning. At lunchtime they did the fingerprint thing and then told me to go home and come back at 5pm at which point they had me do they fingerprint sign-in and told me I was finished for the day.

The third day they had me take the test and that was it. Can't wait to see what the special training will consist of.

The person riding the bike in many cases is the fault not the size of the bike.  The bike only gos as fast as the person riding it want it to go.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Some of you are so busy dissing Thailand that you miss that this maybe a precursor to bikes over 400cc being allowed on tollways.????

Just sayin....

And some have a wild imagination.  Let's hope the bikes stay where they are, regardless of a few cc.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I paid for 3 days of training at a driving school prior to getting my motorcycle licence and it was a farce. I naively thought that the 3 days would be spent showing me the correct way to ride a motorcycle, what I actually got was a list of the highway code questions in English and was told to study them for the first day.

They had a fingerprint sign-in system and on the 2nd day they had me ride round the test course twice and then left me to look at the highway code again for the rest of the morning. At lunchtime they did the fingerprint thing and then told me to go home and come back at 5pm at which point they had me do they fingerprint sign-in and told me I was finished for the day.

The third day they had me take the test and that was it. Can't wait to see what the special training will consist of.

If you were proficient enough to pass the test (and you know whether you were or not), what's the problem?  If you weren't good enough (and you know whether you weren't) let's hope that you're not being a hypocrite and riding a bike.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Anyone who currently rides a bike larger than 400cc should breeze through any test The LTD devises.

Why?  Are you saying that a crappy rider of a 150cc bike will not be a crappy rider of a 400cc bike? 

Riding a +400cc bike doesn't necessarily give the rider any skills that the rider of a smaller bike doesn't have. 

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Weird that they scapegoat those with congenital disease, but the much bigger problem is drink, no helmet, no licence, speeding, how about law enforcement?

Ooops, please don't mention the latest category...they might read your statement and take it as en encouragement to double the "fines"

18 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

In my small village there are, maybe,  1000 small bikes and scooters.  There maybe 50 old 2 strokes...not registed. Of the rest half or more are not registered many no lights or blinkers or mirrors. I would imagine half or more riders have no licence.  The old grannies I see riding around I'll bet never had a licence and never will.  All the kids going to school...definitely no licence.  The alcoholic that lives at the end of our lane,  who rides a clapped out 2 stroke that blows a smoke screen big enough to hid a battleship...my guess, no licence!  They really need to address the existing issues not create new problems to solve.  And another existing annoyance....farm trailers with no lights or reflectors.  I've come close to running into the back of a few being pulled by 2 wheeled tractors.

This sounds exactly like my village but i think the percentage of no licence etc is probably higher.

The only bikes that are licensed are the ones that need to drive through the permanent police checkpoint just outside the nearest town. Very large percentage of kids from 10 years old running around every day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Bob said:

"Big Bike confirmed as 400cc up"

Sales of 350cc bikes up 200%!!! ????️

They just made Honda and Yamaha happy. Those forzas and xmax bikes will be selling like hotcakes.  Maybe even the Yamaha MT-03 will be the new crotch rockets for those young men.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unamazedloso said:

so i will have 3 licenses now and my wife, none! ????????

this is stupid. motorcycles are motorcycles. Im sure the ratio of scooter deaths out weigh big bikes so the real problem is law enforcment and social issues like stupidity. 

all thais need to be retested for car licenses also. They are getting worse!!

only if one exceeds 400cc of working brain tissue

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

For the first time the Department of Land Transport has acknowledged that most of the accidents on Thai roads are caused by people - the drivers and riders themselves. 

Shocking.. all these years I thought that most accidents were caused by vehicles that had suddenly become sentient and wanted to rebel against humans..

so i will have 3 licenses now and my wife, none! ????????

this is stupid. motorcycles are motorcycles. Im sure the ratio of scooter deaths out weigh big bikes so the real problem is law enforcment and social issues like stupidity. 

all thais need to be retested for car licenses also. They are getting worse!!

Anyway, what about electric bikes? they aint got displacement...