Thai Drivers License - Do you take a test?

Thomas J

Tried to post this in the motor forum but it would not allow me to post there. 

Getting information in Thailand is like trying to nail jello to a wall.  Question I have a USA drivers license. I have an appointment. Do I have to prepare for some form of written test?  I think I have to watch a video and take an eye test. Is there any thing else? Some say no written test others say there is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Theory (multiple choice on test computer) and driving test are not required for conversion from foreign/international license.

I think depens again office where you go! But this test i mean.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I changed from 2yr temp licence to 5yr yesterday at Pattaya all the paperwork as mentioned before checked, then did colour,depth perception and brake reaction passed those paid my 500 Bhatt and received licence less than 2 hours in total. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Having to do theory and driving test means that your foreign license was not accepted.

You did the complete procedure like doing from scratch.

In some cases it might be easier to do so to avoid bureaucratic hassle with translating/legalizing foreign license. International permits (1968 convention) from many countries are not accepted.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Having to do theory and driving test means that your foreign license was not accepted.

You did the complete procedure like doing from scratch.

In some cases it might be easier to do so to avoid bureaucratic hassle with translating/legalizing foreign license. International permits (1968 convention) from many countries are not accepted.

wrong, it was accepted.

I hold a full European and International licence.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

No true.

I have a valid European and International driving licence and had to do a test.

Test was ridiculous but I had to do one and see a video of 1 hour or more (don't remember).

I had UK driving license. I didn't have to do the driving part, or watch the VDO, but I had to do everything else.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I had UK driving license. I didn't have to do the driving part, or watch the VDO, but I had to do everything else.

I just did the breaking part, vision test and watch a video.

No theoretical test or test on the road.

5 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I just did mine in Chiang Rai last week, it was my 4th 5 year licence renewal and it was a week after the licence expired on my birthday. Arrived at 9am armed with all the necessary docs, After the document check. I was sent for a vision test. It was in 3 parts, firstly a distance check reading letters off a chart across the room, followed by a colour vision test, just reading the coloured circles that the lady pointed out from a chart, then onto a peripheral vision test, looking straight ahead, stating what colour light I could see at either side of me. Another wait and then watch an hour long video in English. That was followed by a paper containing questions about the video content. It was then lunchtime and everything stopped. After lunch there was a power cut which lasted about 45 minutes. Once power was restored I submitted the results of eye test and questionnaire etc and paid the 550 baht fee. I was then sent for a practical driving test in my own car. From the start of the course I was instructed to drive into a channel marked with flags stop and then reverse out, do a 3 point turn and round the course to a hump backed bridge, stop on the incline and then do a hill start, continued around the course observing stop signs etc and then stop and reverse park into a designated area, pull out and back to the start and collect the pass paper. Then back to the main office handed in the paper and went to have my photo taken and receive my licence. Left there at 2pm, good for another 6 years. It was the first time I had done the full monty, one of the staff told me that they are not officially singling out the elderly, but . . .

Very good report Dude !

This seems like something new, normally a 5 year renewal would just be the eyesight/colour blind related tests. Wonder if there are anymore reports of having to do the “ full monty “ at other locations ??

Please , make sure you mention having to do the video/written and driving test in further reports to avoid confusion ( just saying “ i did a test “ doesn’t help ) .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Requirements to Apply for a Thailand Driving License

-Medical Certificate. You can get this at just about any hospital or clinic. ... 

-Residence Certificate or Work Permit. ... (Residence Certificate from IO.)

-Passport. ... 

-Valid Driving License or International Driving Permit. ... (don't know whitch one valid, International for sure!)

-Thailand Driving License Application Form.

Whit valid International licence , no test's!

I D P is merely a translation of your foreign licence and is invalid without the latter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

wrong, it was accepted.

No such thing as an International Licence. An International Driving Permit is merely a tranlation of your European licence and without that it is invalid/useless.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:
1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Requirements to Apply for a Thailand Driving License

-Medical Certificate. You can get this at just about any hospital or clinic. ... 

-Residence Certificate or Work Permit. ... (Residence Certificate from IO.)

-Passport. ... 

-Valid Driving License or International Driving Permit. ... (don't know whitch one valid, International for sure!)

-Thailand Driving License Application Form.

Whit valid International licence , no test's!

No true.

I have a valid European and International driving licence and had to do a test.

Test was ridiculous but I had to do one and see a video of 1 hour or more (don't remember).

Thats not a Physical Driving test, its just vision and reaction checks. 

OP - for the purposes of clarity and to avoid some of the semantics regarding the word ’test’... 

Here is exactly what you need: 

- Existing Driving Licence (USA - its in English so no need for IDP) - +Photo Copies

- Proof of Address* 

- Photo Copy of Passport 

- Medical Certificate (from any nearby clinic - tell them its for a driving licence)

*Proof of Address: Affirmation of Residence document from your Embassy / Proof of Address from Immigration (if you have done a 90 day report recently) / Yellow Tabien Baan (house book). Work Permit only works if it has your address in it (latest Work Permits do not have your address and are not accepted). 

You will not need to do a ‘physical' driving test or a Theoretical Driving test (multiple choice questions)

You will need to follow instructions at the DLT (you’ll be given a number) and queue before going into a room and carrying out some minor tests (Colour Blindness, Peripheral Vision (with colours), Proximity (two sticks) and reaction Tests), you will then queue again before going into a room and watching a driving video (very basic - 45-50mins long). 

