Can anyone refer a good immigration lawyer?

Hey peeps, longtime lurker, first-time poster here. I'm actually posting for my companion who's looking for some help. Here's her message:

"Hey all, I'm looking for a reputable and affordable lawyer who is able to give sound advice about transferring my tourist visa to a non-B visa. I'm a certified teacher who's lost out on a few legitimate job offers from international schools in Bangkok. They tell me there is nothing they can do with an expired tourist visa/tourist visa on amnesty/auto-extension, and so I need someone who understands the current situation and can provide definitive legal advice concerning my options. Thanks in advance for any help!"

Feel free to PM me with any tips or referrals, I'll pass them on to her.

Thanks!

Edited by WhateverDude

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You might want to ask the schools to check with immigration in Bangkok now. I think they are accepting the applications now.

They added this to the main page of their website. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/

image.png.7c02bdbb6911c8e49a7802161df440be.png

It goes to the page that lists all categories of non immigrant visa  applications.

Thanks for the quick response! ????

The page says "The application must be submit more than 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted."

Do they consider being on amnesty to September 26 the same as before visa expires (so ok to submit up to say September 10? Assuming no prior overstays otherwise anyone on amnesty would not meet the criteria.

23 minutes ago, orchidlady said:

Do they consider being on amnesty to September 26 the same as before visa expires (so ok to submit up to say September 10? Assuming no prior overstays otherwise anyone on amnesty would not meet the criteria.

There have been reports of the applications being accepted under the amnesty. You would need to do the application 15 days before September 26th. 

42 minutes ago, orchidlady said:

The page says "The application must be submit more than 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted."

As far as we're being told by at least some people, it's not an amnesty, but an automatic extension of the visa. So technically, her visa is still in force. But there is a lot of confusion on the matter and some of the schools she has interviewed with seem to think otherwise. This is one of the reasons that she wants to talk to a decent lawyer who can clarify this all out for her.

Edited by WhateverDude

11 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

What makes you think a lawyer knows any more than resident expert UbonJoe?

It may not just be a matter of knowledge. A good, well connected Thai immigration lawyer can often break through obstructionism by the officials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It may not just be a matter of knowledge. A good, well connected Thai immigration lawyer can often break through obstructionism by the officials.

And you know they are well connected because they tell you right?

Don't you know who my father is?

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

And you know they are well connected because they tell you right?

Don't you know who my father is?

That is a key reason why the OP is looking for recommendations. It is very difficult to evaluate an immigration lawyer just based on what you can find easily online.

I heard Grace from TVC is "free" again and ready for service. ????

Kidding aside, not sure if a lawyer can really do a lot more here than an agent.

Worst case an agent can bribe you out of the situation you're in [and passes the fee on to the customer]. Something a legitimate lawyer isn't going to do.

The school can apply for the visa change now since there have been modifications made to the regulation. The HR department should know this if the school is any good.