Thai driving licences: Those with certain diseases to be barred - Big Bike confirmed as 400cc up

rooster59

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Many older expats with big bikes like Harleys or by the way any bike over 400cc won't be very happy, some have driven big bikes most of their lives and now they're going to have to pass I don't know what kind of ridiculous test! ???? 

Probably the primary test will be  a health check of financial capacity at several points in time. Purchase, annual licensing, random check points.

My only bi-tch (being an "older expat with a Harley") is that instead of one license with different endorsements (i.e. for car, scooter and big bike), you will end up with 3 separate licenses, one for each type. 
Why they can't simply use one license and then list the classes on it (like they do in Canada for example) instead of having to issue different licenses is beyond me. 

And the B.S. about diseases ? W.T.Freddie ? They don't care if every Somchai on the road right now has any kind of disease, what is the B.S. about big bike riders ? Sounds like a load of kwaii khee to me.

I doubt the "test" will be any arduous affair. Ride a circuit somewhere, stop where you're supposed to. Signal when you're supposed to. Don't put your feet down to steady yourself in a certain section. Ride back to the start. Pay 200 baht testing fee and get your certificate. Then go to the DLT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The latest plan is to prohibit anyone with a congenital disease (roke prajam tua) from driving. 

Well, that should elimanate 90% of the population from driving. By definition alone, congenital disease: a disease or disorder that is inherited genetically. Do you know how broad this list is?

The culture doesn’t take driving seriously and that is the fault of education (dmv) enforcement (police) and legal (lenient punishment)....

It is what it is....nothing but smoke screens and deflections to manage daily poor driving behaviors at a high level of frequency 

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

My only bi-tch (being an "older expat with a Harley") is that instead of one license with different endorsements (i.e. for car, scooter and big bike), you will end up with 3 separate licenses, one for each type. 
Why they can't simply use one license and then list the classes on it (like they do in Canada for example) instead of having to issue different licenses is beyond me. 

And the B.S. about diseases ? W.T.Freddie ? They don't care if every Somchai on the road right now has any kind of disease, what is the B.S. about big bike riders ? Sounds like a load of kwaii khee to me.

I doubt the "test" will be any arduous affair. Ride a circuit somewhere, stop where you're supposed to. Signal when you're supposed to. Don't put your feet down to steady yourself in a certain section. Ride back to the start. Pay 200 baht testing fee and get your certificate. Then go to the DLT.

They have one license (ID) in America also with all types of vehicles we are qualified to drive except pilots license, thats separate.

There is plenty of danger and power in 350cc bikes. Can easily reach speeds of more than 150 km/h. Even the old Hondas, SL 350 and XL 350 could do that - and those were basically enduro bikes with lights and a horn, not street bikes.

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

It's an incorrect translation. "Roke prajam tua" (โรคประจำตัว) is chronic disease, not congenital. 

Well then there would be no diabetics allowed to drive then now would there, as well as those who have had a heart attack but have a stent or such, or a pacemaker.  No congenital is what it is, born with seizures, epilepsy and other things that can cause an accident without proper treatment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Xonax said:

What about preventing the many children and people without a licence from driving motorcycles.

I've seen someone that shouldn't be driving look like 10 yr, people with kids in one arm, cig in the other hand. The bigger bikes should normally drive the road (xpressway). They have to get at least all motorized bikes OFF THE SIDEWALK! they have pipes in the sidewalk in front of the Government building by us, in a few temples, but had the Pharmacy take theirs out. Sidewalks are what they mean to walk NOT RIDE along side of the road. Follow Motorizied rules, the asphalt is your road to your destination! People walk on sidewalks....

1 minute ago, jmacken306 said:

I've seen someone that shouldn't be driving look like 10 yr, people with kids in one arm, cig in the other hand. The bigger bikes should normally drive the road (xpressway). They have to get at least all motorized bikes OFF THE SIDEWALK! they have pipes in the sidewalk in front of the Government building by us, in a few temples, but had the Pharmacy take theirs out. Sidewalks are what they mean to walk NOT RIDE along side of the road. Follow Motorizied rules, the asphalt is your road to your destination! People walk on sidewalks....