Then you will queue again, pay for your licence, then go to another booth, have your photo taken and pick up your licence a few mins later. 

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I D P is merely a translation of your foreign licence and is invalid without the latter.

MY International Driving licence was Thai language! In Finland you get it Thai language if you want. And Finnish licence also is both English and Finnish! I also get motorbike licence even don't have in licence what i show. Only pay fee!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

wrong, it was accepted.

You don’t have a valid international licence. There is no such thing.

You may have an international driving permit 

If you had an IDP then you should not have needed to do either the theory or driving test but as everyone you needed to do the reaction and colour blind tests, you probably also had to watch the video 

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

MY International Driving licence was Thai language! In Finland you get it Thai language if you want.

You do not have an international Driving licence it doesn’t matter which language it’s written in it doesn’t exist 

If you got a document from your national driving organisation it is an IDP and is only valid with your local (Fin) driving licence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

MY International Driving licence was Thai language! In Finland you get it Thai language if you want.

The official languages on a genuine IDP are English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian, Swedish & Portuguese. 

There is no such thing as an International Driving LICENCE, but fake documents saying they are, are available.

I posted this before Woodworker posted, the correct information.

Edited by stouricks

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You don’t have a valid international licence. There is no such thing.

You may have an international driving permit 

If you had an IDP then you should not have needed to do either the theory or driving test but as everyone you needed to do the reaction and colour blind tests, you probably also had to watch the video 

If your driving licence from your home country is in English an IDP (which is basically a translation of your Driving Licence according to the 1968 Vienna convention) is not required*

*Caveat: This is Thailand !!! - Requirements may alter slightly from DLT office to DLT office, however, the DLT tends to be fairly consistent (with the exception of acceptable of Yellow House Book for proof of address, there are reports that DLT Pattaya doesn’t accept this). 

Thus: The OP ‘should’ be fine with his USA Driving Licence and still not need to carry out the Physical (driven) driving test or Theoretical (Multiple Choice) test. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Getting information in Thailand is like trying to nail jello to a wall.  Question I have a USA drivers license. I have an appointment. Do I have to prepare for some form of written test?  I think I have to watch a video and take an eye test. Is there any thing else? Some say no written test others say there is. 

DLT.GO.TH0CD260E0-57BB-447E-B02D-5CCBB557CC78.thumb.jpeg.da69d2689037e5d46f515297401628fa.jpeg

note the creative usage of English ???? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:
14 minutes ago, stouricks said:

MY International Driving licence was Thai language! In Finland you get it Thai language if you want. And Finnish licence also is both English and Finnish! 

Its still an IDP and only valid when accompanied by your home driving licence. 

The IDP is a translation of your home licence not a licence in itself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You do not have an international Driving licence it doesn’t matter which language it’s written in it doesn’t exist 

If you got a document from your national driving organisation it is an IDP and is only valid with your local (Fin) driving licence.

Yes i know that ! But i think was more easy to haddle Thai licence in office! In Finland we call that licence anyway but know need have national licence whit!

14 minutes ago, stouricks said:

The official languages on a genuine IDP are English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian, Swedish & Portuguese. 

There is no such thing as an International Driving LICENCE, but fake documents saying they are, are available.

I posted this before Woodworker posted, the correct information.

That is 1968 permit what is not valid Thailand!

Kansainvälisten ajokorttien kielet

Genevessä 1949

1949 mallin mukainen kansainvälinen ajokortti on voimassa yhden vuoden myöntämis/leimauspäivästä.  Ajokortin kielikäännökset ovat: ruotsi, englanti, venäjä, kiina, arabia, portugali, espanja, japani, hindi, korea, thai sekä ranska.

Google translate that if want. but can get Thai language so dont post false !

Edited by 2 is 1

12 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yes i know that ! But i think was more easy to haddle Thai licence in office! In Finland we call that licence anyway but know need have national licence whit!

That is where confusion exists or starts. There are some countries which do not use the correct term even on the document itself. 

There are also people selling a document that claims to be an international licence, it is a fake. As there is no valid international licence.

The only legal documents are the 2 versions of the IDP which translates your national licence, is usually limited to 1 year life and is only accepted by insurance companies if you have been in Thailand for less than 90 days.

The RTP may accept it for longer 

But if you have a fruit that the skin is yellow, it’s often/usually curved and has a white/pale yellow inside, you can call it a coconut, jackfruit or orange but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a banana ???????????? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is where confusion exists or starts. There are some countries which do not use the correct term even on the document itself. 

But if you have a fruit that the skin is yellow, it’s often/usually curved and has a white/pale yellow inside, you can call it a coconut, jackfruit or orange but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a banana 

but being curved doesn't necessarily mean, it's a banana or a fruit at all. 555

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

MY International Driving licence was Thai language! In Finland you get it Thai language if you want. And Finnish licence also is both English and Finnish! I also get motorbike licence even don't have in licence what i show. Only pay fee!

So you have an (invalid) International Drivers License. No legal value at all.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

But if you have a fruit that the skin is yellow, it’s often/usually curved and has a white/pale yellow inside, you can call it a coconut, jackfruit or orange but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a banana ???????????? 

Hope nobody need learn Finnish ever lol. One most difficult language in world!