Are flights still being cancelled

jaffas21

A quick look at skyscanner shows flights running from thailand to the UK in september with etihad, qatar and lufhansa, klm, finnair among others.

So is it a safe bet to book with these airlines at the end of the next month and are they generally leaving the airport as advertised? Does anyone know? Id expect these flights to get busier as we approach end of september.

Does anyone know if these flights have been leaving recently. I guess some airline buff might be able to provide that information.

thanks if anyone knows.

and do we need a clear covid test to even get on a flight to return to the UK?

Edited by jaffas21
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

however ,  remember these are unusual times so you buy a ticket at your own risk.

,,, from one of the many airlines that have a desperate need for cash at this time, and will say anything to get you to give them some.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allane said:

,,, from one of the many airlines that have a desperate need for cash at this time, and will say anything to get you to give them some.

yes .... i'm still trying to recover a large amount from AAGo ...  already got AA refund, only took 6 months, and now have to get the other half refund from AAGo ... what BS is that  !!  I will never be buying AA or AAGo again. They are all sc_m and use your money to keep their business afloat as long as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

So is it a safe bet to book with these airlines at the end of the next month and are they generally leaving the airport as advertised? Does anyone know? Id expect these flights to get busier as we approach end of september.

Take the flight numbers from skyscanner and enter them into flightradar24 or similar and you'll see their recent history.  It doesn't tell you if they've been carrying passengers or not, but I've read reports from all the ones you mention except Etihad that confirm they are.  I'm sure Etihad are too just I've not read any reports.  Here's QR837 showing it's daily record from BKK to Doha.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qr837

• Like 2

The risk of cancellation has not only one, but two aspects:
1.) the flight gets cancelled, or
2.) the flight will take place, but your ticket will be cancelled.

Concerning risk #2, you may have noticed the recent headlines about flights with a fully booked business class and a nearly empty economy class, just because the airline seems to encourage (i.e. force) their customers buying one of the expensive tickets:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/13/accc-investigates-complaints-about-airlines-flying-to-australia-during-covid-19

(flights to Australia may be an extreme case, but airlines operating flights to UK/Europe may also be tempted to squeeze as much money out of you as possible in the current situation)

Edited by Nakdontree
(added link)

Yeah i was looking at etihad and couldnt decide if they wanted a covid test to fly to the UK or just to go to the UAE. Id rather not get a covid test considering there arent any real cases here at all. Expense wise thats for sure. When its largely pointless. Does anyone know which airlines are asking for it from thailand?  Refund wise id just use a uk credit card so id get it one way or another. 

Edited by jaffas21

Very few flights are canceled. Maybe one of the 15 - 30 daily international departures ex-BKK?

People looking at flight boards are seeing flights which have been removed from the airlines' operations, but remain in these remote systems. Then they show as 'canceled'. And they show the codeshares, which multiplies the 'appearance' of massive cancellations.

I continue to recommend Qatar Airways, they have at least one daily BKK-DOH, often two or three, and two dailies DOH-LHR. ~ 15,000 all in. Don't wait.

QR does not require a COVID-19 negative test if originating in Thailand. As of today. 

You could go to Suvarnabhumi today/tonight and depart at 02:10 (Tuesday, 25 August) on QR 837, connecting to QR 003 (2 hr connection at DOH is fine) and be in London for lunch. 14,900 all in.

Qatar has the best refund/reschedule/voucher program out there. They've been flying more than anyone during the pandemic.

Can't comment on the U.K. entry requirements but that should be easy to find.

The BA flights (BA 9 and 10) are cargo only, AFAIK.

There ha been an Eva flight, direct, non-stop BKK-LHR, once a week. Direct, non-stop flights will be more expensive.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 2

This is what I’m hearing you book your economy seat and pay for it two days before you fly you get notified no economy seats you have to upgrade to business class meaning another huge additional cost to you. The airlines have got you by the ???????????? I hear Qatar who I always use are one of the culprits the other day they sent me one of there promotions on a one way trip to Manchester UK economy 17,000+ baht Business 47,000+ baht

Edited by crazykopite

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

some are operating and some get cancelled ....  yes you may require Covid19 clearance to board. 

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

EXAMPLE :

image.png.066f757b979115c88e29f9410f89a208.png

There's no Covid-19 test needed to leave the country. If an airplane "would" ask for something it would be a fit-to-fly certificate, which is not same thing. 

20 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

Yeah i was looking at etihad and couldnt decide if they wanted a covid test to fly to the UK or just to go to the UAE. Id rather not get a covid test considering there arent any real cases here at all. Expense wise thats for sure. When its largely pointless. Does anyone know which airlines are asking for it from thailand?  Refund wise id just use a uk credit card so id get it one way or another. 

