Open letter to the tourism authority and the Thai government

rooster59

8 minutes ago, nev said:

Well those that have been given positions that they are not qualified for have no real idea how to manage their portfolios, The health minister for example has gone quiet instead of being on top of this situation and updating the public each day about his current plans.

He might have the title of Health Minister but I am sure some else will be ‘writing’ his speeches, 

1 hour ago, WhateverDude said:

Nope. Been on forums for decades now, long before they went mainstream.

Nonetheless, the level of ignorance I see on them still never ceases to amaze me.  

oh well,  amaze is not such a bad thing.    much better than disgust, horrify, anger, or similar such

reactions.    feel free to post some of your insights here.... I am sure you will be amazed at some of

the responses.     

• Haha 2

What an embarrassing letter this is! So, it is almost a death sentence to live in Germany during winter time, right? And the second wave of Covid soon will decimate the population there soon. Wow! What a load of BS! 

I mean, if he likes to stay in Thailand, at least he should be honest and not lie about his home country and talk frankly about his real motivations. With this BS, he blames at the same time all Europeans for beeing a danger to Thailand, because they are and will be the people who will bring back Covid to Thailand. And the flu. 

But after this letter he likely will be allowed to stay longer. Possibly he will get a side job from the Thai propaganda ministry to write about dirty and dangerous Western countries and the dirtly farang people there. Let's help to cultivate Thai xenophobia Mr. Stoever! Or does he have this job already?

Vielen Dank Herr Stoeber, for helping to keep out European of Thailand for another 6 months at least!

Idiot!

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oznomad said:

Keeping it at the most simple level - what does Thailand have to lose by extending the amnesty for 6 months?

Ask all those in the tourism industry , hotels , cleaners , taxis , restaurants, bars etc . They might tell you ????

9 hours ago, YetAnother said:

this thai government are far from friends of non thais, quite the opposite, they want us gone; less than zero empathy for logic such as in this letter

So how do you explain two extended blanket amnesties that are more generous than anywhere else in the region as far as I can tell?

Want us gone?  

You should change you user name to YetAnotherWithAChipOnHisShoulder.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I was under the impression that medical experts say that herd immunity is always attained eventually, sometimes aided by vaccines sometimes naturally and they also seem to suggest that lockdowns and any other measures people take merely slow the time it takes to reach herd immunity but they all seem to agree that it's next to impossible to stop herd immunity from being reached.Have the studies you mentioned been peer reviewed and do have any links to them? 

I have, but they are not in English. Let me google... I'm sure they copied it from somewhere. It is a news site from Europe that published that...

Here's the first one: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/201473/covid-19-linked-increase-type-diabetes-children/

In it is link to Imperial College London study of it.

Second link: https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-patient-autopsies-show-blood-clots-in-almost-every-organ-pathologist-says

I forgot what else I should search for... But Google will help find the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

I didnt suggest that lock-downs were better .

Read this report from Sweden 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53498133

Yeah fair call and my bad for suggesting you did so I'll withdraw that ill thought out erroneous assumption.Now I'll take your advice and sit back and watch the death toll continue to rise.????

30 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I have, but they are not in English. Let me google... I'm sure they copied it from somewhere. It is a news site from Europe that published that...

Here's the first one: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/201473/covid-19-linked-increase-type-diabetes-children/

In it is link to Imperial College London study of it.

Second link: https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-patient-autopsies-show-blood-clots-in-almost-every-organ-pathologist-says

I forgot what else I should search for... But Google will help find the rest.

Thanks for those they are indeed an eye opener.

• Like 1

Germany has had 9,000 virus related deaths. Almost all of those in the first few months of the pandemic. Credit to them for getting the virus under control. Since mid-June infections have flatlined near zero. I don't see the urgent need the letter writer sees.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AbeNormal said:

well they should tell people now instead of waiting until the 11th hour after many would have already left or booked very expensive flights, I see a difference almost daily and know of quite a few that have left these last 10 days 

I don't quite understand the thinking, they are crying out for tourists and yet are forcing those already here and willing to stay to leave, hard to make any sense of that unless all they want are a stupid few that will come and pay bt10,000 a night in a quarantine hotel 

Uhh, they have already told you, be prepared to leave on the 26th September if you don`t have a visa or a letter from your embassy stating a reason for exemption, could it be any clearer? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nickstav said:

Germany has had 9,000 virus related deaths. Almost all of those in the first few months of the pandemic. Credit to them for getting the virus under control. Since mid-June infections have flatlined near zero. I don't see the urgent need the letter writer sees.

This guy promotes his own interests on cost of hundreds and thousands foreigners who like to go back to Thailand. Cultivating the panic among Thais towards Europe and Europeans. Everywhere in Europe the infections have flatened near zero, compared to before. This guys mindset is disgusting!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure about that, Cambodia charge $300/year, stay as long as you like, no difficult paperwork or visits to immigration.

Right, that may be the normal thing for long termers.  Did they give a blanket amnesty to tourists who were stuck in the country on a one month tourist visa?  Are those tourists still there with no worries several months later?

