Thai Drivers License - Do you take a test?

Thomas J

12 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

That is 1968 permit what is not valid Thailand!

Kansainvälisten ajokorttien kielet

Genevessä 1949

1949 mallin mukainen kansainvälinen ajokortti on voimassa yhden vuoden myöntämis/leimauspäivästä.  Ajokortin kielikäännökset ovat: ruotsi, englanti, venäjä, kiina, arabia, portugali, espanja, japani, hindi, korea, thai sekä ranska.

Google translate that if want. but can get Thai language so dont post false !

I cant be bothered to translate it, but I read that both 1968 and 1949 convention IDPs are acceptable in THailand. 

Just now, stevenl said:

So you have an (invalid) International Drivers License. No legal value at all.

So try explain why invalid? Have been court here whit that and was valid there! So how much more valid need be?

Hmm... enough to me! You can get anykind you want! That was ok to me lol

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I cant be bothered to translate it, but I read that both 1968 and 1949 convention IDPs are acceptable in THailand. 

And false again 1968 is valid 3 years! And not valid here, but im not going to argue anymore so believe what you want!

I dont have enough "iron wire" to explain you ! I believe our Empassy and Automobile and Touring Club of Finland if it say its not valid! 

Edited by 2 is 1

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

wrong, it was accepted.

I hold a full European and International licence.

No such thing as an international licence, well not legally recognised anyways.

An International permit on the other hand............

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Having to do theory and driving test means that your foreign license was not accepted.

You did the complete procedure like doing from scratch.

In some cases it might be easier to do so to avoid bureaucratic hassle with translating/legalizing foreign license. International permits (1968 convention) from many countries are not accepted.

I was made believe by DLT that only 1949 convention is accepted.

Edited by tomazbodner

I did my bike And car 2 weeks ago ,,already had Thai bike and car license expired by three years ,had full U.K. car and bike license,had been onto their website and done the e learning process of 6 hours video followed by many multi choice questions,had certificate to say I completed all that.

Arrived at office and they wouldn’t accept anything I had said got to start again all day watching videos then 2 multi choice exams consisting 50 questions each,,,passed all that it was 4pm by then,they gave me two pieces of paper and told me come back next day and do practical driving and motorbike test,,next day passed both practical tests in 20 mins and got both licenses 5 years.

i never heard of anyone having to do all this before ,,,I think they had the hump because I let license expire for 3 years,,,they even said the e-learning certificate I obtained from there website was nothing to do with them and not from there website or system,,,lucky I was in a chilled mood that day and just went aloung with everything wasn’t that bad actually.

27 minutes ago, stouricks said:

DLT specifically told me only 1949, which is what is written on my international one (just translation of the original) license. But then again I didn't even know about 1968 convention else I'd ask. Surely it was never mentioned. Question was very direct - is it 1949 convention? If yes, no problem. If no, then I'd have to do all again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

DLT specifically told me only 1949, which is what is written on my international one (just translation of the original) license. But then again I didn't even know about 1968 convention else I'd ask. Surely it was never mentioned. Question was very direct - is it 1949 convention? If yes, no problem. If no, then I'd have to do all again.

Wikipedia (???) says that Thailand recognises both 49 & 68 IDPs. Another says only 49. Who knows, the Police?

Only if you had an accident the Insurance may not pay up if you had the 68 one.

I have a full valid British license for a Car and a motorcycle.

I'm going for my appointment in Phuket tomorrow.

All the documents have been stamped 3 weeks ago at the DLT.

With luck I won't have to do the Theory or Practical?

I've been trying to study a test online that has been translated by the looks of it by Google, well giving me a headache! 555

I just got my Thai Driver's License yesterday. No test or what so ever, just the traffic lights test when you pick up your form with the waiting number to pay for your Thai License. 

I showed them an Australian international driving license with the original driving license.

Please Note, for your check up from the hospital, make sure they use the new form (with 2 section) I had one with me that is only with one section, they didn't accepted it, (tho I just did it last week) had to do it again, wasted time and money.

• Like 1

Well this was insightful.  Given there are dozens of answers here it is obvious I am not the only one who questions exactly what is required.  It is my understanding that if you have a valid drivers license from another country it will be accepted provided it is in English. They will also accept an INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS PERMIT. There is no such thing as an INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENCE.  Strange when the clerk booked my appointment she said if I had the International permit my appointment would be in September but if I used the License it would be in October  So there must be something more involved.  Perhaps it is watching the video or perhaps taking some form of theoretical test.   You can easily see from all of the myriad of responses that there does not seem to be any concrete answer. 

th?id=OIP.epQLp_Ex9RoLgNq8D9sndAHaHQ&pid=Api&P=0&w=163&h=161 

Viewing some of the posts in this thread, there seems to be some concerns here with regard to the Theory/Practical driving tests here in Thailand. Believe me, if you already passed a driving test in your home country, then you really have nothing to be concerned about here. The said tests are almost a non event for western licence holders and, IMO, if you can't get through them, then you don't really need to be driving here. Forget being concerned about it. For sure they won't throw anything at you that you can't handle. Peace.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Requirements to Apply for a Thailand Driving License

-Medical Certificate. You can get this at just about any hospital or clinic. ... 