There's no need for a Covid-19 test when leaving Thailand. For example Lufthansa,KLM, Finnair, Qatar and EVA Air have flights out of Thailand every week. Qatar via Doha is very reliable imo when it comes to refunds and change of flights etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

This is what I’m hearing you book your economy seat and pay for it two days before you fly you get notified no economy seats you have to upgrade to business class meaning another huge additional cost to you. The airlines have got you by the ???????????? I hear Qatar who I always use are one of the culprits the other day they sent me one of there promotions on a one way trip to Manchester UK economy 17,000+ baht Business 47,000+ baht

How can they sell you an economy seat and then tell you you haven't got one? Must be some law/rule against this even in these utterly bizarre times?

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There's no need for a Covid-19 test when leaving Thailand.

Yes, but...

Some airlines do require it. Qatar does, but not for Thailand. Emirates does for any country of origin. Etihad too.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/08/09/qatar-airways-requires-covid-19-rt-pcr-test-from-more-destinations-effective-august-13-2020/

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/flying-to-and-from-dubai/tourists-travelling-to-dubai/

https://www.etihad.com/en-th/travel-updates/covid-19

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

This is what I’m hearing

You're hearing this from where, exactly?

3 minutes ago, gmmarvin said:

My Son's, return EVA flight for mid October, Seattle to Chiang Mai was cancelled last week.

Unless it was an Embassy (or MFA) arranged Repatriation flight any flight landing in Thailand with passengers is not permitted under the Emergency Decree. 

There are still plenty of aircraft landing in Thailand, but without passengers (they are arriving with cargo) and departing with passengers. 

Its stage that an Airline will cancel a flight that far in advance though - it's possible the Emergency Decree is lifted before that and flights with passengers who meet specific requirements can enter Thailand. 

11 minutes ago, gmmarvin said:

My Son's, return EVA flight for mid October, Seattle to Chiang Mai was cancelled last week.

In all honesty, that flight(s) was canceled ages ago, they just waited to tell you. They had daily service, now only 3 per week.

Is your son Thai? If so this flight wouldn't meet the repat requirements. QR, CX or KE only for now.

If he's not Thai he couldn't fly anyway, right?

Eva (BR) does fly SEA-TPE three times per week (Tu Th Sa), and TPE-BKK 3 times per week (ups to daily in Nov).

Edited by mtls2005

14 minutes ago, keithcresswell said:

I was booked on Eva Air for Friday 18th September.

Routing? Start of trip? Or midway though a trip? 

Sounds like Eva loaded a new schedule, which resulted in cancellations, which leads to automated notifications?

The refund is good news, assuming that's what you wanted or requested? Did you ask for a refund?

Did you want to fly?

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

How can they sell you an economy seat and then tell you you haven't got one? Must be some law/rule against this even in these utterly bizarre times?

Airlines have always done this (overselling) as there were inevitably no-shows and this allowed them to maximise seat occupancy.  Historically though, it did not result in forcing you to pay for a Business Class ticket so I expect there's more to this story.

My flight with FIN AIR for 28th September was cancelled last week. They also said that all flights for August and September had been cancelled. I applied for a refund and was informed that this could take at least 8 weeks! Finding a way to cancel the booking and request a refund was not easy - you need to find a page on the website with a blue Chat link. 

9 minutes ago, Tony Doc said:

My flight with FIN AIR for 28th September was cancelled last week. They also said that all flights for August and September had been cancelled. I applied for a refund and was informed that this could take at least 8 weeks! Finding a way to cancel the booking and request a refund was not easy - you need to find a page on the website with a blue Chat link. 

Was that a flight to Bangkok or from Bangkok?

12 minutes ago, Tony Doc said:

My flight with FIN AIR for 28th September was cancelled last week. They also said that all flights for August and September had been cancelled.

Yeah. Details. BKK-HEL? 

AY 142 left this morning bound for HEL, currently over Uzbehkistan. Looks like four weekly flights.

BKK-HEL on 28 Sep shows as available. No flight on the 29th.

Or were you schedule to fly HEL-BKK?

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Airlines have always done this (overselling) as there were inevitably no-shows and this allowed them to maximise seat occupancy.  Historically though, it did not result in forcing you to pay for a Business Class ticket so I expect there's more to this story.

Yea heard of overselling, but the other bit I concur.

1 hour ago, Tony Doc said:

I got a refund from Fin Air, you will get yours.