They also need bicycle lanes and keep those off the sidewalks as well as the skateboarders

11 hours ago, Xonax said:

What about preventing the many children and people without a licence from driving motorcycles.

well... driving license in Thailand is same than no license in fact. Should first increase the lesson and the difficulty to select the people who can really drive safe and the people who are unable to learn, understand or respect anything.

Much more important for there own population than COVID panic.

Edited by jerolamo

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

and driving under the influence of drugs!!!

4 trips to transport dept so far to re new my license, go to embassy to get proof of residency, embassy dont do that! Go to Immigration in Sathorn, they dont do that, go to big immigration out way past Mo Chit, they dont do that, sent 20 minutes further out, ah your 90 day reports aren't done In Bangkok, we can't help you!!! INSANE BS!!! Paid my insurance then went for inspection, NO we can't inspect while you have a fixed crate on the back of the scooter for groceries !!!

I'm getting some black hair dye and some fake tan, maybe that will work.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why don't they make it over 400cc (or better yet, over 450cc).  But the current "400 cc" bikes seem to be just under:

Yamaha SR400 - 399 cc

Kawasaki Ninja 400/Z400 - 399 cc

Honda CB400/CBR400 - 399 cc

Suzuki DR-Z400 - 398 cc

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Why don't they make it over 400cc (or better yet, over 450cc).  But the current "400 cc" bikes seem to be just under:

Yamaha SR400 - 399 cc

Suzuki DR-Z400 - 398 cc

So they aren't big bikes. But I can assure you, any one of them can be extremely dangerous in the hands of an unqualified or impaired driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Yamaha SR400 - 399 cc

Suzuki DR-Z400 - 398 cc

They're jolly cunning them Japanese. They also have a 400cc limit over which costs rocket. And its been like that for years - the original 'crotch rockets' of the 80s were often 400cc Japanese domestic bikes exported to the US, UK etc. The VFR Hondas could top 125mph easily (and they still do).

A lot of countries now use power output rather than cc, hence new bikes tend to be up to 11kw, 20kw, 35kw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

They're jolly cunning them Japanese. They also have a 400cc limit over which costs rocket. And its been like that for years - the original 'crotch rockets' of the 80s were often 400cc Japanese domestic bikes exported to the US, UK etc. The VFR Hondas could top 125mph easily (and they still do).

A lot of countries now use power output rather than cc, hence new bikes tend to be up to 11kw, 20kw, 35kw.

Yep.  Years back when the limits started, 400 cc may have been 25 HP, then crept up to maybe 45 or more.  Top speeds anywhere from 90 to 125 MPH. 

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Weird that they scapegoat those with congenital disease, but the much bigger problem is drink, no helmet, no licence, speeding, how about law enforcement?

These all come under the category called - - Charitable donations, and are non taxable 

400cc is a big bike???thats a mini bike compared to what im used to that beeing said a Honda 50 is fast enough to get you killed if you are stupid education and consequences is the key not bike size imo

16 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Many older expats with big bikes like Harleys or by the way any bike over 400cc won't be very happy, some have driven big bikes most of their lives and now they're going to have to pass I don't know what kind of ridiculous test! ???? 

There may not be a test at all. I don't know how they treat citizens of other countries but my UK licence was accepted when I obtained my Thai car and bike licences - just the usual colour blindness and reaction time tests to do + the 100 baht medical certificate. Provided you have a valid bike licence that covers you for a bike over 400cc from your home country, I can't see why this should be any different.  If it is, not really a problem.

Edited by KhaoYai

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Still amazing that a near non existing tutoring session/office yard test allows you to drive motorbikes up to 400ccm.

Even a "teenage bike" (Honda Wave/Click etc) can easily make up to a 100 km/h (~60 mph).

Compare that to rules in a nanny state (like Germany).

Is lack of sufficient brain cells considered to be a disease?

• Like 2