14 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Not according to this report 15,952 new cases reported between July 16th to August 18th, 6433 cases from people returning from overseas

https://newsabc.net/spain-croatia-turkey-where-germans-get-infected-with-corona/

20 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Uhh, they have already told you, be prepared to leave on the 26th September if you don`t have a visa or a letter from your embassy stating a reason for exemption, could it be any clearer? 

I thought that was immigration's message, not the govt who actually decide the policy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Germany is doing an interesting experiment now - about how the infections spread, by organising a concert attended by 1500 volunteers, who will be monitored for the spread...

https://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/inhalt.konzert-von-tim-bendzko-mal-kurz-kultur-und-sport-retten-corona-experiment-in-leipzig.f5d66f51-7f14-4fae-b89d-406fb3920395.html

Sorry, I don't have English version available, but Google Chrome's translate option can help. I'm really interested to see what the results would be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RR2020 said:

Thailand has a massive problem.

There will be no vaccine.   This virus will be around for years to come.

Rather than take the first wave, like many countries around the world have, Thailand has shut down.

Thailand can never open again, for it has to suffer the 1st wave.........avoiding the 1st wave is great if you have a vaccine, and if no vaccine it is utter stupidity.

FACT

The median age of death from Covid 19 worldwide is HIGHER than the average life expectancy of a human being.

Let that fact sink in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great logic. Now all you have to do is convince everybody here over 60 to sacrifice themselves to get Thailand thru the first wave. 

You need to mention exactly how that benefits them or Thailand though. 

Let that sink in. 

26 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I thought that was immigration's message, not the govt who actually decide the policy.

If people want to wait for another version I guess it`s up to them, time is running short to acquire any visa and flights will be filling up and seats getting more expensive, everyone knows the risks of overstay.

According to the officials, the extension of Thai visa amnesty would give foreigners sufficient time to extend their Thailand visas or organize their return to their home country as Thailand eases restrictions in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. Foreigners whose visas expired after March 26, 2020, will not be charged 500 baht per day for overstaying. However, if they will not get an extension and will still be in the country after September 26, they risk legal actions and being blacklisted. Thai immigration urged foreigners to contact their offices as soon as possible to prepare their next moves and avoid overcrowding as the September 26 deadline approaches. The granting of a short-stay visa will be done on a case-by-case basis.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Germany is doing an interesting experiment now - about how the infections spread, by organising a concert attended by 1500 volunteers, who will be monitored for the spread...

https://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/inhalt.konzert-von-tim-bendzko-mal-kurz-kultur-und-sport-retten-corona-experiment-in-leipzig.f5d66f51-7f14-4fae-b89d-406fb3920395.html

Sorry, I don't have English version available, but Google Chrome's translate option can help. I'm really interested to see what the results would be.

A laudable, sensible approach. Compare this to the hysteria in Thailand when maybe one single person might be infected. So much paraboia in thsi country.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thailand would benefit from issuing a long-term special 'Covid-19 Visa' (perhaps 6 months, renewable for a fee) in many ways.

It would keep the few visitors (and their money) that are already here, and thus virus-free, at a time when the Thai tourism industry is under deep, heavy strain.

it would be an international 'Goodwill' gesture that would allow Thailand to brag globally.

While not a huge element, it would keep some money flowing in tourist areas.

It would engender 'goodwill' among all visitors, and that goodwill would certainly be shown across social media platforms in the native countries.

It would demonstrate that Thailand can manage tourism at a time when it is trying to re-open its tourism business.

The only people that really want to expel the visitors already in-country are those that use form-filling as a mental image when they are... er... flying solo.

Will Thailand do it? I have my doubts, but it should.

Yep, just charge a fee for each period...bit of a money spinner and keeps money being spent in country...too simple really

41 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

The numbers are slightly growing in Europe now, but R0 is still around 1, whereas in March/April it was around 4. The situation now is completely different to before, and it is under control in Europe. Nobody thinks about a new lockdown anymore. People are free to move around.

But, as good governments are, in Europe the governments are alert, and guide the people in reasonable way, without creating panic and paranoia as it is the case in Thailand.

Thailand is relatively safe regarding Covid, but differently to Europe the official numbers are fake, and Europe is not less safe then Thailand. Not at all.

It would appear according to this report published 2 days ago that there are regional and local lockdowns across the whole of Europe , in addition most European countries are advising  non-essential travel to a number of countries in Europe, When a Goverment issues this type of warning it normally means that your travel insurance is null and void if you choose to travel and ignore the Goverment advice given.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53640249

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It would appear according to this report published 2 days ago that there are regional and local lockdowns across the whole of Europe , in addition most European countries are advising  non-essential travel to a number of countries in Europe, When a Goverment issues this type of warning it normally means that your travel insurance is null and void if you choose to travel and ignore the Goverment advice given.

Thailand is currently on the exemption list of non essential travel so Travel Insurance would currently be available.

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I agree with European governments to be on alert and to react accordingly and specificly to the source of the problem.

But I do not agree to Thailands way of lying and censoring the numbers, of testing very little, of assigning deaths to other causes and of creating panic whenever possible, only to impress the people of the faked performance of this government and the untrue bad performance of the rest of the world. In fact the numbers of other countries are mostly true and transparent, Thailands numbers are not.

Most areas in Europe are free for travel as not severely risky, and Thailand should do the same, to help its people to economically survive the crisis.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1