-Residence Certificate or Work Permit. ... (Residence Certificate from IO.)

-Passport. ... 

-Valid Driving License or International Driving Permit. ... (don't know whitch one valid, International for sure!)

-Thailand Driving License Application Form.

Whit valid International licence , no test's!

Fairly good list..  but often they will as Immi does, and other gov dept off supreme importance do - throw in an extra requirement to keep out the bad people as part of their most exhalted positions tasks.  I dont know about gaining a thai licence from an IDL (good idea if it works) but from my countries valid licence the centers BOSS said I would have to do all testing because there was a sticker covering the address (a temp address update applied by the authorities until the next renewal) It is not really about this or that , its just a way of prolonging your week..... enjoy your new highly prized licence when the underaged kids, no licence, no lights, no helmets but one wearing a facemask) crashes into you, ending with it being your fault....

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If your driving licence from your home country is in English an IDP (which is basically a translation of your Driving Licence according to the 1968 Vienna convention) is not required*

If what your saying is true why do they even issue international driving permits in the UK?

In Pattaya, i was also fined for not having one when stopped on a motorcycle of which i have a UK licence

I went for mine in Cha Am, the stupid woman behind the counter kept yelling my licence no good

Not in Thai

Wife tried to explain that English speaking countries don't use Thai language

20 minutes later dear wife fired up, made a volcanic eruption look peaceful

I only noticed the other day that my 5 year Thai driving licence had expired by almost one month and went to the Pranburi centre to renew it. They would not accept the document in my passport which verifies my address of some 14 years and told me that I needed to go to the IMO to obtain a certificate of residential status, so off to the main Hua-Hin IMO to obtain this on the other side of town out in the sticks (Why they built this here is anybody's guess - probably cheap land?).

Back to the Pranburi centre to bag the last place for the viewing of the 'training video'. The strange thing was that all of us who were waiting to see this video had to sit outside under an awning before being ushered in to watch the video which lasted about 45 minutes and was about as useful as a chocolate teapot; nothing about using indicators; nothing about using your mirrors; nothing about stopping at pedestrian crossings; basically 45 minutes of boring video with sub titles in English that were barely visible. Out into the main office to take a colour blindness test then sign a form that has your name and address and passport number on it and sit and then wait after handing over 505 Baht. Photo taken and wait for the licence to be issued. Strange thing is that my new licence is valid for 6 years not 5 as previously, but he-ho I'll be 83 (if I make it) when I have to renew again.  Hope this helps for those in the HH area.   

25 minutes ago, sead said:

Many topics about this. Search for mine and you get all answers. Yes you have to do test no matter what

Probably the most pointless post in the thread........

As others said in the first 2 pages (you did read the thread.....) you need to specify which "test" you are referring to and it is likely to vary from one DLT to another.

If your topic was so great why not post a link..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Strange thing is that my new licence is valid for 6 years not 5 as previously,

This used to be/still is normal if you went after your birthday (when it expired) you would get 5 full years plus the extra to the relevant birthday date.

22 hours ago, taninthai said:

I did my bike And car 2 weeks ago ,,already had Thai bike and car license expired by three years ,had full U.K. car and bike license,had been onto their website and done the e learning process of 6 hours video followed by many multi choice questions,had certificate to say I completed all that.

Arrived at office and they wouldn’t accept anything I had said got to start again all day watching videos then 2 multi choice exams consisting 50 questions each,,,passed all that it was 4pm by then,they gave me two pieces of paper and told me come back next day and do practical driving and motorbike test,,next day passed both practical tests in 20 mins and got both licenses 5 years.

i never heard of anyone having to do all this before ,,,I think they had the hump because I let license expire for 3 years,,,they even said the e-learning certificate I obtained from there website was nothing to do with them and not from there website or system,,,lucky I was in a chilled mood that day and just went aloung with everything wasn’t that bad actually.

Once you have had a Thai licence you have to go by the Thai rules. It doesn’t make any difference if you still have another licence, you can only “officially” use it once to get a Thai licence.

They didn’t “get the hump” you may have done. They followed the rules. See remark 2.

FE367B1D-E847-4EDE-8DB2-3EA908E49825.thumb.jpeg.e6e849317ccbcaf61f2b294e33a021b0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Strange thing is that my new licence is valid for 6 years not 5 as previously

Your new licence is not valid for 6 years, but until your 5th birthday after the licence is issued.

Standard practice for anyone who knows this is to renew 1 day after your licence expires.